1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pups and trucks

Discussion in 'General' started by dexter69, Sep 12, 2010.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Same basic story here, but it was a pitbull in a miata. I used to tell her right or left to giver her a heads up occasionally too.

The least safe I've seen was a guy on the interstate with a dog in the back. But the dog decided that he needed more air, so he was riding on top of the truck toolbox looking over the cab.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

So I have learned
    a. Dogs love Mazda's handling
    b. Dogs have read, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" (which is a great book and a must read, even if you don't usually)
    c. I know you want to take your dog everywhere, but riding in the bed of a pickup is probably not the best idea, and if its black, which most are, it can be real hot for their paws when in the sun

3. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

If it's decent weather out my dog rides in the bed of the truck. Thing is he is about 12" tall so he can't climb out the sides. I still have a short leash I attach to his collar and one of the tie-downs in the bed just to make double sure he won't get out.

He can reach up with his front paws and see out if he wants and seems to enjoy cruising around. If it gets hot outside I let him ride in the passenger seat but his fur gets EVERYWHERE!

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Nothing better than a ride *in* the truck!

[​IMG]

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doodle?

6. pickled egg

Yep, Labradoodle F2, 10.5 months old. He's gotta go to the vet tomorrow for an ear infection, so I'll find out how much the lardass weighs. I figure he's 70-75 lbs right now, vet figures he'll hit 90. He was 4.7 lbs when we got him @ 6.5 weeks. :wow:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ha! We've got one although he was bred a lot smaller, topped out around 50. Our Std Poodle Bear was in the 75 range, big ass hollow mutt.

8. pickled egg

Know a guy who has an Australian Labradoodle that tops out at around 45 lbs. She's got the muzzle of the Lab but everything else about her screams Poodle.

He's pissed. Hates poodles, loves big dogs, and every time I come by with Gadsden he kinda pouts that he's got a girlie-dog. :crackup:

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My friends doodle is a great dog.

I'd be damned if that hairy son of a bitch stepped foot in my truck though.

10. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

:D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good doodles don't shed...

12. WhoDey

WhoDey Well-Known Member

sad to say that I saw the aftermath of 2 beagle pups who fell out/jumped out of the back of a moving truck last week on a main freeway (65 spd lim). thankfully they weren't hit by another car but traffic came to complete stop and a few people got out and helped the owner scoop them up. they appeared very shaken up and I wanted to scream at the owner

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I tried putting my dog in the bed once (in the driveway). He was leashed to the hitch while I was mowing the lawn, and I put him IN the bed to move the truck, so I wouldn't have to worry about running him over.

he climbed through the back window.

He's always ridden shotgun, whether we like it or not. I will say that he's very good about staying out of the driver's lap though.

14. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

It is now illegal in many states to allow a dog to ride in the bed of a pickup unless it is in a secured kennel. Attaching a leash to the dogs collar is only going to get it's neck broken in a panic stop. For those who put their dogs at risk in the back bed because they don't want the inside of their vehicles dirty perhaps dog ownership isn't for you.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed on the leash, if I'm really restraining them its a full harness and short leash to the seatbelt.

For initial training I did do a long leash for Clyde to the roll bar so he could get far if I ran into a store or the like. Now, even with the top down he won't leave the Jeep.

16. pickled egg

Yesterday while coming back from the friendly neighborhood HD, dog had his head hanging out the window like he always does, but this time when I put on the brakes to turn and his weight shifted, he hit the power windows button. All of a sudden out of nowhere he starts yelping like you'd cut off one of his legs, scared the piss out of me. Figured out what happened, put the window back down and learned my lesson...window lockout button <engaged>. Was worried he might be a little freaked out in the truck again (he once got his paw "rolled" under the side door of the house, took two months of coaxing to get him to go through that door again), but this morning he hopped in like nothing had happened.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I got Clydes tail in the rear slider window once, still cringe a little when I think of it, he never really cared.

18. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Dog fall :(

I watched a guy make a left turn in his Tundra tryin to beat the traffic light and his dog fell over the right side but was still attatched via leach to truck...nasty road rash on his hind legs and right hip due to being attatch and dragged 50/60 feet.
    Dog in truck bed must have a short leash attatched to truck.
    Dog= mans best friend....then put dog in pasenger seat.
    Heck if yer gonna put yer god in the bed of yer truck ya should gear him up with sweet leathers :) We all know the consequences of skin on pavement.

19. Booty Freak

Booty Freak Well-Known Member

I use to see a old dude on I-85 in Greenville, SC driving with his German Sheppard standing on top of his tool box looking over the top of the truck. There wouldn't be anybody riding near this dude & people would be hauling a$$ to get by him in fear of his dog taking a leap. :eek:

20. dexter69

dexter69 Well-Known Member

lucky pooch

Same story here, I was riding my Superhawk into town when a brown lab jumped out of the back of a truck in front of me. He was lucky he didn't get hurt or ran over. I was able to pull over and hold onto him for the owner. I told him never to put that dog in the back of the truck again! C'mon man!:mad: