1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autopilot Tesla's killed 11 different people, 4 motoryclists

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Oct 19, 2022.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I thought the first rule of AI was...

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

And Elon owns that, too.

BigBird likes this.
  3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Watch the end of the movie Gamer to see what happens to Musk, Bezos and Zucker in the future.

4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Had this happen to me about 1yr or so after I started riding. The same guys who introduced me to riding track, taught me to offset in traffic so I wasn't directly behind a vehicle.

On the way to work one morning, 0430-0500ish, in San Antonio on I-35. Stop and go due to an accident or something. I remember it was a red van/suv/crossover type vehicle in front of me. I pulled off to the left edge of the lane. Caught the headlights of the car behind me still moving in my mirrors. By the time I could turn my head to look behind me he slammed into the car that was in front of me at a pretty good clip. Hard enough to for the frame to give like they are designed to do, hood all folded up, back end of the front vehicle pushed in, etc... That really reinforced the need to continue this practice, and get as many people as I can to do it as well.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    Triple X, Razr and BigBird like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Had that happen on the auto adjust cruise on the suburban, it would catch guardrail going around a curve on the interstate and slam on the brakes - scary as hell on occasion and would be even worse had anyone been behind me.

6. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

From what I've read Tesla has skimped on the safety and redundancy systems in the interest of getting the tech out there first. My wife's MachE has blue cruise. The camera watches your eyes and if they drift from the road for more than 2-3 seconds the system warns you then disables. Likewise the occupant sensors in the seat and belt make sure someone is in the drivers seat. Not something you have in the Tesla from what I've read. Tesla getting rid of the radar and ultrasonic sensors and relying 100% on vision is going to result in deaths until they get the bugs worked out. The sad thing is they should have had plenty of opportunity to get the bugs out. Their shadow software capability that runs on everyone's car (testing this software while radar was still there) should have been able to pick up on these failures when the vision system didn't react to what the radar was picking up. Now that they've pulled the radar they're on the back foot trying to figure out why vision is missing the motorcycles. Keep an eye on your mirrors in the meantime.

7. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

https://www.advrider.com/report-aut...ird-fatal-tesla-motorcycle-crash-this-summer/

Portion of the article:

Now, authorities in the US have confirmed that Autopilot was engaged in a third crash between a car and a Tesla last summer. In that collision, Ingrid Eva Noon was killed when she was struck by the car in Palm Beach County, Florida.

In that case, the initial sheriff’s report indicated the car driver was impaired, which led investigators to dig further into the situation. Now, investigators have confirmed that the car involved was operating under the Autopilot system at the time of the crash. Was it to blame? No, because as we’ve told you before, Tesla’s website tells us:

Autopilot advanced safety and convenience features are designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving. Autopilot introduces new features and improves existing functionality to make your Tesla safer and more capable over time.

Autopilot enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically within its lane.

Current Autopilot features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.

SMDH!!

8. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

FortNine...

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Don't minimize that there is always a minimal financial risk that a corporation is willing to accept which just impacts their overall profit margin. How much will it cost Tesla to pay for the 11 deaths that they are being blamed for by the time they draw the settlement out for years and out lawyer the victims' families? As a corporate entity, it may make good business sense to accept killing a few motorcyclists for the sake of profit and promoting self-driving, in the long term.

418 likes this.
  10. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

That makes no sense. I am simply pointing out that far more deaths happen every day due to drunks or alcohol...yet no one gives a crap. However...the Tesla takes a few out and everyone is in an uproar over it....pretty damn sad.

fastfreddie likes this.
  11. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, did you just teleport from 1970s? People don’t care about drunk driving in North America?

12. 418

418 Expert #59

Now imagine that happening in a fully loaded tractor trailer...

My '22 Cascadia also sees bridge shadows as obstacles in the road when the sun hits right.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Are we becoming too fukn lazy to drive our cars now.

Jon Wilkens and 418 like this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

[​IMG]

We should all go back to cars with manual transmissions and AM radios.

fastfreddie, Saiyan66 and Banditracer like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

People are in an uproar over drunks killing people all the time.

418 likes this.
  16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

With a cassette or 8 track player under the dash.

pickled egg likes this.
  17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Short trip for me.

pickled egg likes this.
  18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Drive, park, open doors and hatches, navigate...the list is long.

fastfreddie, beac83 and pickled egg like this.
  19. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Great. So cruise control today needlessely slams on the blakes AND causes traffic to turn into a pack on the highway. So its useless AND unsafe?

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

To add to this:

All driver’s tests should be done driving a ‘65 Rambler with a 3-on-the-tree with bad bushings and bent linkage.

Grind a gear, get back on your Huffy. :moon: