Why aren’t there Americans left in Motogp

Discussion in 'General' started by 392, Jan 17, 2024.

1. 392

392 Well-Known Member

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Good article - thanks for linking.

3. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

We have no true feeder program. Spain and othr\ers have a moto2 championship. Going from a 600cc supersport to a moto2 is a giant leap. everything is adjusatble and the mot2 bikes do faster lap times than our superbikes.

Pixelator and Senna like this.
  4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

What was your opinion on Alex Marquez performance once he got off the Honda?

5. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I saw the headline yesterday, but didn't click on the article because I had assumed it wouldn't be interesting, given it was on ESPN. It actually was interesting, especially the part where Rainey said that, all things equal, an American rider might actually have a better chance of getting into MotoGP nowadays than a Spanish rider, given the dearth of the former, and glut of the latter.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's been this way since at least the Nicky Hayden days. American fans don't want to hear it because they would rather believe it's because of "anti-Americanism" that more Americans can't get in.

The Great One, henry_carlson and bpro like this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

We don't have anyone fast enough. They go, they get smoked, they come back. Ben went over this in his most recent interview.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That anti Americanism shit hasn’t flown in years and people that spew it are artards. Dorna wants American riders in the series to the point I’d bet would throw out some “incentives” to get a fast, marketable American who can compete for wins over there.

The reasons why are obvious: American sponsors and cash.

Honda didn’t want Nicky but American Honda pushed and it paid off for everyone. Now the potential payoff is 100x greater.

10. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

What does Hayden and 2003 have anything to do with it now a days? You mentioned lobbying by America Honda but we have no American Factory Teams anymore. we have "partners" who basically pay to have factory support and have the riders dictating to them who the riders are.

Not trying to disagree just curious on your perspective, are you saying all we need is an American to change the narrative? If so, wasn't Nicky a grown ass man with chips in the big boy classes? We had someone fit that bill that could only land a c+ level moto2 seat that had no alliance to any factories.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    ToofPic and Namarow like this.
  11. henry_carlson

"We have opportunities in place with Dorna, which own MotoGP, and we have a close relationship with them," Rainey said. "So if we see a young talent, we try to plug them into the Spanish championship. We've had kids in there, but at the moment, they just haven't gotten that next step, but we're still feeding it, we're still working it."

Lol big facts. Last American did so well he lost his ride (sigh). And from what I can see, the whole Spanish CEV pipeline has been a bit stagnant in the last few years. Has anyone from CEV landed in any GP class since the rebrand? No one jumps to mind

12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Maybe if our kids were training on real small GP bikes and not Barbie's Ninja, they'd be a little more prepared for the world stage and battling in Spain.

Namarow and vizsladog like this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What rebrand? "Junior world championship?"

14. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

We ran actual small GP bikes. On a good day, four of them would grid up. Perhaps our kids need to train on downsized touring bikes to reflect the reality of American motorcycling.

TurboBlew and voss555 like this.
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Henry, marketability, talent and raw speed. Nicky and the “ah shucks” act was a sponsor’s wet dream.

The Ben: marketable as f but in a different way. Good looking, fast, Texan and an interesting personality.

Boobietitties: good looking, fast, Californian, squeaky clean image. Marketable as F and could have continued on in moto2 for a few more seasons.

henry_carlson likes this.
  16. henry_carlson

Yessir, havent recognized the names from that series in moto2/3 for a few years now.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do you remember what year it changed, so I can give you some names? There has been a steady flow into Moto 3 as far back as I can remember.

18. henry_carlson

2022 was the first season - but you are right as always, I mistakenly missed the connections but they certainly were there in the last two years with the likes of Farioli, Salvador, Rueda and this year with Piqueras

that 2021 class is freaking insane: Holgado, Ortola, Munoz in 3 and Fermin & Lopez in 2

19. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I think Cam B. would have done well on a MotoGP bike and he damn sure would've done well on a WSBK. Would be interesting to see how well Jake Gagne would do on a return trip to the WSBK paddock or MotoGP. Even though he's on the best MotoA bike in the paddock right now, he easily handles his teammate and the rest of the field.

Pixelator likes this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Gagne’s issue for motogp is age. About 7 to 8 years too old to become a motogp rookie but I could see him in wsbk again but that’s a long shot.

Cam Peterson: he’s South African so, let them figure it out. :D

Herrin: too old and completely shit the bed in moto2 (reasons why are pretty well reported).

I could go on but no point. :)

JD Beach, if he was 5 to 6 years younger would be my pick to send over. His disability would be one of my selling points if I was marketing him especially to a German sponsor. Germans love mullets. :D