1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baseball Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 22, 2020.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Let me get this out of the way first: I hate baseball. Actually, I should break this down a little: I am indifferent to the game itself. It's a slow, boring excuse for a sport and I have no use for it. But to each their own, I like stuff that other people don't understand too. I even enjoyed soccer as a kid, so I'm not above making mistakes. :D

What I absolutely hate is the traditions and all the stupid unwritten rules. From the laughably stupid (you can't flip your bat, you can't run too slowly, you can't scratch your left ball when the sun is up, etc.) to the straight-up dangerous pitcher retaliations (they can use a deadly weapon but the batter can't?). I'll be OK if the entire game disappears tomorrow. Only reason I even know that much about it is from being subjected to all those years of it on SportsCenter.

So, with the facts established, and so people understand that I am partial to absolutely no one in the game, how the fuck is Derek Jeter not a unanimous first-ballot Hall of Famer? Again, I don't know much about baseball but I don't think that it would be too wrong to say that it looks about as wrong as making Valentino Rossi wait for a year after retirement to put his name on that Legends trophy, right? Baseball people, please correct me if I'm wrong. I genuinely want to understand.

What kind of bitter, small-minded, egotistical failed-athlete-turned-voter looks looks at the names on the ballot (I haven't) and says "yeah, maybe next year for Jeter, he hasn't quite earned it yet"?

I know there's at least two of you people named Scott plus several more who care deeply about this game. This is your account. Please, explain this particular tradition.

spoon32 and renegade17 like this.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I feel exactly like you do. That said, I heard somebody on the radio ask the exact question this morning. They commented that this guy was the dissenting vote.

[​IMG]

t11ravis likes this.
  3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

You are correct. And, I like baseball.

Cheers,

Dave

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Old RedSox fan here and on behalf of all Boston fans...fuck anything to do with the Yankees. :moon:

Except for now. Derek Jeter rose above any rivalry and petty shit and is truely one of the alltime greats.
    His talent spoke for itself and his denial to the hall is an insult to the game. It's just like politics...those at the top don't give a shit abnout anything except their narcissistic urges. It's not about Jeter it's about power and control. Narcissists can not be told what to do no matter what. Fuck the hierarchy of the HOF. Bunch of bitchy little girls. :mad:

mpusch likes this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I know this guy from somewhere and I'm sure that when you tell me who it is, I will not be surprised at all.

noles19 likes this.
  6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Only 1 unanimous to date. So you're telling me Rivera is better than all the greats?? GMAFB. It has to be done on purpose, other than the year they fucked up.

7. eggfooyoung

Andy Rooney

8. eggfooyoung

And until Pete's in, it's the hall of shame.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, that's probably why I was trying to identify someone else: why does he get to vote for the baseball Hall of Fame? If it was a joke, it ain't funny. I told you fucker I don't know much about baseball. :D

10. eggfooyoung

Shit if I know. I just expelled my entire body of baseball knowledge above.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Andy ain't voting anywhere these days...except maybe Chicago.

beac83 likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Baseball people even keep stats on HOF voting percentages. Damn.

t11ravis likes this.
  13. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Totally agree. Whoever that voter is did it for selfish reasons, notoriety, etc. Screw them.

14. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

:crackup:

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

The gist is that he was a nasty old bastard that hated everything. He's the poster child for curmudgeons.

16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Died Nov. 4, 2011. That's why he's still voting in Chicago.

Cheers,

Dave

R1M370 likes this.
  17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The Giants are in San Francisco. There is the extent of my baseball knowledge.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I just want to say that baseball sucks.
    Even the Red Sox. Sorry, Mom.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Hell, Curt Schilling isn't in, talk about a crime. Of course he was out spoken and conservative so that's three strikes against him (I know, I can't count....). There's one old sports writer who never votes for an otherwise unanimous choice. It's his "thing".

Circacee likes this.
  20. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

He would have been 101 yrs old last week.:crackup:

83BSA likes this.