1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey AMA Your Jump Start Rule is STUPID.

Discussion in 'General' started by Britt, Sep 15, 2013.

1. jmanley

jmanley Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I also agree with the post about this being the WWF of motorcycle racing. Racing in its pure form has gotten lost in the attempt to entertain us (keep it close and exciting), just like NASCAR.

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Shaun, that pic is AFTER they are in motion...right at the start, to illustrate that it was no advantage whatever it was that whoever, was penalized for on the front row.

3. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Greg, you quoted me so I am assuming you were talking to me. If not, ignore my reply.....

Nowhere did I say or imply that anyone was not deserving of a championship. JH1 is an ambassador of this sport and I have said that for years. RLH is an awesome guy and is no doubt one of the fastest racers in America. All that does not mean that I do not also think JH2 is not deserving of the title. I do not play the "if" game at all in life. Nicky Hayden has a great saying about "if".... so does my dad....

Just for fun, let's throw out some "ifs".....

JH1 = If he did not have engine failures/mechanicals
    If he did not get bad front tires at Miller
    If he did not get 5 second penalties

RLH = If Jordan had found straight away speed in March......
    If he had not run off track a few times

JH2 = If he had started his current training method in 2009.....
    If he had not gotten bad front tire at Miller

I will not take anything away from any of these guys. All of them "deserve" a Championship. BTW, I don't like the rule either but I have lots of rules I do not like.....

Like I said earlier, I do not play the "if" game but decided to throw a few out... If I was still self-employed and working 40 hours per week I would still be racing once per month or more.... :Poke:

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I never did....honest:)

5. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

it was a crap decision...hayes got such an advantage he was up to an amazing 6th or so after the start...wow that's some jump! no way no how should it have been called and affected the points like that. a little common sense AMA, just a little please

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I'm boycotting by not watching the last ro....oh...wait

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Think about this some more. It might change your mind. If both riders are equally skilled, the one who was rolling when the lights changed will get to the corner first.

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

And in a 23 Lap race, One of them will Win..

Do you want that decided by them racing, or some official calling a 5sec penalty for "Movement". >>Think About That<<

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

come on now.. as if we didn't already have enough "if".. "maybe".. "coulda" .. "woulda" .. and (my favorite) "shoulda"..

The riders that would try to anticipate a light going out (yet more speculation) by creeping toward the edge of the box to gain this holy grail of all advantages, would undoubtedly at some point, get screwed by creeping too far before the light goes out. So then they have to check themselves by hitting a brake or whatever, thereby putting themselves at a serious disadvantage of potentially launching AFTER the rest who just got a great reaction time from a stationary start.. or.. go outside the box and get called for a REAL jump start.
    Your idea that riders would or do take advantage of 2' to start rolling before a light goes out is, well, your opinion man :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. many other variables

11. vnvbandit

vnvbandit Well-Known Member

I am a Hayes fan big time, and what we are really discussing is a kink in Hayes' armor. He is feeling the pressure. He has been behind the eight ball all year. We are expecting him to be perfect and get every extra point and win every race to capture the title for the fourth time. Maybe, just maybe he his human after all. Flame on.

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

No read the first post again...it is about the RULE..any other discussion is an aside to and a result of said rule..and well folks who can't stay on topic.

13. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

The rate of roll would have to be pretty substantial for it to make any discernible difference, imo. In other words, if he was rolling up to the line at 1/2 a mile an hour without crossing it and then started, on a minute level he'd theoretically be able to carry more speed approaching T1. However, that'd be rolling @ 1/2 mile an hour, which is still a fast roll - and that didn't happen here.

Regardless, if the rider doesn't cross the line I can't see there being reason for a penalty. A jumpstart should be based on crossing a particular point before the start of a race, not a rider's minor adjustments before that point.

I can't help but think some official was hawking Hayes the entire time and looking for a reason to dock him. Honestly - look at the video and disregard any of the names involved. The guy on the #1 bike was nowhere near doing anything worthy of a five second penalty, and I'd argue there were other riders on the grid in every race making similar motions without crossing their lines who were completely ignored.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There's nothing to think about. I didn't say anything about who is going to win the race. I said that all is being equal, the guy who was rolling first will get to the corner first.

I have no idea what you just said, but it doesn't look related to my post. ;)

I said equally skilled riders. We already know they had the same bike (were discussing Hayes and Herrin, right?). What other variables do you want to complicate this with?

It's more about reaction time than the rate of roll. The guy who takes off before the lights go out is in a position that requires the other guys to have near perfect reaction time if they don't want to lose any ground. That's an advantage in a drag race. The race to the first corner is a drag race. I'm not saying that's where the road race ends, but it's an advantage.

You guys seem to think that my post means I'm supporting the current situation. I'm not. I was just responding to the part about whether there's a benefit to rolling inside the box or not. There is.

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

The first one to the first turn isn't necessarly the winner of the race, if it was, it would be called "Dragracing with a Twist".

Why argue the tiny shit..roll out, 1/2 mph... The rule sux.. Fix It.. Move on to Racing.

16. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

After watching the start over and over this morning, and as stated already that only Martin didn't show ANY movement, Hayes should've been 2nd and Herrin 3rd. How did they miss Roger and Josh2.0 moving?

17. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

You can send me something to publish, but under the current regime there isn't any place to go with facts or evidence or research or just to argue your case.

Earlier this year I asked for an appeal board or an independent review board to look at some of the decisions made by the officials and never even got a reply to the request.

18. My thoughts exactly.

19. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Selective enforcement?

(And I agree with suburban and chaotic)

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Who said the first one to the first turn wins the race? I specifically said that's not the case.

If there's no advantage to getting there first, why does anyone take a chance with the lights? That would just be stupid.