1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

350gp class question

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Tinfoil hat charly, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Jockamo

Jockamo Member

Back in 2002 or so, when WERA Vintage was separate from WERA, I had this exact question clarified and the ruling was that NO frame mods were allowed. My gussets and two frame supports were not legal for 350GP, even though everything else on the bike was stock.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask again for a rule clarification, lots has changed since then.

BTW, I was later told by some other guys that no one would have cared unless I started winning races... not much chance of that!

(Just found my old thread. Its from 2004 called "350 GP Eligibility Question".)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

The Prosecution rests :p

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Thanx to all who took the time to respond here.

Good info and insite, and literally what this forum is intended for, huh?

All this talk of conviction and prosecution....I never knew a $50 motorcycle had so much power!!!

I'm just glad I inquired first.

Anyhow, wera33, I enjoy those V1 bikes...sweet bikes. Maybe in the future, we shall see. oh yeah, when I was talking about "applying" the rules, I meant during the building of a bike. I'd see Sean as "enforcing" the rules...the way I meant it, if Sean was the only one to apply the rules, he'd be the only bike builder...welcome to IROC....eh?

Hey Tex, I'd enjoy hearing more about the 04 GNF....is the 250 you mentioned still running?

Thanx again.

4. racertex

racertex vintage dude

ask doug bowie.

he'd know, cause he was riding it....or maybe it was his 350duc.

i don't know, as i was racing.....and winning!

peace,

tex

5. CharlieY

Hey Tex....you're in Philly?...I was born and raised across the river in Burlington, NJ.

Anyhow.....Doug called last nite, feeding me "tips for a rookie at daytona". He said you had (still have?) a real fast bike...but then he recommended I just look the results up (GNF 2004), and form my own opnion.

I'm getting 2 different stories....Caught in the middle here....whats the scoop?

On a side note...I'm VERY glad WERA uses transponders (Kudo's WERA)...not only does it help me at the track, but you can go back and see improvements (or declines) as well.

look forward to meetin and racing with ya, sometime, I hope.

Hey....is there any racing (for our Honda's) during Laconia?

6. charles

charles The Transporter

Ah, it's like music to me ears, 'hearing' this lively exchange of words back and forth between the two "Bob's"...here a Bob , there a Bob, everywhere a Bob-Bob...but grant me leave to make some distinctions:

Our "Good Bob" does indeed have a sense of jocularity which is often outweighed by his business-like demeanor...our "Evil Bob" is, as you know,a resident PIE Master, known to those who seek enlightenment, and yet,there is that dark shadow side which most would studiously avoid...both "Bob's" are genuinely unique, witty, and competitive...but, East is East and West is West and the twain shall never meet...this is the WAY it must be for now and evermore in the Land of the Nik.

7. racertex

racertex vintage dude

charly,

maybe he was sandbagging in 500gp, i dunno.

laconia is great! check out www.race-uscra.com for the schedule of racing at nhis!

i'll be hitting all three summit rounds, a uscra nhis round, and mosport this year.

see you trackside.

tex

8. Ducman705

Ducman705 Stressed Member

Hi Guys , Haven't been on here since my piss-off with WERA after the 2004 GNF in which I ran off track twice during the race , "" losing "" position to Mr. Bowie , and still beat Mr. Bowie to the finish line . WERA decided to dock me a lap for running off to gain position which they recinded when told that that was NOT what happened and changed the offense to " dangerous riding " . Anyone who has ridden against me knows that I would crash myself out before putting someone else in danger from something stupid that I had done . That call cost me the 2004 championship . Well , all that is in the past and done with . I've had several injuries : at Daytona in '05 and in the MotoGiro race in Italy in '05 . Those have been fixed along with several more surgeries to correct problems with my hands ( carpal tunnel ) and my elbows to correct nerve problems causing my hands to go to sleep while riding . Just returned from Daytona where I finished 4th in 350 GP and 12th in 500 Premier on Monday and a DNS in 350GP and a top ten in 500 Premier on Tuesday . This was after a 2 yrear layoff and back row starts in all classes . I'm ready to bring the Ducs out again at selected races . There is also another 350GP Duc , # 3 , in the works to serve as the test bed for my short stroke engine project which is underway again . That bike is 25 lbs lighter that my other two and I've lost 25 lbs plus I can actually control the throttle and brake properly when driving into the corners . Weight equals HP so my lap times should be going down from before . I may make the Summit race provided preparation for this years' MotoGiro race in Italy goes well . If not , I will be showing up for several races this year both in the Mid-Atl region and the S/east region . No more championship chasing , just fun stuff ! I'm looking forward to seeing all y'all again . Tell Mr. Bowie he'd better start working on his Ducs . It's great seeing that Scott, Robin , Tex and the Bobs are still mixing it up here . Y'all take care and we'll be seeing 'ya soon ! :up: Steve Mahanes

9. racertex

racertex vintage dude

steve,

congrats at daytona. i'll see you at summit!

tex

10. evilhordewannabe

evilhordewannabe Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you Steve.I hope to see you at the track soon. Todd Taylor

11. CharlieY

Thanx Tex.....wont make it this year, but maybe next.....looks like fun. Do you know if you can camp at the track?

Hope to catch you guys at the track soon.

Hey...on the 2004 GNF....WERA results read you finishing 2nd in 350GP. I checked mylaps to confirm....Am I looking at this correctly, correct year?...also shows you 500 GP champ.

I'm looking forward to the future.

12. racertex

racertex vintage dude

2004 gnf:

came in third in 350gp behind mahanes and bowie.

came in third in 500gp behind rickard and rutherford.

had a great scrap with bowie (out in 250gp) and philips (500gp), came out ahead there, but still third in my class. got lucky with points and won the championship.

the rest is ancient history.

best,

tex

p.s.- yes. nhis lets you camp at the track. showers/toilets are first class being a nascar track.

13. CharlieY

10-4 Tex.....but results show you 2nd, not 3rd. Doug had mentioned Mahanes going off track, and that shows in the transponder stuff...he and doug were like a 1/4 sec apart, but he shows lap down in third you second.....reads out like one hell of a race!!!!!

I BS with Doug every few weeks and at the track, we usually pit close. He lives pretty close and helps me out on bikes when I need it.

He said both you guys are fast and have fast bikes....and that it was a hell of a race.

Dont know much else to say about doug, except that SOB can ride!...lookin at the laps, I guess back then 250GP and 500GP same race???....I know dave rutherford, have raced Rickard, and from what I hear from and about you....dont appear to be any slouch's.....and Ol doug on his 250GP bike, according to total times, woulda finished podium in 500GP class that race......that boy is fast.

Sounds to me you got the championship cuz you won it....

I run V5 also, and doug on that big Duc of his is like magic sometimes.

Hey...do you know Mike Ewer?...pretty fast honda 350 there also.

I'm officially putting a trip to laconia (08) on my list.....I've done Daytona dozens of times, first time I've raced was this year, BOT F3. Done Sturgis....time to head north to Laconia and check out some friends in Burlington / Bordentown area.

Do you race during the Rally? How far from Philly is Laconia?

14. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

Am I gay?

CharlieY told me I'm gay if I brace my CB frame for GP class. IS he right? :moon:

15. CharlieY

Naaaaa.....I said your gay if you dont!......yeah.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

brace that bitch. shes asking for it!

jc

17. CharlieY

Hey toecutter....dino...It has been brought to my attention that I should clarify instead of joking around here on this topic.

If you read through this ENTIRE string, you will see several different opnions.....brace or not to brace.

In the end.....I was convinced not-to-brace....just wanted to be clear.

Anyhow, sounds like your bike is coming together, and looking forward to Tally and runnin with you buddy.

Hey.....Norton club meeting coming up....this time you wont be talking me into stopping at every bar on the way home.....you are a bad influence....you and that Dave Brock.....jeez.

18. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Directly from the horses mouth!

Earlier this month I was privileged to meet the man that indexed the CB350 into WERA vintage GP350 racing. I remember that he pointed out the that re-welding the top of the spine of the frame was a really good idea. Having not taken notes during the conversation, and having covered many other topics, I have sent him an email and asked for his input on the original intent to settle this question once and for all. Stay tuned and let's see what John has to say.

19. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Hey Steve, good to see you're still on a Duc. Good luck this year.

Good Bob and Evil Bob... just kiss and make up... chicks dig that sorta thing.

20. Jockamo

Jockamo Member

> Stay tuned and let's see what John has to say.

Is this John Early? Just curious cause he's the old WERA Vintage rules guy who told me I had to race V1 with my stock engine because of the frame supports.