1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK | 2023 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by koth442, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Do what? Why would he go to LS2 because of alpinestars?

cbush likes this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I believe they are one of three teams he's talking to.

henry_carlson likes this.
  3. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

What brands are making helmets that are not liner, EPS, and shell?

six6two likes this.
  4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

What teams do you believe he might perhaps be talking to in addition to GRT? Not that it really matters, just curious what other options he’d have, or consider.

5. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Bell Flex Star, Fly Formula (dirt), 6D that I am aware of. At least they have variable density EPS everywhere and a dedicated means of managing rotation. Some (Arai I think) have different densities of EPS, but its a single density in any one area. A lot of money has been going into the science of helmets, especially the NFL, and they are learning how to better protect the brain. It really seems to be coming down to better absorbing rotational energy and better managing impacts at all speeds. Especially slower impacts ironically.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    six6two and cbush like this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

GMT94. Didn't ask who third one is.

7. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

I used to think this also. I had a easy lowside in the grass wearing a 6D. Was briefly knocked out following several no memory blocks for the next several hours. I sent the helmet back to 6D for inspection. They sent it back and said it was safe to use still. I'm back in Arai. Just my experience.

koth442 likes this.
  8. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Yeah, it’s my understanding that there is little or no compelling data that helmets from one manufacturer are definitively safer than helmets from other manufacturers. Controlling for other variables, liner/foam/shell is the established benchmark. Tech will almost certainly evolve, but I haven’t heard of anything coming to market soon.

Dano711 likes this.
  9. six6two

six6two AWD

Thank God for 6D!!! Without them I would no longer be racing!

10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

On the latest Off Track podcast they interviewed Gerloff. They indicated they heard a rumor he was going to Puccetti Kawi. Garrett would not confirm.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Was that the he same Kawasaki Team Roger Hayden went to, and they weren’t very good?

12. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

Was it a "Sorry guys *wink* *wink* I can't 'confirm' " sort of "not confirm" or dry tone no hidden message kind of "not confirm"?

Either way, it means the rumors are sort of true. They are talking, and it's serious.

13. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

GG isn't gonna confirm or deny anything at this time. But my peeps say green team has been off table for a while. But could also be a decoy for talks.

14. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Of course he’s not, they even stated that when asking. I did not get a feel from him either way (voice only). Gerloff did make a statement saying “I’ve heard other rumors too”.

koth442 likes this.
  15. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Seems to be the same rumor that I posted last month. Some “in the know” Italian, who is tight with all the journalists, says its Kawi. I thought it was interesting how he spoke about Yamaha, I almost got the impression he was staying blue in 23.

16. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Word on the street is Domi Aergeter, Remy Gardner, Taz Mackenzie and Gagne are all in talks with GMT94.

17. Hayden259

Hayden259 Active Member

I bet if he switches, it is to the new alpinestars RR helmet. Dovi is testing it this week during the MotoGP test supposedly

18. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I had to google that, but that was Pedercini, not Puccetti. I don’t see Kawi making any major bike changes. At least BMW is trying. Not sure there is a big difference between the two now.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I “heard” the A* road race helmet was a dud. Dovi was back with Shoei (but they won’t pay him, hence no branding).
    Now, same person said the A* dirty bike helmet is insanely good.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

What you need to know about helmet brands outside of Arai and Shoei and to an extent AGV is that many of them share the same factories around the world. And the reason is helmet shell production most of the time.
    So if you start comparing the production tags in the liner of 4 or 5 top brands you may see the same type style, color, and general info printed on the tags.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    stk0308 and cbush like this.