1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of arm chair pilots

Discussion in 'General' started by KevMac, Nov 22, 2003.

1. KevMac

KevMac Well-Known Member

DAVE 333

DAVE 333,

I do believe I got the full name this time. I appreciate your criticism. But, find no fault in my actions. I Made the appropriate announcements, as prescribed to me by company policy. I would never let the passengers endure un-just concern or fear, unless the situation were dire. This situation was a relatively easy one to remedy. If it would have been (what I felt) life threatening.) Then, I would have certainly been forethright with that info.
    You are right about my tone. I should have used better judgement in that resrect to my post. Very few people know me here at WERA. I'm actually pretty mellow. I just wanted Greg to hear from people that actually do it for a living. It's his choice. I love it , and would recommend this profession to anyone getting started in life.

Be well DAVE333,
    Kevin#229

2. Overtorque

Overtorque Banned

Quote:
    "Worst (worst accident ever outside of 9/11) - Pan Am / KLM, Tenerife, Canary Islands - KLM pilot took off without clearance. Jacob van Zanten was KLM's chief 747 training captain and had been with KLM for 30 years. He had trained almost all of KLM's 747 pilots. He was the most qualified, highest paid 747 pilot in KLM's ranks."

Sounds like the hour-long History Channel drama called "Seconds From Disaster", where they go into every, last, tiny detail, with re-enactments, actual footage and interviews with survivors. In this case the captain had his finger on the button just as the tower declined permission to take off. The captain was talking and was old, so he couldn't hear the garbled, incomplete message from the tower. The co-pilot was younger, and heard a bit of it. He said they don't have permission to take off, but the captains had final say back then, and proceded anyway.

Needless to say, he got the message from the tower part way down the runway, so he turned off. Too late, though, his plane full of gas and passengers was cut in half by another plane at landing speed. Very few survivors.

Rules were changed, and co-pilots now had equal say in the cockpit. Also, radios were changed so that you could talk and listen at the same time. I wish they also got rid of cocky captains who ignore the warnings andinsist on a take off with zero visibility.

Quote:
    "2nd worst (4th worst accident) - American Airlines, Queens, New York - maneuvers by first officer Sten Molin at the controls caused tail section to fall off the plane. He had over 4,400 hours experience including almost 2,000 in that aircraft."

In this case Airbus pilots were instructed to go full rudder left or right if speeds were higher. So, when some cross wind, turbulence, or vortex made the plane yaw, the idiot pilot did what he was trained to do. Of course this caused huge yaw in the opposite direction. So what now? He went full rudder again! In all, 5 times he went full rudder in a row, and snapped off the entire vertical stabilizer. Everyone died in Queens, so sad.

So, the flight simulators and training manuals were changed to reflect the obvious, the faster you go, the less rudder you need.

There is a reason why Airbus named their company what they did. These are buses with wings!

When my friend's dad told me most crashes are pilot error, I didn't believe him. Even with his decades in the USAF as a test pilot, and despite the fact he flew every plane they had in the most crazy situations imaginable, all on purpose, with intent to come near death as many ways as possible before signing off on a new plane, I still didn'tbelieve him.

It wasn't until I studied "The Physics Of Flying" that I realized what we A honor's students consider light reading is deep physics for the average students in my school that went on to become pilots. When my first flying lesson was in a sail plane on a very windy day in the Rockies, I realized just how easy flying really is.

Pilots who demand 6 figure salaries really are full of themselves. But their bosses who get million dollar bonuses are a hundred times worse. They demand 10 times the money, but have 10 times less capability in all aspects of life (except swindling).

3. caferace

caferace No.

Holy Seven Year Old thread... :wow:

-jim

4. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

A pilot goes on a blind date. After talking for two hours he says "enough about flying, now a little about me".

5. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Bayliss is unbeatable on the Duc 996. I don't think Edwards can catch him on that RC-51. Honda should have stuck with the RC-45. :D

6. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

I'm thinking we are really close to catching Saddam Hussein.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A failed spammer. He forgot to put his blind links in his post and his signature links in.

Epic fail.

8. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

A Yamaha rider will never win a MotoGP race,much less a championship. :D:D:D

9. I told Orvillle, and I told Wilbur, and now I'm telling you - that contraption will never fly!

10. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

My penis works good again!!!!!

and I am a novice! Hells YEAH!

11. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

I've got a lot of good idea's. For one...I'm going to start a business doing home loans to anyone who wants them...and then I'll reinvest with Bernie Madoff...he's a genius and will get me 25% return on my money!