1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THIS AINT no fuggin new tire!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jrsamples, Jul 13, 2011.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I've never owned a Dunflop tire. I wanted to try the NTEC slick on my SV650, but as you know (and I didn't) that the size is a 195. I have a 5.5 hoop. Was told to get a KR108 (180) instead in a 758 compound. "Well, if it works like the NTEC, I'm in."

I received the tires and the KR108 has a date code of 4307. I thought 4 year old tires were sold to demonstrators to burn during street riots.

Anybody run a new, old tire like this? Anyone have experience with a KR108 in 758 (soft/medium)? Compared to the Power Ones, this one feels like it is going to be a bear to mount.

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I wouldn't push a race pace on a four year old tire - I don't care how it was stored. Trackday putzin' around, maybe.

But if I paid full price for new rubber, and that's what I was handed, I'd be handing it back.

3. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

i got the same deal......those arent even good street tires....im done with dunlop....for this exact reason....

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

If the tire was stored properly it should be ok. I ran a Michelin made in 2007 at Barber and it was fine. Plus, the SV isnt going to push 150+hp thru that sucker anyway! Try it during practice and see how it does.

I've seen guys run the Ntec 190 DOT on SVs with no problem (they are made for a 5.5 rim). Compared to the Power One 180 it is very tall so you will have to drop your ride height for the same geometry.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Age wise... its not that old. Ive used 2006 michelins (new) without any
    issues...even down to the carcass. Where'd you purchase the tire?

6. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Last year I ran a KR108 dated 2006 in a novice sbk race on a built 2007 750 and won the race within 0.2 seconds of the class lap record. Went out the next morning at a track day and lapped 0.3 seconds faster on the same tire. The local Dunlop race tire distributor was confident that the tire would perform just as new, and for my limited skill set it did.

7. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Someone seriously keeps track of "Class Lap Records"? I will take you word for it...:rolleyes:

Ride safe,
    AAron

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Thank you all gentlemen and Aaron.:D I've always ridden Michelins and just wanted to try something new and better. Besides, Michelins can have that heat cycle issue and Dunlops don't.:wow:
    Can't have too much gripage.

Race Tire

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Power Ones don't have heat cycle issues.

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

umm.. Ok..
    And jrsamples, your experience to validate that one tire heat cycles any better than another is based on how much experience? Are you an AM racer or a seasoned expert? Not saying don't try another tire for the sake of trying something new, just be careful of posting info if your not sure if it is true or not.
    And FWIW, Michelin Power1 tires are coming with mfg dates of as late JUNE 2011!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

:crackup:
    Greg, It was an attempt to make a joke. Fact is that I don't know shit about tires or how heat changes them. There is a lot of info out there regarding heat cycles, etc., and probably a lot of misinformation. It was interesting to me that Dunlop addresses the issue straight on at their web site and other manufacturers (that I have looked at) don't say anything about it. That's all. Sounds like you took it as if I were putting down Michelin and trying to be a know it all.

And, no, I don't want to try another tire just for the sake of trying something new. Better, yep.

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

and im not saying there is anything wrong with trying another tire for the sake of trying it.. That wasn't an attempt to say "why would you do that??" Try other tires, they may work for you or they may not work for you. There is quite a variety of different tires with teh michelins, curious which ones you chose? The V front is much different from teh A/B fronts, the 180 rear is going to have pros/cons to the larger 190 rears, then you have multiple compounds to chose from .. A/B/C, put an A rear on in the heat, and it will move around a fair amount, but they ALL wear very well.
    Tire PSI HAS A BIG affect on these tires. It is often necessary to go down a couple PSI on warm days to not have the rear go over 28psi hot.. when it does, grip diminishes. This past weekend we had to go down to 20cold on the rear to keep grip and wear decent.

As far as a "joke".. I'm not claiming to be the brightest bulb in the box, but i ain't stupid. Your comment that one tire heat cycles good but another doesn't didn't come off as a joke, I don't think anyone else caught your attempt at humor either. Sorry if i took it the wrong way, but look at what you posted. I doubt anyone else would see that as a joke, it looked like a "i know they heat cycle bad" comment. anyway! LOL. As far as putting heat cycle info on a website? i think most riders heads would explode if they were given any more info on tires to try and intellegently decipher.. :)

13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

V front and a Power One B 180 rear on your SV will make you happy. 30f/22r in the AM. Drop 1.5 psi in the rear after lunch and let it rip!

14. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

I sold 100+ sets of ntecs where the fronts were 2007 and rears were 2008 date codes over the last year or 2 and haven't had any complaints on them. I run them myself without any issue. Last year I put 500+ laps on a 2007 front ntec and I've done the whole 2011 year thus far on a single 2007 front.... just what I know.

15. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

i was dunlop vendor for 3-4 years, NO WAY would i nowadays sell a guy a 4 year old time..period. Whoever did should be embarrassed i dont care if your on sv or not. thats uncalled for. the tires have changed SO much in construction, compounds, etc in 3-4 years.

The old tires for SV's imo were great! the 950 compound rocked. now we only have the 758(?) and imo its not the best compound. Funnier is the fact they ran out of SV DOT 160 tires this year and we all were told "new batch coming from UK" so now you get one and its 4 years old???

Rumor is their is HUGE issues with US vs UK Dunlop...sounds like someone is still upset about all that Tea we destroyed :rolleyes:

Could be worse thou, once again we have ZERO DOT front tires available this weekend at OMRRA this time... sweet :down:

4 out of 5 top overall championship leaders are on Dunlops guess take off's it is.

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Wall, Ford, Parrish, Birdsong, Yonce, Masecar etc. The fastest guys on this side of the big river run comparable lap times on Superstock SVs. Guess what tires they use? Pirellis, Michelins, and Dunlops. Take your pic!

17. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Eh, you are right. That comment would tend to suggest something that I did not mean (damned emoticons). Getting in the weeds, but this is what sparked my "nojoke". I haven't seen something like this on other sites, that's all.

"Heat Cycles is not an issue with Dunlop racing tires as it would be with other brands. The more important factor is how much tread is left on the tire. Stable fact: thicker rubber has more grip and develops more heat, thinner rubber has less grip and runs cooler. After each session you have less grip..."

So, back to the original question, do you have any hesitation about racing a tire dated 4 years ago?

18. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I have no useful information to add with the exception of...yes, they are a bitch to install. I almost threw in the towel when I was putting on my NTECs. This all on a manual tire changer.

19. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Yup, they do, not bragging....(why would a slow ass novice brag, I'm still 10 seconds slower than a pro). Just saying that despite it's age a properly stored 4 year old tire seemded to work just fine, at least at my moderate pace. I discussed it with the local Dunlop race tire distributor before the race and they had utter confidence in the tire despite it's manufacture date.

20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I have an A front and a B rear on the shelf. You ever run an A there? Bet it will be roasty, but who knows with an SV, maybe not. I didn't really like the v, probably for the same reason some of you like it. The quick turn didn't make me feel comfortable as opposed to the rounder profile. Felt like I would just keep on going all the way to the ground.:) Maybe that's why I don't corner low?

I am never prepared for the wide range of opinions at this place. Awesome and thanks!