1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK | 2023 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by koth442, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I know GP is the big show, but it would make way more sense for the MA guys to try and get into the WSBK paddock like Garrett did. It seems that the Moto2 bikes are super stiff and do not give a ton of feedback unless you’re on the limit with them. Cam also said at one point that the bikes don’t like to slide at all - wheels have to be in line to get the most out of them.

Our series is very much production-based and unless there are some significant rule changes, it’s gonna be tough to compete against guys who have already had a lot of GP chassis experience by the time they get to Moto2.

418 likes this.
  2. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I agree with this. Cam was never really a crasher, and he shows pace at almost every round. I think he's made some big gains this year, but has had some issues learning to maintain the bike at the limit. But it's obvious that he's on the limit.

3. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

scholtz is washed imo. year after year after year we watch him come up short. idk what attack does tbh. Corey A, PJ? id take those two way before scholtz and richie.

418 likes this.
  4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Disagree, if they get a chance, why not try to step up?

Everyone points to the successes of the Spanish/Italian riders, but ignore how many of them also "fail out". While their feeder programs are certainly "more robust", you don't expand your presence by not trying.

IMO.

5. 418

418 Expert #59

But this is the reason I want him to go to Attack. So we can see if it's him...or the bike.

Saying that, there was some electronics guy swapping mid season with them and no doubt that has affected Westby team performance. Wonder what happened there?

cav115 likes this.
  6. henry_carlson

gotcha gotcha , i did not know the thing about the electronics guy, thank you for sharing. I suppose I think he already is on an attack bike and he is what he is, but maybe like with Gerloff, a change of team will lead to a step up. I could also see Wesby not making a rider change as that team seems very much like a family.

418 likes this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Others will know his career better than I, but don’t forget he ran USGPRU 125’s very successfully. He also was Marq Marquez’s teammate, I believe in the 125 class. Unfortunately from what I heard it wasn’t an equal opportunity for both riders.

However, I believe Cam had as much GP bike experience as most any other rider back then. Same with Joe Roberts, ran 125s here, red Bull for 3 years and then back and forth between the states and Europe. A little 600/1000 training with California Superbike and ran the crappy Honda 600 over here one year, but then multiple years of moto2 experience.

Senna likes this.
  8. Namarow

Namarow Well-Known Member

I would love to have seen a refreshed and super aggressive Gerloff on the Moto2 bike. The way he was the end of first season. If BMW signs him and tells him to ride the #$%# out of it maybe we will see that guy again. I truly hope so. He got off the line great in last race finally but still not a threat to the top.
    Cam.. remember, moto2 grid is insane. Top 15 often under a second between them. He is closer than it seems. But they need to figure out the last step. He is almost 30. American racing, I love them!! But I wonder if it is a resource thing? You look at that bike, there are no major sponsors. There are thankfully some associate deals, but when you look at the other top teams, they are bursting with $$$. It's a real shame an American team, with a real American superstar and an upcoming rookie can not attract $$$. David vrs Goliath stuff.

Boman Forklift and koth442 like this.
  9. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Respectfully disagree with this.

EVERYONE not named Cam or Jake has come up short in the last 6 years and practically nobody has race wins/podiums that come remotely close to Scholtz.

He's still super aggressive and a beast on that bike - the Westby team is great but clearly they are fighting an uphill battle that's only really fixed with a truckload of cash and/or a generational talent on the bike that can overcome it's shortcomings.

Ritchie would be my pic if a spot at Attack opened up for next year. He's:

Young.
    Aggressive.
    Talented.
    Aptitude for learning. (look at the first 4-5 rounds vs the past couple - he's VASTLY improved)
    Potential for outside sponsorship maybe with Honos or any Mexican company looking for a presence in road racing.

I don't know much more about him or his behavior but given the current choices for riders, he'd be the first guy I'd call and have an exploratory convo with if he isn't locked up with Hammer next year.

henry_carlson, 418 and Senna like this.
  10. 418

418 Expert #59

Scholtz has had the luxury of being on the same team for years on end and I think that bike has become an absolute weapon. I think it is time to produce and they know it.

I agree, Matt is tough as nails and a great rider but there seems to be a piece of the puzzle missing and I think that team is at a crossroad.

We'll see.

henry_carlson likes this.
  11. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

All true!

I know he was badly injured and recovered from that so that took away a large chuck of his time but there's also guys like KW33, Toni, Roger, Herrin, and maybe more who were also on top tier teams and fell short (Toni/Josh were the exception 1 year but fell short the other 4-5).

Maybe Stanboli just has a lock on some key proprietary insight that allows his team to flourish a fraction more than the others?

12. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

I think you're onto something. I'd bet you a top tier crew chief and/or suspension guru would help Cam tremendously. I'm so thankful for what American Racing team does, but they are not the best funded team in the paddock and I doubt they have top talent when it comes to crew. When you're on a grid as competitive as Moto2 where basically everyone runs the same chassis, it's a spec motor, and spec tires, I think crew really really matters.

Namarow likes this.
  13. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

Definitely.

14. henry_carlson

yes washed was v. rude and a bit strong... i suppose maybe i meant to say "clutch" or has what it takes to get it over the line. I am over thinking that he is a title contender in that top tier and until he shows me otherwise, I wont be expecting it. Going back its always something, Atl race 2 this year sums it up.... Danilo goes out immediately and the points lead is in his reach and he cant even last 3 laps. the bikes there and i think its been there for over two years now.

i like ur pick in ritchie.. i think Stanboli likes him too. he mentioned him as someone who deserved a sbk ride last year iirc.

15. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

If any of you cluckin' hens have any actual 2023 WSBK Silly Season info to share, please do so.

It's like a fucking sewing circle in here.

16. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Yup, but the "cluckin hen" remark sorta ruined the leaks...... for now at least.. :Poke:
    Couple of 'em are head scratchers fo sure.

17. henry_carlson

Well man theres not much news and we love to gab. Grab some skewers and knit away with us. Same goes for you @Yama-saurus sir, you two probably could fill us in better than most.

koth442, MyWayGuy and Yama-saurus like this.
  18. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Sewing...not knitting. Pay attention. This is a WSBK thread, not a WSBK yarn. :D

19. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

There's a couple snippets to possbily be "leaked", but certain folks would know exactly where it came from and I can't risk loosing those connections for various reasons... professional and personal.

20. henry_carlson

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup: