I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I currently have a Cha
    I currently have a Charles Daley which is a Rock Island under a different name. I have also had a Springfield Armory, which was a Brazilian frame unknown manufacturer, and a Norinco. They all worked well from stock and they all benefitted from some personalization with grip changes, triggers, full length guide rods, shock buffers, springs,etc. I would say get whatever best fits your budget at the moment and start looking at fun upgrades.

gapman789 likes this.
  2. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

yeah i heard that if you do walk the whole thing its was 13 ish miles wowza

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Went shopping today....bought 500 rds of Hornady 556 for $10.99/20 and some more Federal 180 gr 10mm for $21.49/50, 250 rds. Going back tomorrow to get 1000 rds Maxxtech 9mm for $10.99/50. I can't pass up a good sale for nothin'.

Do you guys have a safe just for ammo? My 26 gun Winchester is filling up fast. 5 pistols, AR 15, 12 ga shotgun, 12 p-mags, 20 pistol mags, holsters, and 7000 rds of 9, 556, 223, 10 and 12 ga, I'm running out of space quick.

I'm gonna have to get a second safe.

Almost pulled the trigger on a SA Prodigy 2011. Got my eye on the Life Free Armory Apollo 2011 too.

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Don’t get the Prodigy double stack 1911. Get a Staccato C2. You’ll thank me later.

They have blemished models on their site now.

https://staccato2011.com/products/staccato-c2-cosmetic-blem

5. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

good idea to be stacking up ammo now as i think prices are gonna be going up soon till nov. Get the prodigy 4.25 barrel length

gapman789 likes this.
  6. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I used to lock up ammo but not anymore. I may find a HD cabinet and go back to that just for the sake of having it all in one place and easy to see for inventory.

gapman789 likes this.
  7. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Seriously? Where the hell did you find Hornady 5.56 for .55cpr? I’m assuming it’s Frontier? That’s killer. I’d be weary of that 9 though. Lots of better stuff for around the same price.

As far as ammo, I ran into the same problem. So a few months ago, I bought a chinesium locking metal cabinet off Amazon. Did some research to at least try to find the best of the chinesium for what I wanted and it seemed to pay off. Went together surprisingly well and seems rather sturdy. I think I’ve got around 20k rounds between various pistol and rifle calibers in there (not including .22 since that would add another 10k and be misleading) plus some mags and spare parts and tools. It sits next to the safe in the garage (not climate controlled) and the key lives in the safe (not that it’d be hard to break into but I’m at least gonna make a thief put some effort it). I put some of those reusable desiccant packs in there and so far I’ve surprisingly not had to bake them yet. That said, I did this sometime in the fall so we’ll see what happens when that TN summer & humidity rolls around. But I also don’t stockpile the same ammo for long. I use it on a first in, first out basis and I doubt hardly any ammo is sitting for more than a few months at most in there. So I’m not too worried about it.

I’m really happy with this decision so far but it has admittedly only been a few months. If you’re curious which cabinet I bought, let me know and I’ll dig it up on amazon.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  9. redtailracing

Someone talk me out of (into) a shadow 2 compact. I keep feeling a gravitational pull to that gun that’s getting harder and harder to resist.

10. StaccatoFan

Do you have a Shadow 2?

Have you held a Shadow 2 Compact?

If you like/love the Shadow 2, I think the Compact is a no-brainer. I held one at my fav gun shop in Finksburg, MD and it's definitely a winner.
    I would maybe have bought it, but I put a Staccato CS on layaway instead that day. Maybe I'll pick up a Compact later this year...maybe not.
    I also have a CZ75 P01 that I just shipped to Cajun Gun Works yesterday for new sights (cause the stock sights were the worst part of that gun),
    new trigger job, and a bushing barrel.

I've gotten to know a youtuber that does gun comparisons and he has a Shadow 2 Compact, maybe he'll let me shoot it. He's going to use my Staccato XC with Infinity Trigger in one of his future videos.

11. What are yall using for EDC IWB holsters? I have a few different ones and modified a couple but each one has its +\~. I may end up just making my own out of carbon and using bits from other holsters.

12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

It varies depending on the weapon system.

Currently, the FN Reflex resides in an Urban Carry LockLeather IWB. Even though it was designed to work with a red dot, the moisture treatment didn't move the leather enough to make way for the RDS, so I cut a smidge away from it. It's a well-built holster, and very comfortable.

The H&K USP lives in a Cardini Zorro Series unit. I really like the quality of this holster (not to say the Urban Carry is bad), but the leather used is a bit thinner than others we have in the drawer, but it's held up really well.

Those two are the only model-specific holsters on hand that I like. Everything else is either generic or re-purposed for vehicular carry, so can't find the brands on those.

13. StaccatoFan

14. redtailracing

Shot a few different variations of the 75 and own an orange tactical sport. Oddly enough have not shot a shadow 2. And at this point the shadow 2 seems too similar to what I already have. But the compact speaks to me. Finally held and played with one at the local shop a week ago and that definitely didn’t help things. lol

15. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Where do you carry? Appendix…Tier 1 Concealed Axis Elite. Strong side I’d go with Tier 1 Xiphos or if you want a little more minimalist approach the Vedder Light Tuck is solid too.

16. gapman789

Wait for the Canik TTI coming out for under $1000 soon.

Taran Tactical Innovations for those that didn't know who Taran Butler is.. lol. I binged on YT vids with him and John Wick and Halle Berry in training for the movies. good shit.

17. gapman789

Hornady 5.56 - https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/204584

This outdoors retailer is the #1 gun dealer in Ohio....They have 6 stores, only in Ohio and about 35 mins from me. So I don't have to worry about shipping with them either.

I got the last of their Maxxtech 9mm, 800 rounds, $.22 rd today.

Their sales are good til Feb 4...I'll probably grab some more ammo this wknd.

18. gapman789

Went to an indoor range for the 1st time in my life. Range USA.
    It was 'ok', at least I know what to expect. I had ear plugs in and my Peltor electronic muffs. The percussion/blast from an AR on either side of me was crazy. I didn't like that at all.

I rented 2 hrs. Shot approx 672 rds of 9mm and 204 rds of 10 mm.
    Took 4 pistols....Canik Rival, SA XDM elite 10mm, Arex Rex zero compact, and Canik mete mc9. Total of 876 rounds. jeebus fuk.

I was really able to see the difference in accuracy with each gun, especially at 7 yrds. The Canik Rival just makes a 2" hole out of the bullseye. That gun is so damn accurate. It's gotta be the trigger.

Arex Rex Zero is the smoothest, easiest shooting and my fav to shoot. 2nd accurate as well.

I shot the hell out of the Canik MC9 since it's my EDC. Anything past 10 yds and I need a 24" target I think. But at 7 yds, I'm pretty good with it.

The SA XDM 10 mm is the newest to me. Got better the more I shot it, but i thought i would do better with it. It's a heavier trigger but it's smooth and predictable

I had 16 mags averaging 17 rds preloaded, that's 272 rds...I took an additional 400 9mm and 150 10 mm. Used it all and had ZERO failures.

scottn likes this.
  19. StaccatoFan

It’s a Rival. Big nothing burger.

watch the YouTube 1911 syndicate video on the TTI pit viper. It’s way not that great. It’s a movie prop. The Staccato XC is a better gun for half the money.

20. gapman789

I remember Redtail comtemplating getting a canik, so that's why I brought the Canik TTI up. Maybe an incentive for him to try one out.