1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really Scary Event

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

About the robbery or dogs being crated inside of a larger crate?

2. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

I appreciate that. Honestly, not the response I was expecting.

I wasn't going to add to the stories, but since I put it out there I will. I stopped at the store on my way home from work one day and got a call from my wife that our side door was unlocked when she got home, and there was glass on the kitchen floor. I told her to get out of the house can call the police immediately. Thankfully nobody was in there, but that drive home seemed to take forever. Someone broke the glass in our back door and unlocked it. They got away with my laptop, camera (back when those weren't on phones), and my Remington 870 Express Magnum. We moved less than a year later. Probably 7 or 8 years after that happened, we got a call from the sheriff that the gun was recovered during a routine house check of someone that was on house arrest. They probably weren't associated with the original burglary, but I am guessing after finding a stolen gun in their house, their house arrest turned into actual arrest and quite a while in the big house. The dogs are old and tired now, and although they aren't in crates during the day anymore, they would probably sleep through it if anyone broke in. However, our alarm system in the new house works. My parents have accidentally proved that multiple times.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

The alarm system at my shop is useless

They call us, then they call the cops, the cops cant get through the gate, so they drive by and shine a light and keep on driving.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's a catch 22. If the dogs didn't deter them then perhaps you end up with stolen stuff and missing dogs.

I worry about fire with them inside in a crate from which they can't escape.

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Rob, I hope both of you recover from this asap.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Sorry to hear this Rob. Glad it turned out well.
    Oh yeah...use SCREWS next time you hang something that heavy.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2055657741115546&t=142 :D

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Cops would rather do these calls all day and night than deal with the other 99% of bs they have to.

9. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Guy that broke into my house eventually got caught. One of his many charges was animal cruelty for shooting the dog in one of the burglaries.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

I took it as a joke but realizing this guy says some dumb shit I'm now second guessing myself.

Thx.

11. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Glad it turned out to be nothing. That would be scary. Lots to learn from a scenario like that. For me, that is a prime example of why you should have firearms (strategically placed) in the house and your wife should be trained in their use. A home defense type training course can be very valuable too. The wife and I took one through Sheepdog Response a couple years ago. It was helpful not just for firearm home defense but also for cameras, alarms, lighting, planning, etc.

12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Glad everything worked out to be OK Rob.

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Well, here's the other side to the crate debate. I'm a crate the dog guy....my girlfriend cannot find it in her heart to do it. So, she folded the crate and put it away and let him have the couch all day when she goes to the office twice a week.
    OK...fine. He also tends to like to curl up in my rocking recliner...cause it smells like his best sleepin' Buddy...he sleeps between my feet at night.

Last Tuesday she had to run to the store for 10 minutes...when she came back, he got all excited and tried to launch himself from the recliner. He's a pit, just under 70 pounds. Injured his knee on his right side back leg. He seems to be doing better now.
    But, he would not have been injured if he had been in a crate for that 10 minutes. I have an "I told you so" in my back pocket I'm trying not to release.

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I'm glad everyone at home is safe Rob.

Have you found the hole in the roof yet? (That made the wall wet)

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Crazy, but as I was driving home, I thought of your situation with your wife!! I don't know which is worse, but I was very afraid.

auminer likes this.
  16. Boman Forklift

You are so right, I paid $290k for that house.

Granted at the time, my son wasn't even born yet and my daughter was about 8 months old, and my wife didn't work outside the house, so I was worried how the hell will I afford this place.

17. Boman Forklift

Actually it isn't anything fancy, or an original, it was something my wife picked out at a store.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  18. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My hair would have turned white on the ride home. Glad it will, in time, turn into nothing more than an amusing story. Get a dog! If he does nothing more than make your wife feel safer, he's earning his keep.

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Isn't that one of the standard excuses/answers though?
    "How much was that?"
    "Oh, it was nothing, just something cheap I picked up at the store."
    The primary answer being, "oh this? I've had it for years."

20. Boman Forklift

Excellent point. I actually asked my wife if she wanted to go through firearm training now? I was pretty frazzled when I got home and it was still dark outside.

After going in, crying, and hugging my wife, I then took our dog outside. I noticed the gate swing shut at my neighbors house and yelled out to make sure it was him. It was him, but weirdly, if I had not gone through this, I would have assumed it was him and not have become anxious, even though it was still around 5 am. He was running out to grab his charger cable for his phone in the middle of the night, and then we spoke about what happened. He has only lived there for a couple of years, but we get along really well, and he asked me why the heck I didn't call him? He said I would have run over with a bat or something.....and honestly I didn't even think about involving anyone other than the police.