1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

covid psa

Discussion in 'General' started by David-imoddavid, Aug 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The source for the information didn't recommend that anyone take
    up smoking, they just noted that smokers were getting some protection
    from Covid. Their recommendation was to use nicotine, I don't know about
    NMN and if it does as good a job as a preventative. You can easily get
    nicotine without smoking.

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I have the same feelings with NAC. Most people don't know about it, but not only does it help liver health (for all us drinkers! :beer:) but it helps with the cytokine storm and reduces viral replication.

So not only is it a helpful daily supplement, but its a big help with viral infections.

tjnyzf and 27 like this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Been taking NAC everyday for years and years. At mid-way of 2020 I added Quercetin and Beta-Glucans and a few other supplements. There were a dozen OTC supps that greatly helped against COVID as well as your standard issue flu (and have been for years). I wished they were given more publicity to the wider public when it was needed.

Even something as simple as making sure your vitamin D levels were adequate (which you should be doing anyway for a vast array of health benefits) GREATLY improved COVID outcomes.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/news/hea...between-vitamin-d-levels-and-covid-19/2022/02

"The study is based on data from Israel’s first two coronavirus waves before vaccines were widely available. It found that people with a vitamin D deficiency are more likely to develop a severe or critical case of COVID-19 compared to people who had sufficient levels of the vitamin in their blood.

Patients with a vitamin D deficiency were 14 times more likely to have a severe or critical case of COVID-19. Additionally, the mortality rate for those with insufficient vitamin D levels was 25.6%, compared with 2.3% among those with adequate levels."

tjnyzf and Steeltoe like this.
  4. In Your Corner

Many people are deficient in vitamin D because the best source is
    exposing your body to the sun and people have been taught to smear
    themselves with sunblock and stay out of the sun. As with most things,
    moderation is the key. People who don't get much sun need to take
    D in pill form or eat foods high in vitamin D. Most milk has vitamin D
    added but a lot of people don't drink milk either because they think it's
    bad for you.

Another thing people have been taught to avoid is salt, which is a
    mistake. Your body needs sodium and is built to naturally excrete
    excess salt. Too little salt leads to osteoporosis and possibly diabetes.
    Too little salt can actually raise your blood pressure. Use salt in moderation
    and increase potassium intake, the two form a balance and what you
    don't need will come out in your urine. Athletes especially need salt and
    potassium in their diet to replace what they sweat out. Just look at what
    they give to people suffering from the heat to get them back on their feet.
    (I would add that there are a few medical conditions that require very
    low salt intake but most people aren't dealing with that)

Tomorrow we'll discuss the uselessness of avoiding cholesterol which your
    body also needs to function well. That well-marbled piece of steak whose flavor
    and mouthfeel is improved by fat is not bad for you. That box of highly
    processed food in the store labeled low cholesterol, however, IS bad for you.
    Buy fresh fruits and meats and vegetables and make a nice meal like your
    grandmother used to make and your health will improve and the food
    will taste better And put some salt in it, salt really improves flavor when used
    in the correct proportions. Putting some salt on that steak before it goes on
    the grill makes a huge difference.

One more thing, stay away from statins, they have many unwanted effects and
    studies have shown that statin users have no decrease in mortality rates. Doctors push
    statins on their patients because they are very profitable and they are financially
    incentivized to prescribe them. One of the most common effects is sore joints
    and nobody needs that, they get sore enough with age. Also, nobody knows what
    problems may result from long-term usage as it hasn't been studied much since
    they haven't been around that long.
    When my mother was fighting lung cancer near the end of her life she was also taking
    statins and, even though she had absolute faith in doctors one of her friends
    persuaded her to stop taking statins and she was amazed at how much better she felt.

Most things in moderation is probably one of the best pieces of advice ever given.

Rebel635, Phl218, Jon Wilkens and 3 others like this.
  5. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Damn, David! Speedy recovery, man.

I was an early adopter of Covid, likely patient zero in my town after a relative came to visit on a flight with a several sick people. This was pre-vaccine era. Several days later, I started feeling light headed. Within 3 hours I was in the ER in my small town, then I got to pay for an ambulance ride 2 hours to the nearest metro ER. They couldn't figure out what it was at the time. Bottom line, it left me with permanent issues that have changed the course of my life. Brain damage, memory loss, I had to re-learn to walk. Bedridden for 6 months, followed by a wheelchair, walker, then finally walking about 8 months later. Blood clots in my legs. I developed severe atrial fibrillation, followed by surgery to semi-control those issues. Permanent loss of sense of smell. Intellectually, I am not the same person. I had no underlying health issues.

I'm not interested in entering a vaccine debate, or bringing up all the political shit that was spawned with Covid. My deal was before the vaccine was even available. Hearing all the spin on both sides of the isle makes me sick. Covid can still get you or your loved ones. Stay safe so you can care for those around you.

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I see the medical doctors with degrees from Google University are out in full force.

SnacktimeKC, freedomgli and R1Racer99 like this.
  7. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

W/M 72 years old. 5 foot 8 inches. 169 pounds prior to covid - 146 as shown in photo. no major health issues aside from just getting old. 26 pound weight loss.
    I'm not gonna let this beat me into a typical old man. I'm more pissed off than injured. I will rise again

Razr, MachineR1, TurboBlew and 5 others like this.
  8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Not true. I got Covid before the jab was available and had pulmonary embolisms in both lungs. Last month was my second time with them. ICU for 4 days, heparin drip and a thrombectomy in mid July.

9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

yeah a few guys explained that Covid causes the issue too… I wasn’t aware of that

10. David-imoddavid

gotta love folks with that type of attitude

11. David-imoddavid

I appreciate your question but I have no freaking idea what I was being given. I was literally out of my mind. Lots of iv's. Lots of some sort of inhaled med. I do remember having 4 iv ports active at the same time once. Most memories of what happened in the hospitals is gone.

12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Thanks again for sharing. The other guys informed me of the spike proteins being caused by the virus too and caused clotting which I didn’t know.

Glad you made it back and I admire your enthusiasm for making the most out of life. Best wishes for a healthy happy life from here on out.

David-imoddavid likes this.
  13. David-imoddavid

"The stubborn tough old guy, went on a missionary trip, 1 month after his amputation!!
    He eventually got his prosthetic leg and he is all over the place now doing his thing! And he's a happy man too.

That part of your life is behind you leave it there.. look forward and move forward!!

Best wishes and words of encouragement."

that is encouraging - thanks

MUFC1878, TurboBlew and StaccatoFan like this.
  14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I just want to know why nobody is in jail or in front of a firing squad.

Biggest crime of our lifetime occurred and nobody wants to take it to the beginning.

I would like to comment 1 thing. Whatever hospital you check into.....you'd better be damn ready to stay there. My dear dear friends mother ended up in the local hospital, week 2 came with a lung collapsed, week 3 kidneys shit the bed.

I had personally offered all expenses to medivac her to UofM hospital where most people were recovering and we knew people, unfortunately at that point no doctor would sign off to receive her....you gotta really know some people at that point.

We lost her at the week 4 mark, but I want you all to remember what I wrote, please.

If the University bad ass hospital is an extra hour drive, for good sakes....do it

15. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I got a bad case of it early on. Pre vaccine, Pre how the F do we treat this.

When I got to the hospital, the head ER Doc looked at me and said man. you are already septic. I couldn't breath at that point so I was already scared shitless, but the look on his face was haunting. I got put on a ventilator and was on it for 11 days. The amount of people I watched get rolled out in bags will forever be in my head. At one point they ran out of body bags and used black shrink wrap. Seeing some ones face imprint through that plastic wrapped to a bed will also stay with me.

When I got off the Vent, I was again told I was still septic, and there was nothing else they could do. That POS said that, and walked out the room. After hearing the Vent running and then complete silence in the room and that being said, my heart was the only thing I could hear.

The CCU nurse that took care of me most of the time came in and told me she was calling a doc that was doing a trial treatment and to hang on. When He showed up, he gave me took some blood, gave me some shots, and they removed the tube for the vent from my throat. They literally yelled at me to tell them I could breath after they popped the balloon and pulled the tube out. She saved my life.

I spent another 12 days in CCU. My lungs were struggling to recover. They told me to expect a lot of traffic in my room from docs and CDC because they were shocked I survived. They wanted me to go to rehab for a couple weeks but I signed out AMA. I never spent any time in a hospital other than watching other loved ones deal with issues and couldn't take it any more.

I went in a slightly fat healthy guy 50 yrs old who never got sick, never missed a day of work because I was sick, and no underlying health problems. I'm still dealing with the effects of covid to this day. I am Vaxed and boostered now and still trucking. Due for another shot so hope I don't Croak from it.

David, I wish you the best and am glad you are here to tell your story!

tony 340 likes this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

All of the research explicitly points to obesity being a major factor second only to age. Lots of people think they're in good shape when in reality being even slightly overweight multiplies the chance of a rough time.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
    gapman789 likes this.
  17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My son is a firefighter/paramedic. An extremely large percentage of the medical calls he responds to are a direct result of obesity.

18. In Your Corner

Sure, because only doctors know how to read. :rolleyes:
    Sorry, but there are a lot of dumb doctors out there. I've dealt with
    a lot of illnesses in the past 18 years and one thing I've learned is to
    trust my instincts and be my own patient advocate.
    If you want to trust someone just because they have an MD after their name,
    good luck to you.
    You know what they call the guy who graduates last in his class in med school?
    Doctor.

The last time I was in the hospital in February of 2022 they tried to
    give me a medication that is known to cause kidney failure and, since
    I already went through end-stage renal failure and was on dialysis for
    months and was lucky enough to recover kidney function which few
    people do, that doctor's advice was as boneheaded as it gets. When I
    refused the doctor told me that he HAD to ask me if I would take it
    (due to hospital protocols). The reason they wanted to give it
    to me was that their Medicare reimbursement would increase by 20%.
    It wasn't for the good of my health, it was for the good of the hospital's
    bottom line, which is just plain wrong. Since that experience, I have very
    little trust in doctors. Medicine is no longer a vocation, it's just another
    money-making business.

It's just as easy to educate yourself on medical issues as it is to educate
    yourself on rebuilding an engine, there's no magic involved, just work.

WillMill, Rebel635, R1M370 and 9 others like this.
  19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Aren’t you the same guy who couldn’t figure out where to park his vehicle so the tree service didn’t drop a limb on it? If so no amount of reading is going to make you any brighter. You know what they call people who Google things and think they understand it? A Dumbass.

20. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I'll reserve judgement on this particular topic but, generally speaking, I find this line of thought troubling. If Google returns the same information as my university library and I make a conscientious effort to fully comprehend multiple viewpoints on a subject of interest, does that make me a dumbass?

Rebel635, R1M370, GixxerBlade and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.