1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Congrats to the AMA guys... Oh Wait.

Discussion in 'General' started by nikk777, May 13, 2013.

1. Chip

Chip Registered

Good lawd....is this conversation still going???? Just -re-read the posts from 2000, or 2001, or 2002, or 2003, or 1972......they all end the same.

1.) Racing careers do not take a liner path.

2.) An Expert race in WERA in which there is $$ on the line of any kind, by definition is a "professional" race. If somebody fast shows up.....go faster.

Simply because some "pro" pulled in in the past does not mean that every "pro" should pull in for every race in the future. Different circumstances dictate different goals.

2. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

VERY well said!!! I fit into this category unfortunately.......

3. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

who said anything about fair or deserve??????????????not me.

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

No..:Poke:

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

well.. umm.. both are right. :)
    i think chaotic threw up a few numbers off the cuff. When you start adding in the TIME (time is money) it takes to race prep a bike, the $$ really start adding up. And i'm not talking about just slapping race body work on a street bike, talkin an expert level good bike. Steel lines, little safety wire, a shock, sending the forks out for cartridge kit and valving, dyno time. That is stock motor.. throw in a decent ss build and tack on another $2500 or more. (which you would spend freshening a used motor but you get the picture). it just keeps going.

the biggest thing for me, as a club racer only, never holding (nor want to) an ama licence, was the time. It was SOOO much nicer getting well sorted bikes from Robby J. or whomever that year, freshening up the motor, paint the bodywork, and race. way way less time and hassle than building a new bike.
    Nothing wrong with building a new bike ! just takes a lot of time to do..

6. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

not if you want to win contingency

brand new 1000cc bike after tax/tag/title is at least $13-14k

one set of tires $400

bodywork $500

even if ALL you did was revalve the suspension AND you were somehow able to win against the current crop of experts at Nationals and Regionals that would be anoother $500

so let's go your route and ONLY do those mods and somehow you're still able to win.... you're still in the hole at least $15k before you first race

I am arguing because trying to rationalize buying a new bike to make contingency just doesnt add up

and I just felt like arguing today

:)

and no one preps a bike cheaper than me.....seeing as how I can't even afford to own my own bike ;)

7. Mblashfield

Now you are the one making this complicated. lets start with this one issue:

why do rich Pro's pull off?

why do some poor Pro's not pull off?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Any rider complaining about someone finishing ahead of them on legal equipment feels they deserve to finish further up. I am saying that after dealing with tens of thousands of racers for 25 or so years....

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not complicated at all - some riders pull off, some don't. You're trying to say there is one set of reasons and there isn't. So if you don't want to be confused quit trying to start stupid conversations like this ;)

10. Mblashfield

Ok, everybody that sees an AMA Pro pull off the track before the end of a race is delusional.

If Racers Race why on Gods green earth would a Professional racer pull out of a race he or she is clearly winning? I mean What the Fuck is this racer thinking???? Are these Pro racers delusional too?

11. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

:beer::up:

12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Juan Pablo went from F1- NASCAR.

He has been a cherry picker a few years now with not much success....

I am still confused.

13. Mblashfield

so if its not one reason that they pull off, how many reasons can there be, and what are they. You should know, and so should John Ulrich. Is it an industry secret? both of you have dealt with more "racers" than anyone else I can think of.
    How hard is it to put the reasons out on the table?

14. Mblashfield

like a NASCAR CAR is even remotely close to the same thing as an F1 car.
    got anything valuable to add?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See that's the kind of stupid shit that is just trolling and stop it, I have more shit to do today than read your drivel. Don't you have signs to make or something?

Yes the pull off, no one has ever said otherwise. Now stop posting dumb shit.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know lots of reasons, they're different for each racer, you'd have to ask them to find out their specific reasons.

No matter what it doesn't matter a bit what their reasons are.

17. Mblashfield

I just got my answer, thanks!

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So wait - now you can "go backwards" if you're on a different kind of bike?

Troll baby troll....

19. Those numbers I threw out were totally off the top of my head for what all that shit costs at retail. As impossible as it may seem, I very well could be wrong on some of them. :D

To me, the bikes are a large part of the fun. I like getting new bikes and customizing them how i want, with the parts i want, making the bike look, feel and sound how i want.

I dont know how many times i have gotten a bike all setup the way i like it, then get bored with it and want to do another one. I could easily get on the track cheaper, I just don't want to. I am in this for the fun of it and getting a new bike and messing with it is fun, almost as much fun as actually riding it.

20. Chip

Chip Registered

Different circumstances dictate different goals:

Pull off -

Example 1 - You are a professional team/rider and have an adequate amount of funding and everybody is well paid. Your at Club race to test parts because the club race is the cost effective or schedule convenient place to test. You instruct the rider to pull in the last lap because the finish means nothing. We have even entered classes in which the bikes was illegal, but wanted the track time and pulled in anyway.

Finish -

Example 2 - You are a pro team that is not well funded, the rider is not getting paid, the team maybe racing a club series and a pro series in the same season, the competition is relevant in speed, or the rider is broke and could use the $$ if there is some available.