1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpaceX

Discussion in 'General' started by Chasbro, Sep 28, 2019.

1. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I would 100% be down there if I didn't have, ya know, responsibilities.

As much as I'd love to see the first, my plan is the same as yours.

2. rwdfun

rwdfun

Source? That date seems about 10 days too early for Musk. Maybe they are working toward the 10th knowing there will be delays because you know he wants it on the 20th.

As for watching, based on permits, by the time this thing is consistently flying and worth a trip knowing you'll actually see it go, they may be flying it more frequently from KSC. I think they are only allowed to launch 5-6 a year from Boca

3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Absolutely wouldn't be surprising for it to move to the right - already some reports that overnight it moved at least a week out. That said, there was/is definitely indicators that they were shooting for the 10th.

https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1643363784017453057?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Nasa's WB-57 is slated for "imaging" April 10th-12th. This plane has been expected to be used to help document the re-entry.

Current Operations Plan Advisory (faa.gov) - Starship listed on the 10th with backup days

Marine notices - https://twitter.com/Alexphysics13/status/1642028439539425283

4. rwdfun

rwdfun

Thanks for the additional info, my post was sort of tongue in cheek to say Musk likes weed but the NASA plane means it's getting serious for sure.

I took the Marine notice and tried to draw a straight line on the globe to see it's path to Hawaii. My attempt seemed like they had to make some corrections to get there. My straight line starting from Boca out along the centerline of the Gulf marine bulletin put it more over Australia and south of Hawaii. Projected path looks to put it mostly over water on it's way to and from Africa.

mpusch likes this.
  5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

4/20 does seem inevitable!

Here is an estimation done by Jonathan McDowell on the trajectory - https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/1642283054780522497?cxt=HHwWgoCxzZbvx8otAAAA

6. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

So what is going on the 17th? Starship test flight.

7. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

As in, payload? Nothing to the publics' knowledge. There's not really any way to deploy a payload on this specific article.

And they just got their launch license, so the 17th is going to get an attempt!

motion likes this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Don't you need some sort of ballast payload to truly test the flight parameters? As I understand it, this was the original reason Musk loaded his Tesla in a rocket a few years back. No reason to let an opportunity to showboat slip past.

9. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Frequently that's just done with cement, though like you said, elon enjoys making it interesting.

Could be something inside the ship they have cameras on, but that seems to be the limit of what they could do.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Maybe a payload of 20 billion dollar bills, to represent how much he over-spent on Twitter, just because he can.

11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Is the ballast weight just for balance under thrust? I think the directional thrusters that let it land standing up could compensate? Idk

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't think it matters if they can compensate or not. You want to test under the real conditions to avoid surprises.

13. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

yeah makes sense…. Though what I meant was that the ship was designed for repeated flights/trips/landings each with probably varying payloads? And with the landing electronics keeping stability on descent in strong winds with less weight on the way down? Idk… I have to be wrong…. But I’d think stabilizing the rocket with payload weight would be much easier on the way down. Especially if the ballast weight is added toward the bottom end? Wouldn’t you want to have the landing control units getting the most range of acceptable instability on the initial test flights to get data on suboptimal landing scenarios?… like say if crew members had to suddenly bail from mars or the moon without payload? And their emergency landing has to happen with unfavorable weather? or if there’s a slow fuel leak they couldn’t fix and they have to shed weight to make it back? Do I sound stupid? Honestly?

cannot brain right now. Haven’t had my bucket of coffee

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know, man. You're the scientist. :D

15. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Definitely right about the balance! Ballast would be towards the top end of the ship where the payload bay is. Bottom is all fuel tank. Given the engine weight, they've actually had to move one of the header (landing fuel) tanks to the tip of the nose to help with balance.

You're right of course about checking edge cases but they'll have dozens of flights (at least) before a human gets on one.

They also aren't testing the flip and landing burn on this flight, just reentry. Frankly, if it makes it all the way through descent without disintegrating that would be amazing.

16. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Gotcha. Thanks for clarification :flag:

mpusch likes this.
  17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Tweet from Musk was something like: "Success possible. Excitement guaranteed."

If I knew 100% sure definite absolutely going to without a doubt happen at a given time I'd make the trip down to see this live in person, but I just don't have time to take a week off for such a fluid situation.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Shit ain't gonna pick itself up.

19. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Those header tanks that contain the landing propllant are separate in order to have greater insulation and minimize boil-off, avoid sloshing on entry and not have to press up the whole main tank. Balancing may indeed be a benefit but that’s not the reason for the current placement.

20. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1178931253229187072