1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autopilot Tesla's killed 11 different people, 4 motoryclists

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Oct 19, 2022.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I think your statement is correct, but that this wasn't viewed as a critical flaw.

<insert shrugging emoji>

2. Hmm, possible. Maybe they don’t see running into bikers as an error.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If these things are running over cyclists, both Bi and Normal, I once again suspect Venom 51 is doing some work coding on the side.

969 likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If I was writing the code they would have a much higher kill rate. :D

5axis, pickled egg and ChemGuy like this.
  5. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I hope one of these fucking things runs me over and kills me. Ill sue the shit out of everyone.

6. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Including a self-immolation mode? Please...

7. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Tesla reworked their algorithms very recently and removed their radar from autopilot, they call this new approach "Tesla Vision" and it doesn't work well clearly.

They always describe their cameras as high definition but that's not like an NFL telecast, it's like X number of pixels on a flip phone camera in black and white. And at a high rate of speed you can imagine a small object takes a long time to be recognizable as not a shadow or reflection.

They also have a problem with phantom braking on this new "Tesla Vision", where it imagines something is in the rise and panic brakes and then kinda oopsie's it's way back to normal. Owners are pressuring them hard on phantom braking and as you might imagine there's a lot of pressure to loosen it up on small objects this may or may not be a motorcycle.

8. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Also I have to say, in no way is this a defense of Tesla, but motorcycle commuters should Always Be Passing and never allow themselves to be exposed between two cars when stopping, offset to the lane splitting position so if some teen on their cell phone doesn't see you they hit a car adjacent to you, not you

5axis, MELK-MAN and BigBird like this.
  9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

:stupid:

10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

My big beef is i never agreed to be on the road with cars that arent being driven.

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Not if it kills you 11 times.

BigBird and pickled egg like this.
  12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

That only makes sense if you assume those trips wouldn’t have been made if not for the autopilot technology. I doubt this is true. It’s likely just replacing human driven miles on a 1-1 basis.

To understand if it’s more risky, we would have to know how many total trip miles are taken in autopilot mode per fatality, normalize it based on trip characteristics, and compare it to the same number for human driven miles. I’d wager it’s an order of magnitude less for autopilot.

No transportation technology is going to produce zero fatalities. That’s an impossible standard.

The technology will vastly improve during the mass adoption phase. It’s impossible to perfect something like this without real world use.

Also, while we’re stringing up Elon can we at least take care of Bezos first? Insofar as techie toads go he’s by far the most odious.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm ignorant, why is Bezos worse? I think both of them are pretty incredible with what they have done. I try not to use Amazon, but I still do occasionally.

I'm the idiot that will drive to a few local stores trying to buy whatever, and then if I can't find it I will buy it at amazon. I still try to support local. Now I have a great friend that he and his wife buy everything from amazon. I tell them I'm trying to keep the local big stores, as well as mom and pops around, and his opinion is, that stuff is dead, why delay the ultimate death, just use amazon now?

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I take it your friends are shortsighted? o_O

Rebel635 and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

How do you sell someone the lie that they have a "self driving " vehicle, but have to be awake, facing forward, and damn near touching the steering wheel anyways ?

What was the point ?

Just walk into moving traffic and get it over with, loser

Tesla owners will be the reason you cannot run your air conditioner in the dead of summer in a few years. Fuck those lunatics. The power plants just burn more coal

17. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

It just isn't Tesla's truth...

SuddenBraking and hotnail like this.
  18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

2 wrongs don't make a right.....

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The state of Texas claims one motorcycle death per day. I'm not riding that day!

20. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

EV's are the problem, not the solution.

TurboBlew likes this.