1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peeps that camp in their box trailers

Discussion in 'General' started by random hero, Apr 3, 2010.

1. random hero

random hero Banned

Whats your ideal setup? I'm on a thin racing budget this year, and I'm at least 3 hours away from all my racetracks, so I figured the easiest way to cut costs was camp out in my trailer, since I'll be going solo to all the races. I have 2 bikes, which I guess I'll have to leave outside at night, under my ez-up... Large roller tool box, and spare bodywork etc. Just looking for ideas, throw anything out there.

Also anyone install either 12v, or 120v lighting on the exterior of their trailer. I'll be getting to the track in the dark, would really help me set things up, but I'm not having much luck finding things online.... thanks guys, happy Easter :up:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

My trailer is set up with lights on the inside. With the back door down you can see outside really well. I have a portable electric heater for cold and a window unit AC for the heat. If it is just you bring an air mattress and you will be fine.

3. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

I cut an extension cord up and tied it into a 4 plug box that I mounted on the wall in my trailer, and cord goes out a hole in the bottom, so I just plug up to whatever power at the track, but it also runs fans, tv, lights in the trailer without having a breaker box in the trailer.

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

We camped in our trailer all the time. They do a decent job of keeping heat in, and like Jimbo said if you have an air mattress, you're pretty much set.

5. random hero

random hero Banned

I'm going to pick up a breaker box and a couple of ruff in boxes to run outlet's too... Don't have the money to buy a "quiet" generator, but will buy the typical kind and just try to keep it a good distance from everyone.

6. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

http://forums.13x.com/showpost.php?p=2529851&postcount=22

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I usually travel to the track alone but I have it set up where if somebody goes with me then I have room. I now have it set up with a tv mounted up in the V of the trailer. As far as lighting outside I bought a cheap halogen light & I just run a drop cord out of the trailer. I picked up 2 twin matresses from a local habitat for humanity for $25 each because I got tired of waking up in the middle of the night & pumping it back up. The beds are 2 ft up so I can store things under them for the weekend, I usually just leave them down all weekend

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  7. racrx451

racrx451 Well-Known Member

I had a battery tender hooked to a battery that ran the lights and car stereo when we got to the track late. blew up the air mattress and went to sleep... had a generator to run the whole trailer and warmers etc.. It was very cozy. I also brought a small flat screen and dvd player that I hooked to my car stereo surround sound and watched movies at night too. Get urself a nice generator and LONG extension cord.

8. random hero

random hero Banned

Yeah, don't want to be a giant vagina, but it's still in the 30's here at night, so I'll probably run the generator through the evening to keep a small heater going. I have a 8/3 100' cord I'll run, that should be fine. I appreciate the info, keep it coming

9. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

i can actually sleep 3 people in my trailer

10. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Depending on the Hotels in the area you can save as much as $200 a weekend by not staying at them. With track power you can (I do) power a tv, a/c, small fridge, fans, radio, small compressor all kept inside an 8x20 trailer. A couple seasons of staying in your trailer at the track pays for the trailer most of the time. If you can afford it bring a small generator to power tire warmers.
    A $90 futon or air mattress works great, they can be folded up or moved during the day.

11. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

I have a 16x7 trailer and I keep a queen mattress tied up on it's side on one of the walls. Once the bike is out I roll out two indoor/ outdoor carpets inside and lay the matress out in the rear up again the ramp, open the roof vent and run a space heater on low on chilly nights. I use the rubbermade bin I keep my sheets and pillow in for a night table, it's like a hotel in my trailer.

12. random hero

random hero Banned

good info... thanks!! :up:

13. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

Place a jackstand under the back two corners of the trailer to keep it from rocking in the wind for some better sleep. On those windy nights you'll be happy you did!

14. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

also if standing at the back, would not start rolling down hill

15. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

I just use track power to run either a fan or space heater depending on conditions.
    Here are some general donts...
    -Don't buy a hammock to sleep on. It may seem like a kickass idea at the time, but you'll wake up cold and with really tight muscles...
    -if you do get a small generator to run the fan or heater, don't leave it on full throttle all night. You can back it off to where ever it will run your appliance easily. This will save you in gas and from waking up in the middle of the night wondering "where is my heat/fan??"
    -dont leave anything with fumes inside the trailer. Leave gas cans outside
    -dont think that you 'need' a tv in your trailer. The purpose of sleeping in the trailer is to save money. A tv is nice but not necessary.
    -if your car lights have to be on for your trailer lights to work don't leave the fog lights on without hooking up a battery tender to your car battery....

I used to do 3 extension chords. 1 long one to get to whatever pole, a chord with a 3 way split to go inside the trailer, and an extra chord just in case.
    I got lucky year 1 and a guy I pitted next to just gave me a queen sized blow up mattress. Had a slow leak but seeing that my blow up mattress also wouldn't stay fully inflated, I just put one under the other.
    I had a workbench in my trailer that I stored everything in, but that rubbermaid bin idea sounds very good. Just remember to take your stuff out and wash it after the weekend.
    Also remember that some tracks, roebling, make you pay to camp. Last time I was there in 08 I think it was $20 or $30 ontop of whatever the gate fee was.

16. Chris13

Chris13 Which lever is the Brake?

I sleep in the back of my small SUV. I do get envious of the folks who set a four star hotel in the back of their trailers.

17. bsawicki

bsawicki Well-Known Member

im a old school mx racer and a "newb" to the road racing thing, but back in the day it was all about getting to the track as cheap as possible,im still stuck in that mode!, i travel in a astro van,haul my bike on a three rail trailer, when you are on a budget and love racing youll do what you gotta do....the van has been a garage and a hotel on wheels...........i guess i didnt help with your question, sorry!!

18. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

+1, my Hotel 4Runner works well enough. Trailer works okay too.

I need to build a small screen or something that can provide some ventilation but keep the insects out at night.

19. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

We use those stick on LED lights for trailer lighting, and a small camping lantern. Generator or track power for fan/heater. Air mattress to sleep on. Rubbermaid tote for air mattress and blankets as a table basically.

One other thing, if you can in the winter get the bed higher. It is warmer higher up in the trailer. The floor will suck heat out of the air mattress, and make it cold. If you can get it up some, you will be MUCH warmer.

Summer leave it down low is fine.

20. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

stabilizer jacks are key when it's rocking from the uhhh "wind"

Another thing I used to do was bring hangers and make a clothesline out of a tiedown across the back of the trailer at the foot of my bed, much easier than getting dressed out of a bag.

And forget a TV, bring a laptop and DVDs.

The best accessory I ever brought was a girlfriend to set all that shit up :D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010