1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seriously...when is it time to quit?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

I came back after years. Now with reduce hours and such I'm taking a year off selling my bike. I hope to buy a few dirt bikes for me and the kids.

Keep at it as long as your having a good time. My crash was not my end, I did go race again, but it wasn't fun like it used to be. I'll be back in a year or two. I'm done looking at my lap times.

By the way hi fellas.

BigBird likes this.
  2. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

Interesting thread, was just talking about why we quit to one of my old racer buds. For years I raced every chance I could plus track days, some of the best times of my life honestly, of course had the typical big crashes and knockouts too.

I remember my last race weekend, I guess it was 10 years ago at VIR, racing with another org. Ran the early races before lunch, did pretty good for a slow guy got my best results as an expert even set a new PR for me at VIR.

But it wasn't fun, like other have said, if it's not fun anymore, don't do it. I was there with my bro and we had raced hardcore for years, same for him. He crushed it in HW Twins, awesome but we were both like, man I think I'd rather be riding dirtbikes. We loaded up left VIR, got back home in time to go dirtbike riding, had a blast and that was that. Did some track days for awhile then sold all my roadrace stuff, started racing offroad GNCC, NEPG, harescrambles, etc., cheaper, just as fun for me, easier to manage.

It's been 10 years but...I still miss road racing, and now I have the means, my life is in a better place so.. yeah now looking/shopping race bikes and have some track days and maybe a race weekend or two penciled in on the calendar for next year.

Mike

Gino230, Wingnut, tl1098 and 5 others like this.
  3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

So I have a very different perspective. Paralyzed from a racing crash at age 47 back in 2013. Normally, I think most would say that's it. I vowed I would not let a big ass crash be the last thing I ever did on a motorbike. I bought a race prepped FZ07 from another WERA racer. Added some adaptions for me to ride and did a WERA track day back in May 2019. The bike wasn't fully prepped and we had some issues but I was out there. Kind of just circulating at first but then slowly picked the pace back up to the point where I could see trying it again. Fast forward to October 3, 2020 and a WERA race weekend at Road Atlanta. Instead of doing the N2 track day on Friday I decide to enter LWT SS on Saturday and run an official race. I started from pit lane, was slow as shit, got lapped but finished an official race as a paraplegic. I still wasn't sure if this is something to continue with. Fast forward again to the last weekend in October. I did a 2 day track day weekend. This was at NCM which really isn't safe for bikes with ARMCO way too close to the track but I had never been there before. So, I had to learn a new track which is very physical, not be too freaked out by the ARMCO, keep learning how to ride as a para and evaluate my progress all at the same time. By the middle of the second day things were starting to gel. I was holding myself back mainly due to the ARMCO and I had no reason to try and be a hero. I had a great time and felt, heck yea with a bit more track time at a familiar track I bet I could be within 10% of my old lap times. So, the bike will get more development over the winter and I'll be back out there again. I'll always need some help at the track so that makes logistics much harder. It takes a huge amount of effort for me just to show up. So for me it comes down to is the effort, time and cost worth the amount of enjoyment. I'm giving it one or two years max to make that call. But, what makes me feel best about the whole dealio is if I decide that the effort just isn't worth it, it is ME making the decision and not the paralyzing crash making the decision for me. To me, that is priceless.

seroj, Laz, Senna and 37 others like this.
  4. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Joe,

Just WOW!!

650 RACER, 50Joe and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My wife and I were looking at track photos a few weeks ago. It hit me when I noticed she wasn't smiling nearly as much as I was in the pics. She then said those times weren't as much fun as she made it out to be. It was a blast for me, and if I go back I'll leave her at home!

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'll never forget my ex wife saying something like, "You're out there having the time of your life, and I feel like I'm going to throw up from the time you put on your helmet until you take it off."

jlawrider and Phl218 like this.
  7. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

That is the most inspiration bit I've yet to read here.

If anyone has any questions/doubts about if they should or shouldn't ride/race... They should read you my friend. :flag:

Triple X, 50Joe and Buell1965 like this.
  8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I’m fortunate that my wife loves racing. She gets mad if I miss a weekend.

Senna and BigBird like this.
  9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My wife goes back in the trailer and hibernates when I'm out on the track. The only time she seems to get anxious is when things gets quiet all the sudden.....

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

she got any sisters? asking for a friend

Phl218 and britx303 like this.
  11. britx303

Oh lawdy yes........but she’s spoken for.:D

BigBird likes this.
  12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Puts things into perspective I suppose. Always wanted my ex and my kids to come along and enjoy the fun, but never did happen.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Marcos415

Marcos415 Well-Known Member

The week leading up to a race weekend or track day is endless stress. Loading the truck/trailer, making sure the bikes are mechanically sound, triple checking my riding safety gear is loaded, and making sure I didn’t forget any food or camping gear for the weekend. I contemplate quitting while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the way there whether it’s racing or a track day. But once I’m there and riding I’m having the time of my life and get mad at myself for contemplating quitting. I guess I’ll retire when it’s no longer worth it as others have stated.

Razr, SGVRider and BigBird like this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Women who don't enjoy the race scene better well make great sammiches.

Razr and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I get it too. It’s so much scarier to watch than to compete.

I remember one weekend when I was riding on a “team”, I had an injury and couldn’t ride, but came to BHF anyway to help the other guys. I ran an errand and when I came back, the gate outside T6 was closed and a MW race was about to start. I got out of the truck to watch, and when the leaders came screaming through on the first lap, spinning and sliding on cool tires inches apart, I looked away. I was like, fuuuuck that!!

From inside the helmet though, it’s all good. Perspective is everything.

418, beac83 and BigBird like this.
  16. britx303

This must be why mine likes the races..........so she doesn’t have make sammiches:p

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

One thing I always think about with respect to this is how I define myself. Am I a racer or am I an ex-racer. So far, I still define myself as a racer. I am wondering if I am working myself to being a racebike builder and crew chief?

Razr likes this.
  18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's where I'm at, I'd be happy to help somebody out that's looking to start.

Razr likes this.
  19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Joe, I don’t know if you live/race in the West (California) but if you do I’d be extremely happy to come out and help you.

KneeDragger_c69, BigBird and 50Joe like this.
  20. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Thanks man. I'm in the SE area. But, my para group of riders is working with MotoAmerica to try and get some time at a few select rounds and do some demo laps with Wayne leading us around the track. I'd like to get 3 rounds planned. West coast, Indy and COTA.