1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pit Bull trailer restraint installation

Discussion in 'General' started by benfer, Feb 2, 2011.

1. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

Hey Beeb, i just got my trailer restraint and had a question. I'm not sure why, but i thought that there are 2 plates, one in the trailer and another underneath that sandwiches the floor. I only received one plate, so do i just use large fender washers underneath when I bolt it down? also on a 6x12 how far forward should I mount it so I have the best weight distribution?

TIA

2. KillaR6

KillaR6 I'm Going to be a DAD!

only 1 plate.
    Yes
    forward enough so your bike can clear the front. IMHO it doesn't really matter.

3. benfer

how do you mean clear the front?

4. KillaR6

Meaning you can still move your handle bars left to right or have enough room for other items. Do you have a rear gate on your trailer that you can open and close?

5. benfer

Ohh, ok. Yeah rear ramp door and side door.

6. KillaR6

Cool! I have a cargo van which I use to go to and from racetracks.

7. benfer

i think im going to make another plate to bolt to the underside and sandwich the flooring really well. It may be overkill, but i like that idea more than using washers on 3/8th bolts through 3/4 plywood. just in case...

8. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

I was worried when I first installed mine. Remember that it holds the bike perfectly upright so the side loads are not huge. It will be fine unless you roll the thing.

9. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

Anyone feel like installing my trailer restraint? I have beer.....

10. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

I considered that, but the washers have worked fine for the past couple of seasons. Not sure how thick my floor is. On a wooden floor, be mindful of how tight you make those bolts that stick up, that the two parts slide into (the two parts that accept the U-shaped thing that's attached to your axle). Too tight, and they'll be difficult to remove (the two parts, not putting the bike in and out of them). I found kinda a happy medium, but I still need a rubber mallet to remove them when I'm at the track and don't want to trip over them. Hope that made some sense!

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I used large washers under the floor also, it's been 2 years and no problem at all. I don't think another plate is needed.

12. KILLA1

KILLA1 Orange Suzuki = MY HERO

I used longer screws and a 2x6 underneath the trailer! The 2x6 runs side to side! I have 2 restraint systems next to each other - and wanted the extra strength!
    And I used oversized washers also!!

13. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

That's incredibly exciting! Use of punctuation!

Big Sherm likes this.
  14. KILLA1

KILLA1 Orange Suzuki = MY HERO

Its how important my post was :D

15. benfer

Awesome, thanks guys.

16. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Man knows the importance of discussing PIT BULL products on the BeeB!!

17. sstein77

sstein77 Well-Known Member

Location?

18. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

Los Angeles - ish.

19. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

Lots of people have bought the extra floor plates to put underneath...if it makes them more comfortable, I'm all for it. We don't include 2 plates because it's not necessary and would just increase the cost of the unit.

The worst thing you can do while installing is to install the "mushroom spacers" flange-side down. Its crucial that they are installed flange-side up. Also, be sure you don't over-tighten the bolts. It will warp the plate and make it more difficult to slide the latches in and out. Feel free to PM me any time...I'm usually around during and after hours and will be glad to help.

20. K Kling

K Kling Well-Known Member

I just installed two in our van. They work great! I'm very excited to not have to use tie-down straps any more.