New to WERA and Vantage Racing.

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by NickF, Sep 10, 2012.

1. NickF

NickF Member

Hey guys i plan on putting together my cb350 together this winter to come racing with you guys. It has been my dream for a while now. I Live in asheville nc and was wondering if u guys could suggest any parts for suspension and do's and dont's of racing. Like i said its my first year racing and im really excited to be out there with you guys! Any advise to a newcomer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

I have no info on CB350 as I race V7 class with a CBR600F3. There are lots of guys in here that will chime in soon and help direct you. Meanwhile, if you're not dead set on CB350 a V7 bike just came available. Check out this link:
    http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=301737

Good luck and welcome :beer:

3. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

I used to smoke Vantage's

4. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

:crackup:

5. NickF

NickF Member

6. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I have nothing of value to add here but welcome to WERA vintage.

7. Norton#357

Norton#357 Well-Known Member

Welcome to WERA and vintage Nick!
    Here is a link to my SL/CB build. The guy who helped me the most was Rick Cayce at Motorcycle Parts Plus in Greenville,SC. Give him a call if you need parts or help with fabrication work. He is currently working on a Dyna S ignition setup for the CB motor which looks like it will be affordable to some of us who are on tight budgets.
    Have fun and good luck.:up:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=299874

8. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Nick, welcome.:up:

Good luck with the build. Suspension stuff....get some good shocks (racetech, Works, or progressive) and upgrade to a 35mm front end off a CB550 or so.

Holler with any questions, someone here will chime in.

9. boogiesg

boogiesg Well-Known Member

I would start shopping around for a set of tires if you don't already have them. A set of take-offs will probably last you through a full season and with the GNF coming up, it is a good time to shop for a set. 35mm front with tapered bearings is a common upgrade, but there are several racers doing quite well with the stock 33mm front. If you're on a budget... don't waste money on expensive upgrades that will bog down your project, especially when you could be putting it towards race fees and your transponder. A set of redwings rear shocks will do fine starting out, save up your cash and upgrade the suspension with works/progressive, and you won't regret it. The key here is time on the track.

10. NickF

NickF Member

Thanks for all the info guys it is greatly appreciated! I will probably go with works suspension to get started with. I already have the 35mm front forks and clipons, what should i do about re valving the front forks? Race Tech?

11. CharlieY

Thats what I've done.:up:

I dont think you'll be disapointed with the works shocks....they are more expensive than progressive, but I do like the feel better.

...you gonna run Stocker GP class or Modified V1 class?

12. racertex

racertex vintage dude

where are you from?

13. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Says Asheville NC. Welcome Nick, we waste a lot of time posting sense less crap here and busting chops for spelling and such.

14. NickF

NickF Member

I don't know what class i will be running yet. I'm open to suggestions. I have not started to build the bike yet, but depending on my budget and my experience i don't thing ill be in to high of a class. This coming up season will be my first race. But of course i will half to get my license first. I'm just trying to be as prepared as i can be. I have a lot of work to do. I'm going to start with a stock motor and good suspension so i can get the feel of everything.

15. CharlieY

Thats a good move Nick. You are talking 350GP. Read the Superstock rules, then the index rules for the Honda 350, under 350GP, in chapter 11.

Good luck.

16. charles

charles The Transporter

Yes, welcome, welcome! There's much CB350 diesel experience on board to assist you...sooner or later, not today, certainly not tomorrow, but soon, you will find the bestest machine is a 2-Stroker, which of course everyone knows already...when that time comes, just give ol' Transporter a holler and we'll have you on a hot 2-stroker quicker than shit through a tin horn.:up:

17. chcknugget

chcknugget Well-Known Member

Nick, it sounds like you have a good plan and you will enjoy running with the 350GP group. I would echo what boogiesg said about upgrading your bike. Don't get bogged down in high dollar upgrades and get yourself in over your head in work (unless you have tons of time and money). Your first weekend would be the riders school and all you need is a reliable bike that will pass tech. This has been my first year racing (I have a yamaha rd250), let me know if you have any questions about race school, etc.

18. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Then he spelled vintage they way he has heard it pronounced... ;)

Nick- just kidding have fun on your Honda.

19. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Nick....come have some fun in 350 gp.....just watch out for that Charlie Young guy...............

20. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

And don't beleive anything Duck150 tells you. ;)