1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK 2024: Rea replaces Toprak?!

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Sep 2, 2023.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

When does Kawasaki announce they are leaving superbike racing?

27 and henry_carlson like this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They use superbike racing to not just sell motorcycles but to sell “Kawasaki” to the world. It’s cheap not just compared to motogp but also ads in various trade mags and all that crap. Motorcycles are a tiny piece of KHI’s business.

could they leave? Yeah. Will they? I’m convinced they’ll stay but I also thought Rea would stay at Kawasaki until he retired.

BigBird likes this.
  3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate Rea. If he can't beat Bautista straight up, he can just knock him down. If you can't win, take out someone who can.

418 likes this.
  4. mike998b

mike998b Well-Known Member

So who will KRT put on the bike, Redding, Bassani, Diggia…?

5. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Danny motherfuckin' Eslick!

ShadowBoxer and DJ Baker like this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I run the team? I go hard after Mir, Nakagami and Miller.

someone is being cast off at KTM and if I landed Miller, I’m jacking it to San Diego.

ShadowBoxer likes this.
  7. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

listening to the interviews and reading in between the lines, Toprak can make the political statements all day “I want a new challenge, and a new team to push myself.” All that means is BMW gave him the best cash deal, same with Redding. If Yamaha truly wanted to keep him they would’ve paid him anything. He’s the exact type of guy you want leading your team.

jd41, BigBird and ShadowBoxer like this.
  8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

That’s the only thing that would make JR65’s move rational I think too…

9. prm

prm Well-Known Member

My interpretation is that Toprak values titles. He knows he cannot win title against Alvaro while on a Yamaha thus a switch. For some reason he thinks there is a chance on BMW. Probably rode a well appointed one at Keenan’s before making decision. And I’m sure the pay at BMW didn’t hurt.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm sure at least part of it is he believes he is a better rider versus anyone else over there. Just like Redding did, Van Der Mark did, and probably even Gerloff does? Since Toprak knows he dominated them, and since the bike is supposedly getting better, he wants to try it.

Hopefully he and his crew chief don't claim they can fix it in under 90 seconds. :D

BigBird likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You want Toprak leading your team? I wouldn’t want him and Steppedinpoo developing a collective case of hemorrhoids for my buttshole cream.
    Toxic and I’d rather hire AI and Eslick.

No!

BigBird likes this.
  12. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

You'll go 0-3 on those 3 for sure.

Brad Ray would be a good gamble - keeps the Brits happy, he's media friendly, fast obviously, and now has at least some experience in the paddock.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Toprak won a championship in 21. He's currently 2nd place in points on the Yamaha.

Maybe they showed Rea a new R1?

;)

418 likes this.
  14. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Rinaldi out. Who will be Alvaro’s teammate?

15. prm

prm Well-Known Member

cpettit and Quicktoy like this.
  16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Bulega is leap frogging a lot of talent to that seat. His performance in previous years, except this year, is not particularly notable. I’ll be surprised if he does well.

17. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I could be wrong, but I just don't see Rea d0ing a better job beating Bautista on the Yamaha vs the Kawi. Is the Yamaha a better bike right now? I would say for sure yes. Is Toprak leaving something on the table that Rea is going to pick up and go better ..... hard to believe so based on what I have watched. Toprak on the BMW? He will probably get a little more out of it than Redding is currently but the bike/team/project are simply not as good as the Yamaha so they will have to make a big step too.

18. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that JR paid 800,000 euros to get out of his contract for next year.

19. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

You really kicking the R&D team in the nuts aren't ya :D

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Pretty much a swing and a miss on two of the three for “my” team but I’d be planting the seeds for the future.
    Nakagami might be doable but really, his value to me as a development rider ( native language with engineers) and for one race a year that’s not even a WSBK round.
    Gardner might be a good target but I think that might take a few seasons to pay off.

are there limits on the number of bikes/ riders a team can run in the rules?