1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peter on Good Morning America

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Aug 30, 2010.

1. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Very classy and well written. Sorry for the loss of your son.

2. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

What a bunch of judgemental fucks.

You same jerks are the first ones in line to buy tickets to watch the worlds best riders at a Motogp event, AMA event etc. How the hell do you think these riders exist?

99% of the worlds top riders had/have parents just like Peter. All these top riders started their careers at a very young age, some younger than 12 yrs old.

As a matter of fact every Pro athlete, Olympic athlete, Pro entertainer, most movie celebrities, or in other words -- every person that inspires most other "normal people" started at a very young age training for their adult careers. They have all been encourage by their parents.

Unless you think you can be inspired or entertained by "normal" people you need to back the fuck off of the parents of these kids.

3. fyyff

fyyff Well-Known Member

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this before. As a whole there are many dangerous activities that kids can get into. Drinking, drugs, gang activity and the like.

There are always going to be and always have been busybodies. Spewing crap like, isnt there a law, child neglect, bad parents, etc. Fuck em. Mind your own business.

4. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I think the worst thing a parent can do, is have an unprepared child follow his/her dream later in life.

I have met more than a few individuals that I would say are ready to venture into the real world.

I know I don't have children but I know what I would do. I would expose any child of mine to as much danger or situations as possible while I am still in a position to provide supervision/guidance.

I don't have the numbers to support but I would venture that there are many, many more young "wanna be" motorcyclist that don't make it past their first ride, their first week, their first month, their first year embarking on the activity of motorcyclist at the age of 18, or 19, or 20 or when they are free from the restriction of home.

Never mind a middle age losing his/her life or suffering irrepairable injuries on a first ride.
    That is just sad as may be deemed just as unnecessary. IMO

5. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

My entire outlook on life changed when my first son was born. After that moment everything you do is just a little different.

Do 12 year olds understand the risk? Ya they do. My 9 year old understands the risk. They know pain, they know death and they know they arent indestructable on the track. They just look at it differently is all. As adults we are worried about how to make the mortgage if we get hurt, how will our family survive if we die... thats our reality on injury and death. A childs reality on injury and death is pain and dead. Theres no consequences beyond that and I envy that.

It's my kids choice if he wants to race or not, it's my choice to enable him to do it or not.

I've had a gutfull of the whole debate. Theres nothing to argue. Little racers turn into big racers, it's no different than football or anything else and it all carries a big risk. We choose one way or another and live with those decisions. If my son was killed on the track I would NEVER second guess my decision to let him race. I see what racing does for these kids, their personalities, their problem solving skills and their approach to life. Race kids are some of the best out there.

Thousands of kids die every year in gang bullshit, drugs and other reasons brought about by poor upbringing, lack of parental involvement or simply because they didnt have anything better to do. Thats the real tragedy.

Peter Lenz went out as a hero to my kid. He went out doing something thousands of kids would do anything to be able to do. He went out as a well loved, well respected person and someone that we can all say was a true inspiration to ourselves and our kids. He is and will always be a true role model to kids growing up.

To Peters family I say thank you. Thank you for giving us what you did. Thank you for giving my son a role model. To Mike... thank you for giving me a role model. I know there is no way to replace your loss but I hope you can take comfort knowing how much you have given to so many of us.

6. TDA

TDA Active Member

7. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not quite true. Biaggi, Bayliss...

9. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

I forgot, Baylis was a dentist before he became a racer....

10. OZZY

OZZY I DO WORK.....

she should definitely be punched in her vagina.... REPEATEDLY!!!! :mad:

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I'll retract if my memory fails me but I thought Bayliss was racing at a very young age?

He did start the serious business later on.

12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Australian speak for spray painter!:D

13. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Bayliss started early and then quit for a while to go paint houses or something.

I hope none of you guys are talking about punching ladies in the vagina on other websites.

14. earacing

earacing Race Dad

It is true that the majority of professional athletes of all types start at a very early age--just look at all the kids in the Olympics. But if a kid falls of a balance beam at 10 and is critically injured, would anyone seriously consider not letting kids do gymnastics anymore? The potential for serious injuries is a part of many sports.

My son is 10 and has been racing for 4 years. He is transitioning to the big tracks now and doing speeds of 100+. We were doing a track day at Auto Club Speedway when we got the news, along with a bunch of up-and-coming kids. My son and I talked, and I reiterated (for the nth time) that this is serious business and we only do it because it's what he wants. The minute he doesn't want to do it anymore for whatever reason, we are done.

Until then we soldier on. It's my job as a parent to give him the opportunity to succeed at something he loves.

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Well said. Well said, indeed.

16. Sounds like you must have been a late bloomer, very late. I remember being 13 in 7th grade, and I definitely understood "shit hurt" and the consequences of my actions. Kids are smarter than you give them credit for, just because it took you 20 years to grasp that concept doesn't mean that's the norm.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  17. CWN racing

CWN racing Well-Known Member

I was 13 in the 8th grade so it seems like you are the late bloomer :Poke:

18. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

So on facebook (i know ghey) a person on my friends list said "i bubble wrap my kids before I let them out of the house". My response... let me know how therapy and drug rehab go for you when you finally give them some freedom...
    Some people just dont get it! I thank the lord everyday for having parents that let me follow my dreams and act on my impulses, as childish or dangerous as they may have seemed back then... Did i get hurt? Sometimes...Did I learn and grow from the experiences, Hell Yes!
    Peter experienced more in 13 years racing and traveling than most adults will ever experience in a lifetime!
    RIP Little Racer!

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

You're both just proving that every kid is different; which only expounds upon the reasons that such choices should be up to parents.

Fact: Peter Lenz was more mature at 11 than some people will ever be. His character is a testament to his upbringing, and possibly THE reason he was so proficient on a race track.

20. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

Well, after looking at a couple of the links posted in this thread, I sent the following to the Fox TV News Manager via e-mail, in the hopes that someone there will actually read it:

"I am a former amateur motorcycle road racer. I didn’t know Peter Lenz, but I feel compelled to write a little bit about the sport that hooks so many people because of the skill it takes, the calculated risks it involves, and the camaraderie that in engenders.

One picture caption of Peter stated that he had won nine national championships and had 26 sponsors. I can assure you that Peter didn’t win a single national championship because his parents wanted him to…he won it because he wanted to. I have never competed in anything more demanding than motorcycle road racing. You have to be focused 110% of the time because there is danger involved, high speeds, the element of chance, and too many other variables to mention. That is the thrill of the sport… and what keeps those of us that road race coming back for more. I can assure you that it is safer to be on track on a motorcycle than it is to be on a public highway on a motorcycle. At the track, everyone is going the same direction. The track has been designed with safety in mind…there are safety barriers, runoff room, a smooth surface, dedicated corner workers, emergency personnel on instant standby, and everyone is focused. No one is riding and using a cell phone or texting. No one is riding and eating something, or has their pet in their lap. No one is reading anything other than a pit board and perhaps a lap timer. No one has their left turn signal on and turns right. You get the picture.

As with most sports, the younger you start and begin to hone your skills, the better the chance that you will probably do well at the professional level. Valentino Rossi started motorcycle racing when he was five years old. He is now 31 years old, has won nine Grand Prix World Championships, and may be the greatest motorcycle road racer of all time. His parents probably struggled with the same things that Peter Lenz’ parents did… Is our son too young to do this? Is this sport too dangerous? What if he is injured? And although at that age the parents are the adults and the final decision making authority, none of that matters if the person actually doing the racing doesn’t have skill and an overwhelming desire not just to race, but to win.

Imagine what it is like to be going over 170 mph, with each hand and foot operating something different, while you are feet, and sometimes inches (or closer!) from someone else doing the same thing. The fact that you can repeat those actions lap after lap, most times without incident, is what allows you entry into the exclusive club called “Motorcycle Road Racer.” Not only do you have to trust your own skills, but you have to trust the skills of your fellow road racers. Things have a way of getting sorted out. The good road racers rise to the top, and those without the requisite skill level leave the sport…either due to peer pressure or lack of results. Unfortunately, in spite of the best efforts of everyone involved with this sport, accidents do happen.

I would suggest that Peter Lenz, even at the very young age of 13, lived more than many people five times his age. There is no doubt that his death was a tragedy. But there is also no doubt that he was doing what he loved..because trust me…you can’t win like that if you are doing it for someone else. That just doesn’t work.

And finally, a closing note for Peter Lenz. Pete…you may have crossed life’s finish line, but you died doing what you loved. All of us will die, and many of us won’t be able to say that we died actually doing what we loved. I am sure that at this very moment, God is holding you close to his heart, watching you practice for your next race…in heaven.

Rest in Peace, Peter Lenz. May your family take comfort knowing that you are in a better place, free of pain, enjoying God’s everlasting love."

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010