1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Golfer, New clubs which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Feb 3, 2017.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Do they still make Hogan irons?

2. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

3. Personally, I've always used Callaway everything (Woods, Irons, and Putter because Odyssey is owned by Callaway).

4. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

How do you deal with every club having a different number and random angles stamped in them. That shit has to drive you nuts. :)

dtalbott likes this.
  5. dtalbott

Don't forget all different lengths, too.

omatter34 likes this.
  6. dtalbott

I would like to try a set of the one length clubs, though I am more likely to modify the club's I already have to one length.

7. That would make it very difficult to control the distance (I would think).

I know the angle of the club face is the major factor, but so is the length of the club.

There is a reason the Driver is the longest club and the lob wedge is the shortest.

8. dtalbott

When I was golfing, I had a Big Bertha driver, and a no name big head driver cut down to the length of a seven iron. The Big Bertha drove longer by forty yards or so, but I hit a hell of a lot more fairways with the cut down driver.

I think my scores would improve if I gave up distance for hitting the ball where I could find it.

9. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

10. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

+1 on Mizuno.

I bought some center-weighted forged blades (a style of head) with +5mm overlength shafts from Edwin-Watts... uh... 16 years ago?

Puring a 4- 5- or 6- iron was pretty cool.

Then, I separated my shoulder and stopped playing golf, as my consistency went way south after 3+ holes.

I don't miss the game. More power to ya.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Just makes the distance gap between clubs shorter; instead of 15 yards between your 8 and 9 iron, the gap would be more like 8-10 yards.

12. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

I've played Mizuno blades and love the feeling (which is completely subjective I know). I'm going to upgrade to Miura CBs 3-5 and baby blades 6-PW. Nothing better than puring a forged iron.

13. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Ok, gonna trying to catch up on the thread.

I am a 12 hcp. And play a Bridgestone e6 or just recently tried the e7. Worst part of my game is the driver. Working on that daily. After some research and talking with some low hcp guys. I'm going to stick with cavity backs. I've had Adams before, and liked those ok. Have hit cobras and liked them alot. Never played callaway, Mizuno, or taylormade. At of those the Mizuno seem the less forgiving.

Going to the golf show in 2weeks to hopefully hit a bunch of clubs and maybe snagg a killer deal.

14. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Skip the golf show and go to Golfsmith or Edwin Watts and hit a bunch of clubs on their computer. If you are going to spend that kind of change on a set of clubs, I hope you aren't buying off the rack. Find a head you like and get a shaft that works for your game put in it. As your game progresses, you can always change the shafts. If you really want a sweet feeling set of clubs, get them all balanced to a good swing weight for you too.

15. tito

tito Well-Known Member

Also in the spring a lot of shops will have a demo days where they rent out a driving range and all of the factories are there..... I cemented my love of Callaway there. And found out I can't hit a Nike club to save my life. I have a couple of buddies that love the Cleveland line, but they are lefties so I have never used them.

16. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I agree with the above statements, to go into a PGA superstore that has the test area and hit all the different clubs you can. You will want to try two clubs ( 4 and 9 iron for example ) of each brand you try.

17. Yep. A lot comes down to using the same swing with every club (obviously there are a few exceptions).

18. Goodwood

Goodwood Well-Known Member

Go hit a bunch of different clubs and see what you like. Find a demo day, or go to a pga superstore and just hit them. I play Mizuno, JPX 825 forged. You can save a bit by buying year old clubs, but getting the proper shaft length and type is a big deal if you're decent player, or if you'd like to become a decent player.

19. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

What putters are you guys using?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  20. dtalbott