Twins Cup - how much are they spending?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 22, 2023.

1. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

kirk erlinger, Phl218 and Rugbydad like this.
  2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

What makes one a Premier entrant?

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Certificate of Clapped-Outedness. :D

AMac and Gorilla George like this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Props to you for running in Twins cup, man. I'm sure it's been an awesome experience.

But fuckin' hell, I wonder if the costs would be a lot more palatable for a privateer if we were running a moto2-esque class in the states with a SpeedUp or Kalex chassis.

SUPER K and Gino230 like this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

So...SSTK1000 costs less to run and pays more in purse and contingency, yet Twins has more entries. Sounds like affordability isn't really an issue here...

voss555 and Gorilla George like this.
  6. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

C'mon Tristan, you know us twins racers have a few screws loose :D

I can say building the R7 aint cheap...

Gino230, Monsterdood and 5axis like this.
  7. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Hasn't the Stk1000 class regularly put 30+ bikes on the grid? Twins has 23 season entries stk1000 has 22... But I'd argue that locals will always show up and fill the grids out for the STK1000 class when MA come to their tracks. I don't believe you can say the same for the Twins cup.

I don't think they are doing the SBK Cup thing anymore though.. It does look like SBK's 24'sh season entries is made up of STK1000 guys running double duty.

Anyway, Twins Cup is cool and I like the builder aspect of it a lot, and it's great to see all the different approaches.

8. I’d assume a fair bit less cost and a lot less on things like engine rebuilds, crash damage, etc. The twins class should be called Superbike Twins because that’s what they are. Extremely tough class to balance so I see the need to open up rules which allows more freedom in balancing but the rules make the class pretty expensive.
    What I love about the twins class and have always loved about what’s gone on before that at club level with the twins is the innovation. It’s great seeing 3-4 creative ways to get a good Ram air set up for example.

5axis and Gino230 like this.
  9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

According to the results he was 11th and 10th on an Aprilla with a top speed of 141 mph, putting him in the top 1/3 of the speed chart. I don’t know him, but I’m sure that took some great riding to accomplish. There are some very fast guys out there for sure that can do more with less.
    I wasn’t saying you have to have a built engine to compete, just that the bikes are all fast and it takes a fully built Yamaha to keep up. Us senior club racers need very damn HP we can find.

10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Stk 1000 is becoming huge with 40+ entries per weekend. Twins had 38 but Rocco and the racing gods cut 10 or so out of the field. I believe the same happened in Stk 1000, too. To me, that is a sign of a healthy series.

Supersport is cheaper than twins. The GSXR 750 kit is around $10k. We have the same amount of sessions, so tire consumption are potentially the same for the top guys.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Oh no I agree, my response was supposed to mean that you are correct with the engine builds needed especially at road Atlanta. He rode his ass off and that was all it could do.

Gino230 likes this.
  12. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Starting to think about an RS for next season and wondering what the difference is between the Twins Cup build and an endurance build if any? Saw a fellow racer chuck a rod out of a relatively low hour RS at BIR a couple weekends ago so carillo rods seem like they should certainly be on the list.

13. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I remember beinf excited to hear about the twins class coming in to be a feeder class........then I saw the rules. I knew this was going to get more and more expensive. And all this money is being spent on street bikes.
    Why the heck don't we have Moto2 and Moto3(and I don't mean GP level) classes in MotoA? Have a few engines that are allowed without many mods and have tons of shops here in the US build frames, swingarms etc.

14. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Heard a rumor JC going to NSFs next year...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because there won't ever be tons of shops building frames...

16. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Yea, you may be right. But cheap frames are already available in EU and Asia. They have so many options over there. But, for some reason everyone here wants to race the same bike they ride to work :P

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Stanboli to my knowledge is the only American guy to have competed with his own frame in any pro series (roadracing) in my memory since KR. I don't think any USA shop even makes swinging arms. (Not including Roaring Toyz etc I'm talking about for roadracing. :p)

Nod to Michael Cysz.

18. Riot

Riot Well-Known Member

All the Moto2 frames are Kalex now. Chassis cost like $130k+

I think the aprilia entry really blew that class up. Basically, you gotta be on an aprilia or build a proper super bike to catch one.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kramer.

Steeltoe likes this.
  20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

the throttle by wire kit is over 10k, plus SS goes to every round and twins go to 7 rounds. The logistics of racing MA is what costs so much. SS bikes and twins bikes costs roughly the same. Jr Cup bikes are the cheapest of course, but not cheap..

Gino230 likes this.