1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baseball Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 22, 2020.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I remembered that when his name was posted.
    I figured that one out as well. Those dungeon types don't stray too far from the talking points. :D

There should be some kind of rule that if a player gets X% (97, 98, 99, whatever makes sense) of the votes, anyone who didn't vote for him lose their voting privileges.

dtalbott, Yzasserina and R Acree like this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I wish Carlin was alive to do a commentary.

3. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Best part about yesterday was Kenny Walkers Sponge Bob Nascar style jacket or shirt or what ever the hell that thing was he had on. Classic!

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

The game itself is perfect. The hall is a joke.

83BSA likes this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Used to love Baseball and was a die hard Red Sox fan. Went to indifference and mild hatred of the game for a few years (maybe even a decade) until this year. Nothing was on the TV one day so I watched a game. That turned into watching another which turned into watching about every day regardless of who the teams were (except for the Yankees, they can suck on a cow's asshole) which turned into watching it, listening to it on the radio while the kid was at practice and looking at the previous day's results. Yeah, DC having the champs helped but I'm a Baseball junkie again.

As for Jeter, well, that's some fucked up shit right there. Almost as bad as the Rock and Roll Haul of Shame this year which I could rant about for pages.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, maybe in a different thread. Thanks. :D

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That sounds like a challenge to me!

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sort of related I guess but my kid had indoor practice last night and on the next field over was what looked like an early teenage travel baseball team practicing. Kind of cool and I watched for a bit. When they wrapped up a teenage girl softball team started practice. That shit was insane. Diving catches, crazy relays and when the girls who pitched started throwing the ball I about crapped myself. Anyone who says that "throws like a girl" shit needs to get smacked with one of their pitches.

Kid Hockey on two rinks, baseball/ softball on one field, girls lacrosse on three fields (with the dudes earlier) and no idea on the number of basketball courts and swim teams all practicing. Isanity!

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Dave, you've become quite the soccer mom. Does Audi make a mini van?

dtalbott and Boman Forklift like this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

MB does. :D

but I think my next car might be 'merican.

11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Hell yeah! I might want one too (station wagon, actually). But it more likely be the four door.

BTW … do you say "saloon" or "salon" cars?

12. Dan Dubeau

Pacifica? :)

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I hope all you pubes fall out and when they grow back they come back red! :D

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Jedb likes this.
  15. Dan Dubeau

Dude, you can't just go around cursing the firecrotch on people. That's just mean.

16. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

She jinxed Jeter, just like she jinxed Ben Bostrom.

[​IMG]

17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Except for last year apparently. Can’t imagine what Rivera has that Jeter doesn’t.

18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Some of the responses here are pretty much knuckleballs past the catcher, but the fact that baseball traditions irk you is pretty cool unto itself. :D

The answer to this question is straightforward, and obvious when viewed through the lens of time when only very recently has a great (but certainly not some sort of stratum-defying) candidate received a unanimous selection.
    Hell, one of the best players ever*, after dying in a brave and noble effort of humanitarianism, only scored a 92% (in a special election).

BBWOA voting members are picky, and get ten votes for any given year's ballot, where something like 35 players are listed. Some think: Why waste a vote on someone you know will be admitted when you really want to see a guy mired down in the margins get in?

As for the rest of the diatribe against Baseball, It's the beeb where we we have Mongo (Mongo!) opining as to player's general lack of athleticism.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Is voting a team sport? If not, why do voters concern themselves with what other voters do? What if all of them made that stupid decision in the same year and a guy like Jeter ended up with no votes? That's possible, right? What then?

I am delighted that my take on cricket's slightly-length-weird-cousin's traditions offends the stats nerd in you. :D

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

The stat nerd will point out your hypothetical has not happened (you know a player that makes the ballot stays on ten years, right?).

I'm not defending the idiosyncratic nature of the BBWOA, nor even the process. To assume that any sort of recognition process such as this is anything but subject to human judgement (read: folly) is...folly. :D

Not unlike the actual process and rules for voting for POTUS, so too has the MLB HoF voting rules changes over time. Couple that with changing people and cultural expectations, I would expect to see more consensus elections in the future. My crystal ball says: Mike Trout.