1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Congrats to the AMA guys... Oh Wait.

Discussion in 'General' started by nikk777, May 13, 2013.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

that would be awesome! .. if it didn't cost way more than you can likely earn to get a bike that is eligible to win contingency vs. keeping a current good 2 year old bike. With luck you could find a 1 season old bike that should still be eligible for at least 1 more year.

2. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

It worked really well for me because I ha an 07 and all the parts fit the 12. I had taken over payments of a bike from my girlfreind so I had a bike payment. I figured if I had payment it would be nice to get something back so I traded that bike in on a new one. As far as chasing contingency.... It's every south east and national so if I was going to be there anyway why not take a crack at getting some money. If you have a race bike more then likely fork cartridges can be swapped, shocks can be bought and sold. You would b out the cos o some cheap bodywork, exhaust, and some type of a fuel controller. No fancy builds... Safety wire and ride! Lol

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  3. Agreed.

I understand the point you are making and agree with it. It makes sense, in a situation where somebody was going to buy and prep a new bike anyway.

In other words, if somebody has a 2010 Honda (for example) that is race prepped and good to go, it doesn't make any sense to go buy a 2013 Honda for the sole purpose of chasing contingency, because you will never make that back.

You can easily end up with over $20k in a new bike that is race prepped (to win). It will take a lot of wins to make that money up and it likely won't happen. So to buy/prep a bike just to chase contigency is not a good idea (these days).

BUT, if you were already thinking "i want a new bike" and were going to get one regardless. Then it makes sense to get one that will also come with a potential to earn contingency money.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  4. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

so you're arguing for the sake of argument ;)

5. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by John29 View Post
    Many more don't, than do. Those that you saw do it, made a lot more money than typical AMA Pro riders make now.

So if you are a rich AMA Pro you have the integrity to pull off before the end of the race?

If you are financially struggling AMA Pro you have the right to regress and selectively take points/money/fame/fortune from a series you used to run until you think you got good enough to move up to the next level, which in this case is AMA Pro?

So there is a monetary cut-off that dictates when you stop going backwards? Maybe backwards is the wrong word...when you stop regressing to a series where you know you can beat everyone on the grid easily to gain money or whatever is you feel you gain?

I almost had a grip on the concept with the "racers race" explanation but now with the money factor thrown in im all confused again.

6. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

What in the world would you spend 20k on to build a bike!?

7. Mblashfield

Ive got it!!!!! change the name to WERA PRO.

8. gpstar748

go buy a brand new 1000 and then race prep it (suspension, bodywork, exhaust) You're pushing close to $20k

9. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

You guys buy to much new stuff..... Lol

10. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

Ahhhh Joe!! You can buy new stuff too Mr money bags!!!:moon:
    I'll call you back when I get some decent phone service out here! lol

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Weird part is it happens in all forms of racing all the time. So it's not rare or different in this particular sport.

Not surprised is bothers hundreds of racers over 15 years out of the tens of thousands of racers that have been part of things in that same time period. Always going to be people that get pissed when a win/place/show they somehow feel is theirs even though they have yet to earn it doesn't happen.

12. :stupid:

With the costs of new bikes, it can easily get up to $20k...even without a motor build. Some people think you have to go with "exotic" shit on the bike to end up with $20k in it...and that simply isn't the case.

Bike = $12-$15k
    Suspension = $2-2.5k
    Full exhaust = $1-1.5k
    Race Bodywork = $400-$800
    Power Commander and Dyno Tune = $500
    Rearsets, Levers, SS brake lines, good brake pads, Clip-ons, Damper = $1-$1.5k
    Tires = $400

You are at ~$20k and that is a basic SS bike with a stock motor. You can figure even more if you have a professional do the suspension install/setup, paint the bodywork, install the parts etc.

People don't realize how much money they have in their bike because they get a little bit at a time. But buy a new bike and race prep it from scratch all at once with quality components (including a motor build and suspension setup) and you will be over $20k, easy. Been there, done that, several times.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He was just a WERA Expert at that point wasn't he?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, yes. How could money NOT have anything to do with it?

15. Mblashfield

This has been an issue here for years and I personally have been directly involved with it as you know. Id like to get to the bottom of it with nice/fair and reasonable conversation that everyone will understand so this wont come up again in the future, is that possible?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're the one say9ing integrity is an issue - it's not. You're not some sort of bad evil person for actually finishing a race you enter. You're also not some sort of truly good saintly person if you pull off. Those are things YOU are putting on these riders, they don't actually exist in the real world.

You're alos the one talking about world champions and so on - and that does bring money into it. So you're confusing yourself by arguing too many bs points...

17. No.

18. gpstar748

well, you are in a minority in that you had parts that you already had that you were able to re-use

again, our point is 100% mathematically valid

you are arguing for the sake of argument

;)

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No because there is no bottom of it. There is no such thing as fair according to everyone.

As long as some riders feel they deserve a finishing position those riders will never be happy if someone finishes ahead of them. Those riders will then use whatever excuse is handy to complain about - be it experience level, equipment, the hauler the faster guy showed up in, the color/brand/size of the machinery, having a wrench or not having a wrench, the sponsors the other guy has, and so on.

Reality has nothing to do with these feelings because reality of racing is you finish where you finish. If the other bike is legal for the class your only option is go faster or lose. Some riders don't understand that and never will because they somehow deserve to finish higher up even though they're too slow to do so.

There is no bottom when you're delusional. No matter how many hundreds of riders share the same delusion.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You are too - and he's more right than you, you can prep a bike cheaper than you and Chaotic choose to :)