Seriously...when is it time to quit?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That would be fantastic.

50Joe likes this.
  2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I really wanted to do this in 2020 but Covid fucked up all plans. They added the historic class at some rounds which made it even harder to get us in.

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea that Vintage SBK class at Indy caught my eye. If you make it up here and need any help, I'll pm you my number.

50Joe likes this.
  4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I'm working with Russ Grainger on getting into MotoAmerica. There is interest. It all just comes down to the board giving it a go ahead. I think it would be awesome marketing for the series, disabled community etc. It was all over all media when Wayne took his first ride after 32 years. Imagine the hype if he led us around the track for 4 or 5 laps at a prime US track. The moto and disabled community would come to a halt to watch it.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

If you do Come to Indy Joe, I would seriously love the opportunity to host you to St. Elmo’s or Ocean Prime. We’ll be at Indy as well as would be happy to add you to our group. As well, I think you would be an inspires toon to my brother who is also para. Let’s talk when it gets closer.

Trainwreck and 50Joe like this.
  6. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Hell, I'll let you take me to St. Elmos!

Razr and rd400racer like this.
  7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

If we can only get one date, I want it to be Indy for several reasons. First, it is the most central track so it would draw the most para riders and second, it's Indy.

grasshopper likes this.
  8. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Absolutely inspiring sir. You have gone through most of our greatest fears. A man that never gives up and does what he loves regardless is a mans man in my book! Absolute STUD!

9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Look up The Bike Experience USA. They are a non-profit based out of Ohio with their sole mission to get disabled riders back on 2 wheels. They hold clinics usually in a college parking lot and have 3 or 4 adapted bikes a newbie can try out. They even have loaner riding gear. Just show up and give it a go. Zero costs.

We had a dirt guy join us at NCM. He had never been on a road course before. He used their loaner SV650. He loved it and is now trying to decide what bike to adapt and come back out with. We had 5 paras in total at NCM. Most para riders at one track at one time ever in the USA.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  10. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Oh hell yeah

MotoJoe, Yzasserina and 50Joe like this.
  11. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

So Joe, has Wayne R tried to get you to try karts?

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I wish. We haven't been in direct contact. Seems as though he keeps a tight circle.

13. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I just bought a laydown kart. I hope to run it next year a little in between bike stuff. Mine just has a small motor. Not one of the superkart monsters.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    50Joe likes this.
  14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

In answer to the original question: when you are performing like Rossi is right now.

Unless you are having fun and can afford it. Then do it as long as you want.

15. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Such a great thread... to hear the reasoning for stopping or coming back to the track.
    I personally raced a FZR400 back around 2005-2007.
    But daily family life obligations took president and I sold my bike.
    I kept my street bike (2001 R1) and did track days with it all these years.
    Picked up a salvage R1 and turned it into a full time track bike. Picked up a 87 FZR750RT and now the bug to RACE has taken over.
    Can't wait to get her on the WERA circuit in 2021.

Razr, rd400racer and tl1098 like this.
  16. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

7 years of MX,another 25 road racing.Was attempting to qualify for my 17th 200.Came in after the 1st qualifying session and Chambers stuck a mic in my face and asked how it was going.Sat there for a moment and then blurted out that that was it...Im retiring.Instantly regretted it and did for a couple of years but then started getting vertigo and didnt regret it anymore.Do miss all the travelling though

Razr likes this.
  17. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Replying to the original post -

A few thoughts:

- Ask yourself what your goal in the sport is...5 year, 1 year, 6 month, 1 month. Don't have one? There's your first problem.
    - Define what your success in the sport looks like....Having fun vs competition. What makes you smile at the end of the weekend.
    - Separate riding and being a gear-head. They are two different things and the lines get blurry, yet are two totally different things. (To be clear, being a gear-head is amazing, I'm totally one, but I don't mix my riding with the fun of wrenching)
    - Simplify the sport. Some of my best days at the track - ever - have been a bone stock Ninja 400.
    - Treat the sport....like a sport. Every aspect is trainable. Passion comes from doing something or having a pathway to do something - really f-ing well.
    - Take the sport more seriously. Treat everything in it as your life depends on it, because it does.
    - The logistics of the sport suck. Get with others where you can carpool and and pool resources.
    - Ask yourself, do you really want to improve? If the answer is Yes, then the time behind the scenes will clearly be worth it. If the answer is No, then, there's your answer.

While my situation is clearly different, at 56 years old I'm technically riding better than I ever have, still ride at a reasonably quick level and can't wait to get on a bike again.

Ken Hill

younglion, rcmike917, beac83 and 5 others like this.
  18. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

I listen to your podcast, and took your advice about making sure your fit ( I paraphrase). It helped immensely sir. It helped so much as a 40+ person.

I hope to be back on track when home, and other things are better. The closing of schools and such has thrown a huge wrench in things. Also my last year of troubles. Good things the troubles are over, and I'm not so nuts?

Razr likes this.
  19. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I'm about the same age as you and I agree with you for the most part but I don't necessarily see having fun vs competition as being mutually exclusive. Winning is fun. Same goes for riding vs. being a gearhead. I enjoy both a lot. I'm an engineer and I see at the time I spend working on bikes and other aspects of racing as an investment of time to get more engineering experience. It has pretty much doubled the amount of experience I have as an engineer because I not only do it on the job but I do it on my free time as well. The best analogy of benefits of this that I can think of is the gymnast who starts on the balance beam at 3 years old. By the time they get to 16 or 17 and are at the Olympics, their feel on balance beam is like they're standing on a 4'X8' sheet of plywood while for us regular folks it would feel like we are balancing on a razor blade. It doesn't take a special talent to practice, and the main difference between us and a world champion is how much we've practiced.
    I've been called out by some for being "too serious" about the level of detail I get into as far as bike prep, modification and other aspects of racing that they regard as inconsequential. It can be extremely difficult to think about and break these things down to the level where we start having original thoughts, but when we get to that place it also becomes extremely rewarding and fun. I believe that also has a lot to do with doing what it takes to win.

I do like to have one "project" bike that I can take my time modifying the hell out of and one to just ride without having to do anything but basic maintenance to it. That way I don't have to deal with the choice of making the development project work or not riding at all.

But I also thoroughly enjoy thinking about how I can improve my riding and believe that I am still improving. Simply doing it for 40 years has helped me improve some. However it's been over 35 years since I've been to a serious racing school and I think that it would definitely help in addressing some of the accumulated blind spots/bad habits in my own riding:D

These are the main reasons that I keep racing: There is still so much to learn, and the more I learn, the more fascinating and fun it becomes.

I don't know if this is all BS, but I still really enjoy it.

MV Rider, khill, dave3593 and 2 others like this.
  20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The desire to improve is key to keeping my fire burning. Sometimes you have to challenge that status quo- move up a class or to a different org with different competition. Setting goals is great, but when you achieve them, you need to raise the bar somehow.

I'm glad I read this thread, it has shown me that everybody deals with the same thoughts when it comes to the sucky parts of racing. Unfortunately that also removes another excuse from the excuse book. Oh well, time to prep bikes for Homestead!