1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Sep 5, 2017.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the homes built to latest code are amazing.. saw some footage of homes in the keys, some big time damage, some built to new code looked untouched !

vizsladog likes this.
  2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Our house built in2014 and couldn't handle 90mph. Guess it all depends what show up on your day lol. That being said a lot of the newer kw homes are a concrete box including the roof

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

BIG ASS FANS are cool! I hope everyone down there is ok.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

indeed, certainly does depend on the builder and the crew.. and the inspectors. Interested to hear why your house was having the leaking issue.. might be something pretty simple that got overlooked during construction?

a former tenant worked for that company :)

5. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

My damage. I WILL REBUILD!!!! Seriously, a lot of my neighbors need roofs but mine looks fine, lots of trees and utility poles down , shit everywhere. I got lucky! Irma.jpg

BigBird, MELK-MAN and cpettit like this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Lee, aren't you in Lakeland?

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Looks like your mailbox got hit.

8. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Soggy ground...it's a leaner..LOL! Yes, Lakeland.

brex likes this.
  9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That's so the water drains out.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

1/8" per l/f is standard.

jrsamples likes this.
  11. 713

713 Well-Known Member

I ended up with an extra day off due to the storm, So I decided to clean up the workshop. I found a half gallon of Mad Dog dated 02/04 and a half gallon of Special IV. That shit made some good power back in the day.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

and big ass bills :eek:

13. amaner

amaner will do math for food

My mailbox blew away (neighbor found it in his shrubs and brought it back) and I spent Tuesday moving and cutting the limbs that were piled up in my yard (seemed like hundreds). Amazingly, not one of the limbs hit a car or did damage to the house, and the power stayed on throughout. We count ourselves very lucky.

BigBird likes this.
  14. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Just now checking in.

We lost power around 6:45pm on Sunday and it is still out. Been running my two fridges on the Honda 2K genny during the day and using the downtime from work to do lots of cleanup.

Lots of shingles blew off, but thankfully no water intrusion and I've got a guy at the house today patching things up.

Power company is estimating that all of our county should be restored by Sunday evening, but hopefully we will be back up and running before then. Schools have been and will remain closed until we get notified, but I'm assuming the kids won't be going back until next week.

We dodged another bullet here on the space coast, just like last year with Matthew.....

BigBird likes this.
  15. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Just got off the phone with the wife who is at the county EOC. She said the Duke Energy rep said to ignore the estimates on their website (for the better, not the worse.)

NemesisR6 likes this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Underpromise and over deliver.

BigBird and NemesisR6 like this.
  17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

LEEROY JENKINS!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I wonder if the utilities get fined after a period of outage. Insurance companies get fined if a CAT claim stays open past a certain time. I know we did for every day after whatever the state mandate was.

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'm sure the utility companies have enough baked-in incentive to get power back up and running ASAP. Can't charge people for that sweet, sweet juice if that meter isn't spinning.....

BigBird and omatter34 like this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sounds like they work better than Xcel. Had a customer with a dropped phase after a storm, had to shut them down until util restored the phase. Had my name and number to call with an ETA.

They called the plant manager. He called me.

Two days later I get the automated call saying my power "should be" restored...