1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pups and trucks

Discussion in 'General' started by dexter69, Sep 12, 2010.

1. dexter69

dexter69 Well-Known Member

Back in the day, I thought it was cool to let the dog ride in the bed of the truck. Now that i'm older, I don't think it's a good idea any more.....seems dangerous for mans best friend. What are your views? I took this pic Friday on the way to Tally GP. Those ice chests weren't even ty'ed down:down:.

Attached Files:

2. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I've sat in the back of trucks plenty of times.... meh

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So have I, but I have the benefit of opposable thumbs to save myself from getting tossed around/out should Mr. Driver have to make sudden directional changes.

Bed-riding pups were all the rage before extended/club cabs were commonplace. My dog has never even been in the bed of my truck.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

i would never ever put my dog in the bed of the truck unless he was in in a secured crate. I hate seeing that.....

5. lyodbraun

lyodbraun Sprocket

yeah I hate seeing people put their dogs in the back like that I know some dogs love it and others prob not so much.. theres some dumb morons around here where I live that ive seen them have their dogs on the back of a flat bed truck with nothing around the sides... and they were not out for a sunday drive thats for sure, driving like a bat out of hell..

6. nemo cockrell

nemo cockrell Well-Known Member

it's a touchy subject.. i see both sides.. but i take my dog to work everyday and im in construction he's in the mud the snow the pond and everything else he can get into..i guess he pretty much knows how to ride in the truck and he's an australian shepard so he has great agility.. but sometimes i put him in the back and he loves it..i love my dog and i guess i take responsibility of losing him if something were to happen..i get some people that scream at me and give me dirty looks like wtf.. but i would rather have him with me in the wind enjoying life rather than sitting in the back yard trapped by himself for 10 hours a day..but i can see how people get the wrong idea..but my dog gets better treatment than my gf..lol

7. Kawasaki

Kawasaki Well-Known Member

I put'em in the bed but I also have a camper shell so it's not exactly what we're talking about. If I didn't have the shell, no, I would not put them in the bed. And certainly not with anything loose possibly bouncing or sliding around. I'd feel real bad if something happened to them.

8. GIXXERMO600

GIXXERMO600 Well-Known Member

personally not a fan of that... i rather have my boy as a co-pilot!

9. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

My little brother has 2 sibling labs. The older large one will walk through the slider window and wander the bed, the skinny runt will only put his head and shoulders out the back. They seem to enjoy the ride and I guess visions of a hunt and the scents of game as we roll past miles of fields make them happy.

10. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

When I was a little kid me, my brother, and our mutant Collie would all hop in the bed of dad's truck when we worked around the yard. We had about 10 acres. I don't think we ever rode on teh streets, but maybe short errands.

I have an Explorer now and the two brutes are always falling and sliding in the back when I go around a turn or hit the brakes. I have no idea how they wouldn't be sliding all over and getting banged up ina pick-me-up bed.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Clyde rides shotgun in the Jeep and when I'm making a sharp turn at speed I'll do a little fake turn twist of the wheel just ahead of and he'll lean into the turn all the while holding on to the jesus bar with a paw. :D

12. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

I have a 135pd Rottie.I put a seat belt on him and he sits in the back seat..I love my dog to much to let him sit in the pickup box nor in the truck with out a seatblet for dogs..There cheap! its a harness that the seatbelt slips through..

13. mountain lion

mountain lion Well-Known Member

14. Femmekat

Femmekat Diesel Powah...

My dogs drive and make me ride in the back... ;)

15. fonz82

fonz82 Well-Known Member

..that can be dangerous if the dog sees a squirrel, another dog in heat, barking dogs, etc. Their instinct if not trained will be to jump and chase.

I've also heard of owners tying their dogs in the bed to prevent this. well numb nuts, now the dog in the bag will be a dead one, when it jumps out and gets caught by said restraint, essentially being hanged before the driver realizes what happened.

16. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Yep, years ago in college I used to have my dog ride in the back of my open pickup. I don't feel the same anymore, just had a nice fiberglass cap put on mine, power sliding window allows the A/C to go back there plus I wired in 2 12volt vans for both our labs to ride in comfort.

17. sstein77

sstein77 Well-Known Member

Lol....It wasn't in a truck, but I used to have a pitbull that loved to ride shotgun in my old RX-7.....I swear he watched where the road was going cuz he would totally brace himself in the seat and lean into the turns.....it was hilarious!

18. cNYnCArvr

cNYnCArvr A little bit of this...

You know you're redneck when....

19. vance

vance *

:stupid:
    Well said.
    My Dane stayed in a cage for the first year while my wife and I were at work. Finally I decided to make the truck bed as safe as possible for him. He rode in the back for 2 years. Finally bought an SUV and pulled the back seat out for him.:D
    We don't have kids, so this dog gets better treatment than most kids in this country. If you care about your dog, you'll make things as safe as possible. If your kid got as excited about racing as my dog gets when he hears keys rattle..... Would you tell them, "Sorry, it's too dangerous."

Speaking of... It's time to run the dog before sun up. It gets too hot for him after about 7. He's SOOOOooooooo abused.:D

20. :stupid:

Caesar rides shotgun too and loves it. :)