1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Electric Car Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Oh, were you offended by someone wanting to lower their cost to live their life? Should every person then be offended that the industry that employs you continues to post multiple billion dollar profits yearly, and has CEOs and top executives who make north of $30 million a year?
    Just asking. Don't want a full electric but have considered a hybrid.

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I'd happily own a full electric as one of multiple cars in a household. I wouldn't want to worry about range anxiety for any long trips, but for day to day stuff, I think it would be fun to try a new technology. Realistically, it would be the perfect car for my wife, but she doesn't really care for the styling of them.

As for hybrids, the new Sequoia looks pretty damn nice and is rated at 24mpg highway 2wd or 22mpg highway 4wd. It seems like a great family rig that can tow a decent sized trailer to the track.

3. Electric vehicles have their place and are not for everyone.
    They are fast but lack soul.
    They make financial sense in if you reside in certain areas.
    They are not much of an inconvenience if your infrastructure is there to support it.
    They will do some very cool stuff not quite yet available in petrol vehicles.
    They are fast but lack soul :)

it’s up to you what’s most important as far as your driving experience.

evakat likes this.
  4. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Speaking of electric car drivers... @Phl218 is it true I just saw something about there being bigger parking spaces in Germany for women drivers? That cant be right.

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

have you looked at the hydrogen cell units? MYbe while you’re in Japan you’ll have a chance to use all the options with them...

I don’t remember what you do for them... manufacturing iirc... but the reason they didn’t embrace the full electric again when it’s all the rage is interesting

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

To be clear, are you for or against?

:D

SundaySocial likes this.
  7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I'm in KY, so there's not alot of hydrogen around here. I think they only sell the Mirai in CA, where there are some hydrogen stations. I was told the hydrogen around Japan is a little sparse as well, but that was only one guy's opinion. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it when we move there, but I'm sure I'll get a normal gas powered car just for ease of use.

My group procures molds/equipment for big plastic parts, so personally I don't touch powertrain at all. We do have a powertrain group, but I'm not too sure how much work they do with electric stuff, as I think it's led in Japan. We are building a battery manufacturing plant in NC, but I won't be doing anything with it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Battery_Manufacturing_North_Carolina

27 likes this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

sanee likes this.
  9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The article said it was a remanufactured battery.

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Should we really contribute to supporting mining by child slave labor?

Should we contribute to the global food shortage? Every metric ton of lithium mined takes 500k gallons of water to process and renders it unusable afterwards.

You hate CEOs making $30 million a year that drive decisions that affect the lives of thousands. Yet the Ravens just signed a young man to $52 million annually and all he can do is run fast and throw a football.

If the Government would stop subsidizing EVs and let the free market decide, they wouldn’t have a chance. Even with all the subsidies, I don’t think the waitress at IHOP thinks making her pay $60k for a Model 3 that her apartment won’t let her charge in a spot closer to her front door thinks an EV makes her life better or cheaper.

Gorilla George and tony 340 like this.
  11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Oh no, a company turned profits and pays employees!!!! Oh the horror!!!!

Now do Pfizer.

tony 340 likes this.
  12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Oh. And more info:

It takes more energy and resources of fossil fuels to build a windmill than that wind turbine will ever generate.

17 percent of Texas power grid is solar. That contributed to fiasco a couple winters ago where people froze to death.

And the dividends from Exxon profits sustained my sons great grandmother til the age of 90 after she became a widow. Her husband was a tanker truck driver for Exxon and took advantage of their employee stock purchase plan. Left a legacy for a few generations.

Gorilla George and tony 340 like this.
  13. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

OK, since you've already made up your mind, I won't spend too much time on this. You're stats are correct but lets look into it

Fine, 500k gallons of water for a metric ton of lithium. A compact EV battery uses about 9lbs of it. Battery packs last a whole hell of a long time, WAY more than 100k miles.

To frac ONE well, approximately 4 million gallons of water is used and never recouped. Approximately 1.7 million wells have been frac'd

And yes, I work in the Oil and Gas business domestically and overseas, specifically in downhole operations.

zertrider likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Who put the tiger in your tank? Rawr!

zertrider likes this.
  15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I picture a LOT of spittle on his keyboard

zertrider likes this.
  16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

100k miles / 5yrs shouldn't be close to needing a new battery. My 06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid went 230k and the batt was still good, and that was an older Nickel setup, not a lithium. $20k was the price for a Tesla pack a couple years ago, wouldn't surprise me to hear the bigger / newer packs cost more.

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The Texas issue was 100% their own stupidity of insisting on not interconnecting the state grid to outside grids to avoid federal regulation. Didn't matter what sources they used, could have been 100% coal with stockpiles on hand they didn't have the capacity to cover demand, and no way to adapt. Had they been interconnected it would have been a non-event.

18. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

yeah kinda curious about people that have had a battery car for a while. Also shouldnt newer get cheaper?

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Pack sizes have been increasing, batt cell production has been a bottleneck so no pressure to push prices down yet.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I like this concept.....it should be applied to all electronics, and motorcycles and cars while we're at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.