1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Time Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Mar 31, 2020.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I've got a three car garage with no cars in it in Middletown, PA (about 80 minutes from NYC, straight shot down 95) if anyone needs some storage space.

@Boman Forklift I used to have a mini in there but I sold it to some guy who never rides it, so there's definitely room for another bike (or two) if your son needs space.

If he's itching for riding for a weekend without committing to getting his own bike, he's welcome to borrow one of mine.

motion and Boman Forklift like this.
  2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea I like 360’s and 430’s and would want a stick or would be willing to buy a converted F1. If I buy a Ferrari it would most likely be one of those. That yellow one was bid to 80k, not sure what it sold for, but that would have been a great price. Those 18k shocks are the kind of education I’m worried about getting, if I ever dive into exotic land.

I have an Exige S 260 Sport and really love the go kart feel of the steering, however the sound and looks don’t compare with a Ferrari, but the handling of the Lotus is incredible. My wife would have preferred I bought a Ferrari or GT3/4, because those are more comfortable, but they are also a lot more money. Maybe someday?

For $200 a month you have a smoking deal, that’s great!!! If my kid found something like that. I think he would have already bought a GT3.

3. Boman Forklift

That’s one heck of a nice offer. I will mention it to him. I still have another 6 weeks to get out on that mini!!!

SuddenBraking likes this.
  4. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Exige? Shit, you're in exotic land already. What's a front clam cost for that?

I'm not sure where my friend landed on price. Low 90s after the PDI, I'm guessing. He said it was far nicer than he expected plus it came with a lot of stock parts. He'll drive the shit out of it too - can't wait to hear how it runs at Laguna.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

It's only exotic in how few are made, but it doesn't have the sound of an exotic, but I still love it. Clams are expensive, I don't know how much, but the drivetrain is cheap Toyota stuff and they are made so a regular guy can work on them. I actually pulled the Ohlins shocks and took them to one of Tyler's old suspension guys and got them all rebuilt for under $800 with new bushings and seals. He said they were just like motorcycle shocks. Would be interesting to hear what he thinks about it after having owned a Lotus? Handling wise, I don't think any Ferrari or Lambo will feel as good, but I could be wrong?

Mike Fennell likes this.
  6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Cruise up to exotics racing in Vegas, they still have a 430 in their fleet you can hustle around the track. It will get you a decent feel for the handling difference to your Lotus.

7. Boman Forklift

Sounds like a good idea. My son did one of those exotic places in Vegas 3-5 years ago and had Javelin Broderick (kid he raced WERA and AMA with) as his instructor. Javelin told him to not waste time in any of the other cars and just go straight to the GT3. Tyler loved the GT3 and still wants to buy one.

I did the LA Porsche experience during Covid in a GT3 and it was fantastic. I didn't have the lotus yet. Memory tells me the Porsche is faster, and sounds much better, but with the lotus you can run over a coin on the ground and tell whether it is heads or tails.

brex likes this.
  8. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Next seasons upgrades in progress.

[​IMG]

adrenalist, freedomgli, 418 and 6 others like this.
  9. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

I'm sure you're right but he's not going in blind - his dad owned an F1-equipped 360 when they were new (and a CS later I think) and I know they took it to the track and surely beat the shit out of it since they were both racing Formula Atlantic around the same time. He was just ready for something different. He had a Viper ACR before the Elise.

While I love the Elise, it's kind of a single focused car and the Exige even more so. I had a 996 GT3 for a short time that was similar. Amazing when driven completely inappropriately but a lot less fun at anything approaching legal speeds. The 360 is fun all the time. I'm surprised at the reactions of people who have driven mine in addition to lots of other stuff. A guy who was a member of the Manhattan Classic Car club got out of it (after a drive my buddy in the passenger seat still talks about) and said "This is my favorite car, ever".

10. Boman Forklift

I think I will have to make the 360/430 plunge in the next few years. At this time I just don’t want to sell the lotus yet. So either save more money or get tired of the lotus.

Years ago I had a Viper too and they are a lot of fun, mine was just a regular Gen 2, not an ACR. I agree if he has racing experience, he knows what he is getting. A GT3 would definitely be fun.

Mike Fennell likes this.
  11. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

My garage time project for the last 4 months. I picked up these 2 Suzuki Bandit 400’s in August.
    IMG_3294.jpeg

….and combined them into this:

IMG_3810.jpeg

Still have a ways to go. 5500 miles on the engine. I rebuilt/serviced/replaced just about everything. I need to clean up the Yosh full system it came with and find a color matching front fender and it will be about done…

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    YamahaRick, Razr, Jed and 8 others like this.
  12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Aaron - I thought I was bad with the 1G SVs…:D

AMac likes this.
  13. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

I can stop anytime I want…

14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

said every junkie…:D

F63A0724-1CB8-4676-951B-469BD93F51C6.jpeg
    A7281EC7-B907-422E-98D9-B23E34398C36.jpeg

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I need a frame and forks to get mine back in shape.

16. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Got a table for the Grom. The Boy and I will be getting some good garage time in this winter…

A7520C6E-C742-4F68-A2F4-E299AD9D430B.jpeg

17. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Great progress. Did you find those out of Atlanta? Also, a first gen SV goes right on there if you want dual discs.

And you have a full yosh system? That is a fantastic part to have.

18. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I'm in the garage drinking beer and working on the stuff I plan on racing next year. The only thing that could make it better is a good dog!

JBall likes this.
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hey John Branch when do you want that widow maker 66 Yamaha? I need room for this new project
    upload_2023-12-27_14-34-51.jpeg

20. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

My RS250 is in the mean streets of Dover, Delaware for some @SpeedWerks Racing love. Time for yearly maintenance on the db4.

db4-on-lift-sm.jpg

It's so tidy with the body off. The tank/tail is one piece fiberglass and comes off with 3 bolts and an electrical connector, which is nice. The rest is made up of 5 pieces of the shittiest plastic they could possibly find. It aspires to be as good as ebay China fairings. Just assembling it asks for cracks. I've reinforced all the bolt holes with fiberglass, which seems to have stopped the bleeding and I replaced the lower with a CF part from Perfect-Fairings in Greece. I was jealous of the fiberglass fairing on my friend's db2 until I learned it's one piece, split at the bottom. They kick you in the balls one way or another.

db4-body-off-sm.jpg

Last year when I pulled it apart, I found a cracked upper fairing stay, which a friend neatly welded back up and reinforced, then a local shop powder coated it. This year's box of chocolates brought me an oil leak so I get to learn a little 2V Ducati wrenching. I think the clutch pushrod is leaking too.

db4-oil-leak-sm.jpg

Fortunately, the db4 is about the easiest Bimota to work on and it looks like the head will come off w/o disassembling the entire bike. I assume it's an old o-ring.