1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

My experience is that even $200 winders aren't very good. They are noisy and the mechanisms die easily. I'm interested if anybody has a recommendation of one that has worked for a long time and is decently quiet.

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

+1 here.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Damn! Worthless, that's a looker! Love it!

worthless likes this.
  4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Finally went with a black leather NATO. Nice leather quality if a little thick for a NATO, which made the install a little complicated.
    Not sure with the proportions. What do you guys think ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jedb likes this.
  5. Jedb

Looks good!

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

My advice is skip the winder. They make no sense to me. I had one years ago but realized that it's really easy to wind and set a watch. Why have the thing running all the time and under spring tension when you're not even wearing it? Do you put your car on rollers and keep it running to charge the battery?

If it dies, that just means you get to play with it and feel that buttery smooth Rolex mechanism that we all pay too much for. Win.

worthless and Philip Mirgliotta like this.
  7. Jedb

Original fish bone bracelet that fits just right! Stopwatch returned to zero, and it seems to be keeping accurate time!!
    The Crystal is a bit scratched, but nothing too severe. The fact that the stopwatch function returns to zero is pretty significant. Most of this age are off by +/- 3 sec.
    Not bad for goodwill. :)

Attached Files:

cha0s#242, worthless and ChemGuy like this.
  8. cha0s#242

None of my Seikos ever had the chronograph not return to zero, even after many years of use. Never had a more reliable watch.

9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I have this 1, it's relatively quiet but can't speak to longevity except for 8 months.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V43VN2...imm_JEEXRW6JRDGD01M1262A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1.

The trick is to buy it with a smart plug so you can "program" TPD.

Last year Amazon had flash deals prior to Black Friday for Wolf Winders. I picked up a $550 double model for $220. Maybe wait to see if they do that again, I'll post if I see it.

10. Jedb

What era were your chronographs? Mechanical or quartz? I know the one I sent you was in good form.
    It's a pretty common thing with some of the vintage era seiko stuff. I'm pretty stoked it's running well after 24 hours and dead on accurate with my cell phone.
    Got 13 vintage ones so far. :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  11. cha0s#242

The solar one you sent me has been completely awesome. So is my Honda Racing edition quartz. Never skipped a beat. I've never had a Seiko mechanical though.

Jedb likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I thought about a winder for the old one because there is no option to set the date other than keep rotating for 24 hours per day until it is correct. But then the wear and tear wasn't worth keeping it going all the time, better to have no wear if it's not being used daily.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, had a pricey winder that I used to rotate the watches through every few days. Just lost interest in it and I just never wore some pf the watches enough to justify plugging the stupid thing in.

Might still have it around somewhere but no interest in even looking for it.

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I think most watchmakers would prefer that a mechanical watch not sit for long periods. The lubricants tend to not do well. My guess is that it doesn’t matter much either way.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That makes sense too. I guess the only proper thing is to wear them all in rotation :D

16. Jedb

It's like we've come full circle...

17. Jedb

My Rolex Oysterdate Precision is a manual wind, non-quickset date as well. Once it's off, it doesn't come back for a month, so I don't have to wind it endlessly to get the date to advance. PITA, but a lovely watch to look at.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzBsbOEBl1L/

18. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

KIMG0173.JPG KIMG0171.JPG KIMG0172.JPG I never wear this watch, or any watch for that matter. Purchased Dec 2002.
    Just checked the serial number and it's a 1984 President - Day-Date.

Could probably use a good cleaning and serving.

worthless, yzfpat and j cal like this.
  19. Jedb

20. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Cheers for the info....I'm clueless regarding watches.
    I paid $7000 for it.