1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twins Cup - how much are they spending?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you have to ask you probably aren't charging the roadies enough for the backstage handjobs....

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The season tire and travel costs for Twins should be less, as they don't go to all the rounds. Plus, SS pretty much has to have at least some level of quick-change components and enough wheels and crew for a hot pit stop. Wheels should include at least one extra set (two would be better) for rain tires in the SS endurance races. Travel costs will vary greatly depending on # of people on the team, grade of hotel (or camper), number of people willing to share a room, how many teams are sharing the transport rig, etc.

There is at least one racer getting into the Twins Cup top 10 fairly regularly with a stock RS motor. Still, a stock motor RS with all the race parts, tuning and spares is not cheap. Nor are the forementioned travel costs, tires, entry fees, spec fuel, etc.
    What pro series allowed a Kramer in?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Didn't read his whole statement :D

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

There was a recall on rods on a batch of 2021 bikes. He can have a dealer run his vin and see if he has a recall engine. We broke stock rods when we leaned on the engines for MA in 2022. For 23, MA gave us rods and most recently, they allowed the Yamahas to close the deck to stabilize the cylinders and help the head gasket survive. IMO, put Carrillos in the RS660, give it a valve job and pull a layer out of the head gasket and it will be more than capable in endurance. Robem goes full retard and runs MA spec engines in endurance. Full send!

t11ravis and No Brakes like this.
  5. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

I will have him check that! Thank you, that's the info I was looking for.

6. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Verlicchi in Italy made frames for the Buells. I believe the frames were made here in the USA when they became EBR’s. Anyone know that frame builder?

7. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Not true, you are talking Moto2 GP. In the rest of the world there are Moto2 and Moto3, Pre-Moto3 and others. In GP Kalex is about the only one. But there are many frame and swingarm manu's in the world that make good chassis for a good price.

8. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Here’s a question. What would a top 5 Hooligans bike cost versus a top 5 Twins bike?

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Well, so far I spent... wait, you said top 5... never mind. They've got full on factory efforts going on with Indian, not sure how much KTM is involved with Dibrino, but I'm guessing none of the top 5 are cheap?

Rico888 likes this.
  10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Probably depends on which bike you start with. They still need suspension etc like any race bike but you're limited on other aspects. I would say it's cheaper to get started top10 effort you're probably marginally cheaper than twins but the field is certainly not as deep as twins talent wise

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If that is true, I really like it. We were lucky coming up during the 125 and Moriwaki era. A NSF seems to be much better than either of those and I think they are only about $14-16k now? If so, that’s about what the others were in 04-12.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  12. Boman Forklift

Just curious what does that entail? Are you welding up gaps to create more flat surface area for sealing?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  13. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

SV! The answer is always SV! I am sure you can imagine the smile on my face, seeing you post about a twins cup bike. :crackup:

I bet you will be able to pick up a nice built RS at the end of the year. May have to freshen it up. But will be way cheaper then starting from scratch.
    Honestly, if this is the route you are going to go. You just need to throw it out there and Im willing to bet some one may loan you one and possible lease one, once they find out who will be riding it.

I think this rumor is fading fast.

14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

At Laguna, One of our friends got 8th on a mostly stock Ducati Monster- I’m not up on all the models since I put the Ducati crack pipe down a few years ago, but it’s the liquid cooled one. It had some nice 3d printed parts but they were mostly limited to brackets and such. Granted she’s probably the correct weight for the stock suspension which is Ohlins. Check out the lap times.

In Parc Ferme after the race I saw an air cooled hybrid just like mine, 1198 chassis with a belly pan and handlebars and some kind of air cooled motor. That’s not legal as that’s a liquid cooled frame and there’s no allowance for frame swaps. So I don’t think they are looking too hard at the rules.

Hooligans top 5 are no joke, they are fast.

There were over 40 hooligan entries and the bottom 20 were outside the qualifying cutoff, they had the groups split and even had a “B Main” for those that didn’t qualify.

Meanwhile in Twins Cup they are telling us that even if you’re under the cutoff in practice they are getting away from provisional starts. In the past if you didn’t make it in Q1 or Q2 but were under the 110% in practice, you could start.

Just for clarity I’m not complaining, we all know what we’re getting into entering a Pro race. Personally I think it’s the sign of a healthy series when they can make things harder and still have a healthy 20+ grid.

Hooligans and baggers are annoying but damn they pay the bills! And the fans love them, they are lining up to get a closer look in the paddock.

15. Boman Forklift

I don't always watch the race, or I may just watch the start and the end, but for some reason they don't annoy me at all and I enjoy them, especially since they aren't oiling down the tracks as much as they were. Especially seeing how fast those guys are on baggers....running 600 times it seems, or close to it is very impressive to me. Now the train, ride, race, wrench class or whatever it is called, I don't watch as it always seems to be a run away. However, I'm glad Royal Enfield promotes it and gets women out into the sport.

Gino230 likes this.
  16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If I was willing to 'enthusiastically' read a similar rule I could be signed up for COTA already, with a ready to rock bike. Instead I'm trying to be by the book and it's making it take WAY longer... Seeing a couple of the SH bikes at Loudon with clearly illegal things irked me slightly, but didn't get to find out if that was an alternate setup for running with other series so... opted not to poke at it.

Gino230 likes this.
  17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm a little annoyed that the current run away leader of the class has oodles of prior racing experience, thought the whole idea was to bring NEW people into the class? On the flip side, she's getting great exposure so hopefully this is a positive step towards bigger and better for her.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

There have been a few Kramer GP2 entries in BSB Supersport

19. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

It really comes down to any age changes. I really don't want to start a ninja 400 program but it would make things more competitive at the faster tracks. We are having a ton of fun doing the endurance stuff though, outside of the 17hr drive to RRR lol. Yes if anyone has a RS he could try we will be at all the remaining N2 rounds and probably the Nelson in Sep.