1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to get in to racing....

Discussion in 'General' started by dogdoc, Sep 21, 2009.

1. speed_junke

speed_junke Well-Known Member

ill be a jennings this sat/sun....... come hnag out! im actually not that far from you in Savannah.....

2. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

An oldie, but still good:

1) admit your bike sucks

2) spend a bunch of money making it lighter (carbon fiber, magnesium, titanium). spend a lot of time cutting off all those little frame bits that you don't need anymore, because you'll NEVER want the bike street-legal ever again.

3) admit your bike still sucks, but is easier to load into the truck

4) spend a bunch of money to make more horsepower

5) admit that your bike not only sucks, but is unreliable

6) spend a bunch more money so the power you bought *is* reliable

7) admit that the bike is fast, but unridable

8) spend a bunch of money getting your suspension redone

9) admit your bike is fast, unridable, and more expensive

10) spend lots of time trying all those settings, and getting no changein lap times.

11) admit that you have no idea what all those knobs and screw are for, and find someone who knows what they're doing, suspension wise.

12) admit that your bike is now light, fast, and handles great, but that you suck.

Note: If you stay with the sport long enough, you can repeat this cycle endlessly. Subsequent cycles can omit all odd-numbered steps, and consolidate the even numbered steps except 12, becoming the patent-pending "Two Step Program for Racing":

1) Throw all available money at the bike

2) And realize "I still suck"

3. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Story of my life Spyderchick. :crackup:

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

"racing" and "racing WELL" are totally different.

if you just want to be able to race, all you need is a bike (ANY BIKE) that will pass tech (safety wire, oil catch-pan, and steering damper, and removal of lights & mirrors) - then take the class on Saturday, and race on Sunday.

but with trackdays a lot more popular than they were just a few years ago, there are far fewer people who go racing without a fair amount of on-track experience.

I wouldn't just jump into racing from day one. do a few (or more than a few) trackdays first. You just don't know how much you don't know - at least I didn't. A one-day race school (or the Ed Bargey school) that gets you LEGAL to participate in races is no indication of how fast the rest of the field will be. frankly, I think racing too early is a waste of your time and money, and may scare the living shit out of you. who wants to pay their entry fees to be left in the dust?

I completed the race school a few weeks ago, and based on what I observed at that round (BeaveRun), after 2 seasons of track riding (~13 days last year, and 8 this year) I would still get lapped by the leaders of a novice 600cc grid - maybe twice. There's nothing wrong with being lapped, but unless there are other new racers out there, you're not left with anyone to actually race against.

I can ride consistent 1:07's at BeaveRun, which is 4-6 seconds per lap off the lead pace in Novice. I'd estimate that someone with little previous track experience could easily be lapping at 1:12 or slower (on a 600), 10 seconds a lap off lead pace - and BeaveRun is a short track. the disparity would be greater at other tracks.

I'm not saying don't do it - but you should know what to expect, and make a realistic evaluation of how comfortable you'd feel on the track with more experienced riders keeping a MUCH higher pace.

as others have said, an SV is cheap on tires, which is awesome. I'm happy that i started track riding on a lightweight twin, but I love my 600 for track days, where not everyone has the same sized bike as me, and passing in the straights is easier on an I4.

with the specific bikes you listed, i'd avoid the 750, just because a 600 lets you ride UP a class, but a 750 is never eligible to ride down a class.

but buy a set-up track bike. you'll save a bunch in the long run.

good luck.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  5. Stavesacre

Stavesacre Well-Known Member

My step 12 is more like: "Realize that my bike is slow, heavy and handles for crap. I suck too much to make up the difference and I have no money to spend to make my bike better cause I spent it all on Hospital bills and tires."

6. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Since you are over in Athens, go see the guys at NPR Ducati. Paul will try to sell you something Italian, with lots of parts made from unobtanium. However, they will definitely help you get sorted as far as learning about racing, and what you need to do to get into it.

Then they'll take all your money.

And have fun.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cruise down to Watkinsville and swing by NPR Ducati, couple of racers working there. Be careful of Paul though, he'll talk you into racing a Desmosidici or something :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

HA!!! Warped minds think alike and all that :D

9. Been-Jammin

Been-Jammin Nomonyx dominicus

+1 Paul is a good guy.

BTW- the air cooled Ducati Supersports are a ton of fun on the track. :up:

10. NC Jon

NC Jon Can I change my name?

I raced for the first time this past weekend with another group (I will be racing with WERA next year, it was a timing thing!) and I can't wait for the next time. I road on the street for a few years and began doing track days last year. This year I did Cornerspeed's Level 1 school and some more track days. Took a break through mid summer for the birth of my son and now back on track.

Overall compared to most other racers my experience on the track as been limited but I have absolutely no regrets about deciding to go racing. Am I fast? No. Did I battle for the lead? No. But I did battle with other guys in the back of the pack. And it was intoxicating. Also I learned a lot as a result. I shaved 6 seconds off my personal best at VIR and I was doing it consistantly by the last race. Riding in close quarters was new but what suprised me was that I was not suprised or spooked when they came flying by a few inches away. Actually, when the really fast guys past me in practice and on the last lap of my superbike race I was smiling in my helmet. I had the best seat in the house to see these guys in action. And no, I didn't pull a JRP, I moved off line and let them through! :p

If you feel comfortable on the bike and can ride comfortably up to but not over limits than I say go for it. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it.

11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Im in Athens if you have any questions pm me.

12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I think you get two different things out of riding a streetbike vs. a trackbike on a racetrack. Riding a streetbike on the track gets you that "great ride" feeling, where there are no limits and you're really enjoying yourself. On a trackbike, you are constantly pushing to find the limits of both rider and machine. All of my friends locally that started doing trackdays over the last year or two are looking for track specific bikes now, and either selling off their streetbikes cause it isn't fun to ride on the street, or keeping their streetbike as street only.

13. Jetbdude

Jetbdude Shake and bake

14. Stavesacre

Stavesacre Well-Known Member

15. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

Don't do it!

Haha. Just kidding. Do it. Greatest thing ever.

16. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

I suggest stepping into racing in a local club series before hitting WERA or CCS. Look up the racing series at Teampromotion at VIR. They also do it at Beaver Run and NJMP. Maybe there's something even more local at Road Atlanta..?

SV650 or a 600 is a good place to start bikewise. Forget the seven-fiddy. Its class options are limited. Working on the bike yourself is the ONLY way you can do this even RELATIVELY economically. - VE

Team ProMotion Racing series

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WTF? I mean seriously, WERA and CCS are the local club racing series. The bullshit TPM runs isn't racing and it sure as hell isn't run properly or even safely.

Go ahead and start the bitching now but don't ever come on here promoting that shit again.

18. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

+1 With his location, I'd suggest doing some trackdays over the fall and winter at Jennings and Roebling. Do the Bargy school then show up in the Spring and run the North Florida region. Great group of regulars that come to race and all the tracks are an easy drive from that part of Georgia.

Been Jammin' is right about the air-cooled ducs being a good bike to start with as well. Great bikes and they got the cool factor on the SV. Just sayin'.

19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I like beer, but if you get around me I'll be pimping those ninja 250s. To start racing I recommend getting an old one for a thousand bucks and learn to ride the wheels off of it.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Quit bull shittin him Kurt...

He needs the biggest baddest 1000 he can find. THen he needs to have a superbike motor build to make some silly numbers. Traction control, wheelie control, slipper clutch and a quickshifter and nuthin but MR9 in the tank.

Only wimps and sissies ride those little 250 things.