New to WERA and Vantage Racing.

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by NickF, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

...you better keep your beer under lock and key........:beer:

2. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

HA!....yeah, thanx Joe.:up:

Ya gotta look out for me, cuz Doug Bowie is a pure angel. Quiet, reserved, cordial, has manners, AND brings his own beer :rolleyes::Poke:

Anything else?...what am I missing?....Wayne?

Hey Kyle....i'm blocked here at work, but looking forward to checking out that document, thanx:up:

4. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

welcome to the world of WERA Vintage racing, Nick.

i have nothing of value to add here as far as which bike you should run, suspension setup, tires, brakes, drywall bucket fairings, helmets, riding gear or otherwise. all i can tell you is you should invest in a beer cooler with a pad lock on it if you plan on pitting near or hanging out with any of these heathens, scamps and ne'er–do–wells.

you've been warned. :cool:

#156 Well-Known Member

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Nick,
    You have had some good advice, so far. A good solid stock motor with stock carbs is the way to go. Many will suggest that you take the starter motor off and they are wrong. Leave it on until you know you are ready to do without it. Being able to push the button and go, your first year of racing, is well worth the weight penalty. The bike will still be way faster than you are.
    The other bad advice you have had is anything from Charles. He knows perfectly well that 2 strokes are implements of Satan and now that Stihl has a pretty nice electric chainsaw, they aren't even good fro that.

Bring lots of beer.

Ken

7. NickF

NickF Member

Thanks for all the help guys this is helping a lot! Where can i get some racing tires? Also have they released the new schedule for 2013 yet, i cant find it. Its nice to know that this community is close with each other and support each other. I am looking forward to meeting all of u in the future. also i have a 1974 cb360 but it has a front disk brake and new motor though. Can i run it in the 350 class to? If i cant get the 350 up and running before the first race i might bring out the 360. I'm not looking to impress anyone but it would be nice to get some track time asap and make some new friends. Thanks again!!

8. NickF

NickF Member

Sorry i have another question, what about my #s how do i go about me getting one and whats some of the ways i can mount them to be legal? :up:

9. CharlieY

Nick...this is a common reply to rule questions: "RTFRB" ....as in "Read The F'ing....", well you get it.

The CB360 runs in V1 class, which is with the modified (non stock) 350's....We dont see any of them on the grid, which tells us they are probably not competitive, but....if its complete and running, and leakfree....run it to get on the track....it is eligible.

2013 schedule will come out over the off season. usually we have a race in feb...so probably jan or so.

You get to choose a number when you pay for your license....you may not get exactly what you want, but alot of times you do...especially in vintage.

As far as mounting and stuff....come to the track, bring a camera, or a sharp mind.....or surf pictures...VHS Photography shoots alot of the vintage events.

....And...Wayne Shelton can tell you "Old Time" stories about Bowie. :rolleyes::D ...yo Wayne.:D

10. boogiesg

boogiesg Well-Known Member

I've owned both the 350 and the 360. In their stock forms, the 360 feels a little faster, but the 350 has more potential I think for V1. The 360 feels like it's about to fly apart at 80 mph so that may be why it 'feels' like it's faster up top. Doug's radar gun says my stocker 350 race bike is faster (91 or so) than what my GPS said about my cb360 (88mph). Not a very scientific comparison since the 360 had all the extra weight from the street components but I don't anyone will argue with me when I say the CB350 is a superior race machine.

How do you revalve the front forks, lol? How do you know that you need to for that matter? I thought most folks just swapped the springs. Since you already have the forks, get yourself a set of the all-ballz bearings. You'll need to do a modification to the nut that goes between the top bearing and the triple clamp. There is a ridge that needs to be ground down flat or the bearings won't seat properly.

You should come to a race and hang out in the pits. Bring a camera and a something to take notes with. You'll see that most of the stock cb350's have a lot of similarities. Simple mods that are track proven, like the $3.00 belly pan and the drywall mud bucket front fairing/number plate. :Poke:

11. charles

charles The Transporter

What business is it of yours, what Duck150 tells him.......friendo?

12. charles

charles The Transporter

Brother Ken:

Most excellent advice, regarding the starter motor! You've outdone yourself once again!

On the other hand, everyone knows from ancient times that the 2-Stroker is bestest, and so will our new member here, given time, patience, and exposure to the glorious sound, blistering performance, and fragrant intoxicating burning pre-mix of the aforementioned 2-Stroker. So spoken, so written.

Bro Charles

13. boogiesg

boogiesg Well-Known Member

I've owned both the 350 and the 360. In their stock forms, the 360 feels a little faster, but the 350 has more potential I think for V1. The 360 feels like it's about to fly apart at 80 mph so that may be why it 'feels' like it's faster up top. Doug's radar gun says my stocker 350 race bike is faster (91 or so) than what my GPS said about my cb360 (88mph). Not a very scientific comparison since the 360 had all the extra weight from the street components but I don't anyone will argue with me when I say the CB350 is a superior race machine.

How do you revalve the front forks, lol? How do you know that you need to for that matter? I thought most folks just swapped the springs. Since you already have the forks, get yourself a set of the all-ballz bearings. You'll need to do a modification to the nut that goes between the top bearing and the triple clamp. There is a ridge that needs to be ground down flat or the bearings won't seat properly.

You should come to a race and hang out in the pits. Bring a camera and a something to take notes with. You'll see that most of the stock cb350's have a lot of similarities. Simple mods that are track proven, like the $3.00 belly pan and the drywall mud bucket front fairing/number plate. :Poke:

14. NickF

NickF Member

Sounds like a plan guys! ill half to come to a event soon and come hang with u guys even if i don't race. I think i will learn a lot just being there. my wife will be with me and she is new into this as well but she will not be racing, does any of u bring your wife's or girlfriends? I think she would enjoy some females there to hang with while we are doing our thing. Also do u guys stay the whole weekend? and do u stay at the track or in a motel? Tents? Trailers?

15. freedomgli

I brought my fiancee to spectate a couple of times and to warm her up to the idea of me racing. There are usually a number of nice woman in the paddock on any given race weekend. I think most people sleep at the track for a multitude of reasons. Vintage usually races on Saturday so most people go home on Sunday unless they're racing modern classes also. From what I've seen, it's a mix of tents and trailers and vans. I plan to go lightweight: small open trailer to transport the bike and a nice big tent to sleep in and get changed. The biggest downside to camping is the lack of A/C, which can suck depending on the location and time of year.

16. freedomgli

:up: That's what I did and it was a tremendous help. Your bike doesn't have to be fancy, but it's nice to see what others have done to get them safe and reliable for racing, such as how people safety wire various components.

17. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Yes, welcome to to vintage! We're all gay!

Definition of GAY

a: happily excited : merry <in a gay mood>
    b: keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits <a bird's gay spring song>

:D

18. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

There are vintage 4 stroke race bikes that go fast enough to need race rubber?

Really? ;)

19. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

You're bringin' your wife and beer.............................you'll probably want to pit near the Kentucky boys and stay away from that atlana riff-raff.....:Pop:

20. CharlieY

Now that depends on the wife...and the beer.:up:

I say we are better lookin.....take Bowie as an example....well, um..wait a sec...:D

We use Walker to lure the ladies...He'll get neekid if we think it'll help.:up:

As you may figure, we have a pretty good time at the track Nick.

And dang Morris....really? :confused::crackup:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012