SV650 guys.....first gen

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kanatuna, May 1, 2012.

1. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I have been looking a bit and it appears my set up has been way off. Anyone care to email or PM some basic set up notes? Ride height/sag/shock length/fork height etc.... Something useful perhaps? lol I'm sure I can get you guys to send me some terrible info:Poke:

The bike as it sits has a Fox rear shock and stock forks with emulators up front. Shock length is 13 3/4'' eye to eye and my forks are 4mm above the top triple.(not including the pre-load cap). This is how I bought it...I kinda just rode the thing...

Thanks,
    Tuna:beer:

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

it's a chopper, but depends on the diameter of the shinkos you use. what spring is on the back?

3. kanatuna

LOL They're your take off shinkos man....you said they'd make me faaaast!

But I guess on that note...I do run Continentals. I will have to check on the rear spring.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Go here, http://www.twfracing.com/ this is a great resource for all things SV. I think we were right around 350mm. We ran the front forks flush, as I recall, sprung for his weight. It had GSXR 750 forks from the 00-03 era and had Ktech front valving and a Racetech rear shock. Always ran it with the shock, as the Ohlins it came with was FUBAR'd. Tyler ran it with stock valving on the front, and then we switched to the Ktech valving, and he instantly picked up a bunch of time after the switch.

5. kanatuna

Hmm.... flush.... I heard 10mm above was the norm? I will check that forum.

Thanks

6. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I think my front is set at 514mm from lower triple to center of the axle but I need to double check that.

7. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i think the consensus on the first gens were 10mm of fork showing, with whatever springs suited your weight, .90, .95??? and a rear shock height at 350-352mm with a 650lb spring was the medium.

the 2nd gens were much different.

8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

that's how mine is sitting right now .95 ft and a 650 rr spring. Im 203 lbs w/o gear and the rr spring is a bit soft.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My memory could be off as we usually ran the 125 flush and the 600 is usually flush too. I will try and find some notes or talk with Tyler and see if he remembers.

10. positraction127

positraction127 Well-Known Member

Ran my 1st gen SV with 10mm showing. The springs were maybe a step too stiff for my weight, but it worked great.

11. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Right now I'm running the front forks flush with the triple but I have an 06 gsxr front end.

12. kanatuna

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'm gonna try 10mm showing. The length of my shock seems to be off as well. I'm gonna look at the spring rate tonight. What are good sag numbers on this thing?

13. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

give the front 20mm, and the rear 10 of free sag and ride it.

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I told you so! :Poke:

15. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

the GSXR forks are not the same length as SV (or different years GSXR)

A good baseline is 10 mm of fork tube showing on the standard fork, and 13 7/8" on the shock. If you go much more you will need to use a steering stabilizer.

Traxxion has good spring rates. At 155 nekkid ( you don't want to see) I run ne .85 and one .9 in front and a 625 in rear. Front sag runs 30-35 mm and rear 25 mm or so.

16. kanatuna

Thanks guys. This is the type of conversation I was needing. I read of 4" of air gap in the forks on the twf forums? Does that sound right? I keep hearing different numbers for the fork fluid. I'm running 15wt(stock forks/gold emulators) with about 3.5" air gap and it feels stiff as hell.

17. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

take 12mm of oil out ..... STOP ALL THIS INCH TALK youre confusing me

18. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

whats your shock length ? we have the same setup on a SV and the forks are 4mm below flush

havent rode it yet so have NO clue if its gunna work :crackup:

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

that's 89mm of air gap, not enough! try 110mm and u can always add. How many turns of preload on the emulator and what springs?? Also, are the rebound holes on the damper rods shut down or open?

20. kanatuna

I have no fuckin idea. lol Seriously.