1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Automotive) BMW Knowledgeable Folks: I Need Your Insight

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Jul 12, 2022.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

You’ll have to let me know what you think of the Lotus.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I can tell you so far it was a real pain to climb in and out of with the top on. I have wanted one since the Elise came out in 05. On the small test drive on a straight road where I never got above 5k rpms, because the engine was cool, it felt slow. I've read they need to really be warmed up or you can have a problem with the second set of cam lobes, so I didn't punch it and experience the cam coming in and the super charger. Plus the real beauty would be the handling and I didn't get to feel that either. But I still want it. :)

Just do your research, it looks pretty nice, just the newer BMW's scare me. I've heard the turbos in the valleys motor has some problems, but I've not researched it, since that is not a model I have really looked at.

Senna likes this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

We have some really nice canyon roads out here where a lightweight forced induction car with a good amount of torque in the midrange would be a beast. Like an Alfa 4C or similar.

5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

$35k for a reliable 200mph vehicle....dream on.

S65 AMG, remove the governor and tune it to the hilt

Doubt it would hit 200mph on any roads here. It would on the right autobahn/runway.

I've had one to 155. When it cuts out, ya lose all control. Very scary situation.

Get that Cadillac thingy $120k

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

7. Boman Forklift

The guy I'm buying it from also owned an Alfa 4C and sold that a month or two ago. He claims he likes the Lotus better. He is selling these cars to come up with down payment money for a house. He also owns an Ariel Atom, and he thinks he is still keeping that car, so I guess we know which one he likes best. Can't blame him, I think he said it has 350HP and it weighs 1350lbs, so it has a much better power to weight ratio.

The Atom is another one of the cars I really want to own one day, and if the proper one would have popped up before this one did, I easily could have gone that route. Because in reality, even though my wife might ride in the lotus a time or two and enjoy it, I think she would like the Atom much less.

8. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Ya finally got your Lotus.... brilliant.

9. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

C6 Z06 is cheap, reliable, and has a claimed top speed of 198 stock. I haven’t had the balls to do over 160 yet, maybe one of these days.

twodocs and tl1098 like this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Im curious is that because it becomes squirrely, or not a long enough road, or just the mental aspect? I think the most I’ve ever done is 160-165 indicated but don’t know what the real number was.

On a long enough straight, I would like to think I could hit those speeds, if the vehicle handled properly.

Heck my dragbike goes 140-145 in the quarter and I wanted a quicker engine for that but can’t justify the expense for how little I get to race it. It was supposed to be a 8:20 bike but is only a barely 8.9 bike.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  11. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

He said European v8 that can hit 200mph.

12. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Was a BMW tech for years. The N63 in any version is the biggest pile of money pit shit on the planet.
    Fun cars, huge cost.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Oooooo…. I was worried for a second that was my engine as I don’t remember what it is?

Looks like I have the M62.

well google just told me it’s pretty good till about 150k, then you can have vanos issues, alternators, etc. Hell that is better than my Toyota Prius. Already had to replace the hybrid battery, electric water pump, a few sensors and now it needs a head gasket. Who would thought a bmw could be more reliable that a toyota?

14. R1Racer99

Definitely just not wanting to get caught. Getting to 150 doesn’t take much road but 180-200 I’d be worried about passing a cop and losing my license or car. I love doing dumb stuff with the car and bikes but I try to be smart about it.

15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

My tuner has started getting some work from former race clients that are now doing top speed runs (on roads) with Panagale V4's , ZX-10's, etc. Those idiots are getting to the high 190 MPH mark, I can't recall if they're hitting 200 yet. The difference is it doesn't take nearly as much road to get up to that speed on a bike. In a car you'd have to have it pinned for MILES!

Makes for some fun Go Pro videos.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Somebody done knocked out yer drivin' lights! :D

17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

For the record, I'm looking at trying to hit the two ton mark on a closed course. A guy I bought several Zumas from made me aware of this event. He gets to 200 on a 'Busa.

https://www.ectamile.com/

18. R1Racer99

That looks like fun, wish they that around here. 200 in a car in 2kms has gotta be tough though, what kind of power and weight do you need for that?

19. ORIF

ORIF Well-Known Member

I rented an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio last weekend. Biggest surprise ever for me behind the wheel. The engine is designed by Ferrari. A complete holigan of a car. Stock top speed is supposed to be 190 plus.
    And they are actually resonably priced to boot.
    I would buy one in a heart beat if i was looking for fun sedan.

alfa.jpg

Crafar loves his.

20. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

@145 my A6 wanted to swap ends. X5M still fees planted, but that’s my wife’s car.

Get an H2 or nitrous Busa.

Alternatively, go to Miami and rent a Bugatti. Only $25k (per day)