1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Nicky

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, May 22, 2017.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Good on IMS, even though they no longer host anything bike-related.

You are right about CotA, though. So far they don't seem to be doing much to add personal "touches" to that race facility, and it feels pretty sanitary and dull as a result. Honoring somebody like Nicky (and possibly some other American legends) could go a long way to change that perception.

CRA_Fizzer and caferace like this.
  2. caferace

caferace No.

IMS has multiple people, up to and including the CEO who are serious motorcycle roadracing fans. I've met a bunch of them and they're good peeps. But, for both the facility and Dorna (and likely MotoAmerica) it just doesn't make financial sense to open up such a huge facility. Which sucks. I loved going to Indy for MotoGP.

-jim

03RumbleBee likes this.
  3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Damn sad, friend died in the same manner, was flagging for a road crew and got struck by a guy that had already been through the construction site even. Died on scene, and the old man that hit him passed away not but a few weeks later. Such a waste, and he had kids too. Shitty hand to deal with.

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Laguna Corkscrew

Potts N Pans and svtinker like this.
  5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Sportsman of the year for Moto GP

Potts N Pans, R1Racer99 and Jedb like this.
  6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

7. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I would name T13 "Kentucky Kid".

8. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Hayden Hill

Either T1 @ COTA, or the uphill backstretch leading to the corkscrew at Laguna.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  9. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

GODspeed Nicky Hayden #69

10. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 2

11. Vandal

Vandal Member

I have one vivid memory of Nicky. The first was when I was spectating at Road Atlanta and towards the end of the practice session he came over Wheelie Hill on one wheel and looked at me. Me. I was the only one in the area.

sPatlovich1, MachineR1 and kiggy74 like this.
  12. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Really struggling to believe this is reality for him, his family and the racing community. Such a great guy, and racer too. RIP Nicky.

Razr and G 97 like this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Definately something at Laguna as Nicky has two moto GP wins there. But man the cork screw is so iconic in it's own right. Its historic

It would have to be a different corner for me.

One other thing I wouldn't want to see the naming as forced much like what Miller is.

14. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Tune in Pitlane on Bein right now.

15. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

I just watched a video. No way the kid could have saw the car coming. there was a hedgerow about 7 feet high. His sightline was interfered with.
    Just Damn.

16. Blammo

Blammo Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. I got my intro to MotoGP via a co-worker giving me his videotapes of the 2006 season, and I was hooked. Nicky was my hero, and Pedrosa was the villain. Over the years though, my fandom evolved from just rooting for the Americans (and honestly you don't have much choice these days) and I paid much closer attention to riders' personalities and riding styles, rather than just nationality. And of course I've come to realize that not only is Pedrosa a total badass rider, but he also seems to be one of the nicest, humblest guys in the paddock. And I'll forever associate his name with Nicky's. I believe his collision w/ Nicky forever influenced his style and attitude toward racing, and it's time he got his due. He's the only Alien (remember those guys?) w/ out a world championship and hey, I'm sure Rossi can stick it out for a few more years anyway, so wouldn't it be rad for Pedrosa to bring it all home?

17. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

Tribute to Nicky Hayden from his brother Roger

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/nicky-hayden-a-tribute-from-his-brother-roger/

By Roger Hayden

"Nicky my brother, our story wasn't suppose to end like this. You were World Champ for a reason. I've never met someone with the desire for racing bikes like you. I remember growing up when we shared a room and you studying notes you took from the previous race and we were 12-13 years old. I'll never forget the Monday morning after you won the World Championship, you woke me up to go running. That's what separated you from the rest and made you a legend. I could go on.

You made everyone here better, 'cause when you wasn't here, we were riding or cycling to close the gap for when we rode with you again,. You pushed me to my best, but more importantly I'll remember what kind of brother you were. You were legend of a racer and a brother. You were there for me no matter what was going on in life. You wanted to help, I'm glad you were able to see me at my best these past couple years, not just on the bike, but mainly off it.

I can sit here and ask why all day, but instead I want to be thankful for having a brother like you for 33 years. Don't worry I got the nieces handled. No boyfriends till they're in college and I'll teach the nephews what it takes to be a champion in whatever they decide.

This picture is special to me, because after some bad luck and it looked like your world title run was over, I grabbed you like this and told you it was still your year, and that was the first thing you did to me when I saw you at the podium--tell me it back.

Even during this incredibly difficult time I still have my faith, I believe if God will bring you to it, he will bring you through it. Till we ride again, I love you. #letsgetit #69"

18. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Sorry if the was already posted elsewhere. Couldn't take the chance that this didn't get seen by those of us who are grieving the loss.

Watch this first...

Then watch this...

19. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

Black89, turbulence, G2G and 2 others like this.
  20. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

RIP Nicky!
    Maybe the greatest overall!!! His ability on the dirt sets him apart from all the roadracers in my book. He was gonna come home and win that Mile!
    You will be forever missed Racer.
    I haven't been this sad since Cal Rayborn was lost to us.