1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR 450 at Summit

Discussion in 'General' started by Matt399, Jun 14, 2010.

1. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Sounds like a cool configuration...
    With dyno graphs showing bikes pumping out 68-78hp... You guys are making it harder & harder to run the old trusty FZR400's

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well done Matt. I can't wait to grid up with it.

3. Cajun

Cajun North of Phillip Island

nice to see ya put some real data down about this Chris.

I gotta get hold of you some stage to do some work on my k4 600.

4. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

This Guy is GOOD folks

5. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Told ya I was gonna do it, thanks for the info you emailed a while back! Currently the bike was built on an almost non-existent budget from a dead stock bike, so we're running the stock ECU with a PC3 and left everything else pretty much alone. It has the injector hooked up so it doesn't throw any codes and pulls all the way to the limiter. It was run on a Dynojet 250 and the curve looks very similar to yours, only it stays pretty much flat from about 12K to redline instead of climbing a little more and tapering off. It looks like I'm down about 5hp and 3 ft lbs on you right now at peak, but I'm gonna overlay the curves and see how it compares elsewhere.

I'm pretty broke since it's race season so I'll probably run the bike pretty much as is the rest of the year and experiment this winter. We have some ideas for freeing up horsepower and some others to really wake up the "lazy" nature of the power delivery, so I'll keep in touch and let you know how that goes. In case you missed the earlier post, the bike now has probably 30-40 dyno pulls, four 20min practice sessions, a solo 16 race, and two sprint races on it with ZERO issues. I have a couple friends that are thinking about building 450s now and I think your idea is gonna catch on pretty fast once the rule book makes it official.:up:

6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Trusty FZR400's? It's getting harder and harder to get parts for the ole fzr. Once I got a Kawi ZXR400 I never looked back even though I go to japan for parts. Much, much better machine, immediately went faster on the Kawi even though it was less powerful than the FZR it replaced. Though the thought of making an R6 into a 450 is appealing, especially if it can make close to 80Hp. I sure wish there were inline 450's being made now. Maybe the Gp guys will change their minds and replace the 125's with inline 450's.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  7. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

YES... ;-(

So sad, That is the first thing I thought of when i first read the article last fall. Makes me sad I have a second SS almost done, and a third rolling chassis ready for my fresh 460. TRY TRY TRY not to start looking at R6 classifieds.... ;-)

Rich

8. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I hear ya... I have been SLOWLY working on the 2 FZR400's I brought home from South Carolina...
    One is about ready for paint and then some shakedown races...
    The other really might just need some TLC and could be ready shortly...

9. Matt399

It's putting out slightly less horsepower than the FZR400 I raced against you in DSB novice back in '07 so don't worry too much yet! There are tons of cool DSB (and some SS) legal bikes out there that it takes a proper FZR400 superbike to run with, this is just one alternative. I know Scott McKee isn't worried yet with that monster 400 of his. :D

10. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Thats ok... I have a 460 that I am going to be rebuilding here shortly... No substitute for cc's!!!!! :D

11. Matt399

If you need someone to put that together give Jon at Hovey Performance a call (302-697-7446). He's in Dover, DE but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who knows their way around a FZR400 engine better than him. Plus, you can get a closer look at the 450 project since it's sitting at his shop. :up:

12. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

What, isd Dover teh FZR400 capitol of the world?

Isn't Dover right where Speedwerks is?

Rich

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  13. Matt399

Yes, and the guys there are good dudes but Hovey is the shit. He built his reputation for building fast motors at Speedwerks before opening his own shop several years ago. I recommend him with 100% confidence that his work is top notch... the dude knows his way around an FZR400 engine like nobody else in the area.

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

For those of us that are following this build, could you please explain the advantages/purpose of disabling the cylinder.

15. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

This sounds cool, I have a 04 gsxr600 to mod for 2011

16. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

the fact that he can run it in D class

17. Matt399

Like I said before, to have a late model lightweight class GSXR without spending a crap load of money building one. It also has the benefit of being easily converted back to a 600 if I decide I wanna run CSB in the future.

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Bastards.............. If Mongo allows this I'm in trouble for a couple of reasons. Number 1 is I have a 400 inline that is getting the much needed attention it hasn't had since 91 and #2 is that if he does allow it I'd be looking for one down the road....

19. Cajun

Cajun North of Phillip Island

pretty much most 400cc bikes are 20+ years old, harder to find parts, suspension & technology has changed ALOT in that time.

Its pretty good for younger riders since you get a 600, change it to a 450. Race it for a year or two, then change it back to a 600, and race in 600 class And since they been riding the bike for 2-3 years, they know in out of bike setup/handling etc, now bike just has another 30-40 hp, but functionality its the same bike handling.

20. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Thanks!