Service Fee

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 4, 2023.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

to be clear, you're saying that if you pay for a meal with a credit card, you need to also carry cash to tip the servers?

I waited tables in college. I was paid with both cc and cash. I never once expected someone to tip me in cash if they paid with a cc.

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I think I'm slowly moving towards tipping less and less, beside for at restaurants. The number of places that are asking for tips has expanded too much, and the entitlement to it needs to be addressed. Drive thru's, stuff purchased at a counter, etc... are all asking for it now, but I'm becoming numb to it. I politely give my thanks for the order, choose the no tip option and move on.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I agree, why I use the term "market wage". Not something forced by the government as a minimum, but what the market will bear. That's how I pay my employees - what their job is worth/what the going wage in the area is for that level. If they are really good at their job, they earn over so they don't go looking and leave. If they are bad workers, they get cut or make under the going wage so they look around and leave on their own.

skidooboy likes this.
  4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i have no qualms hitting that zero button. two things of recent that were the most crazy for me though...

1) this really really good coffee place has it on the prompt, there literally is NO "no tip" option showing. it shows like 18, 20, 24, 30%, and then "Other Options". so you have to click thru like 2 or 3 more clicks to get to no tip. i find that extra offensive which makes me not wanna tip them even more. then on top of that, the worker gets to sit there and watch me go thru this extra effort just to not tip them which really drives the point home and i kinda feel shitty about it. fast food burrito chains prompting tips. get fucked.

2) we have good ass pizza around, so i never order chain pizza pretty much ever any more. for some reason i had a Pizza Hut craving a month ago that i hadn't ordered in maybe 5 years. not only did the fees + tip turn it into a $30 large pizza, but on top of that, Pizza Hut outsources their delivery to Grub Hub and doesn't tell you anywhere on the screen until the order is thru. It literally took 70 minutes and was fuckin cold, for shitty chain pizza, on a pizza that started out at $16-17 before the taxes, fee, tip and ended up being $30. literally almost doubled the cost. its my own fault, i deserved it for having a moment of weakness and not just going to get it myself or get something better.

i'll tip anyone doing me a service... waiters, tattoo dudes, the dog trainer man, the cable guy, the landscaping dude, even carry-out at my most favoritest restaurants because i love the ladies that work there and i've been going for 25 years... but handing me a cup of coffee? eat shit.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I try not to get worked up about this anymore because I feel like I'm becoming the crotchety old guy

My wife is a Quebecer and when we first met I asked her Do you Tip or what? She started in on that whole Tipping is for service rant and I was like well, when you're with me, you're going to tip. What you do when you're on your own is up to you! We still laugh about it to this day- whenever that tip screen comes up she just turns it towards me. She used to hand me the CC slip whenever she was paying, but those have mostly gone away.

A few months ago, her parents were here and her dad was at the Swap Shop (flea market) and started negotiating over a $6 cell phone case. The Vietnamese vendor asked him "are you from Canada?" He got all excited and said "yes! Do you know it?" The guy was like "just get out" :crackup:

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I generally do just in case the establishment pools all server tips and splits them up equally at the end of the shift.

Yzasserina likes this.
  7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I am also down for getting rid of tips.

It is always awkward when I have people out of the country come over and have to explain their bill is actually 20% higher due to the tip the are "supposed" to add.

As far as the flip over screens, if I have to walk to the counter to order my food I dont tip.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Exactly. So, now your memory of the place is about how bad it makes you feel, so you're less inclined to want to shop there.

Sweatypants likes this.
  10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I always leave the tip in cash. If they choose not to pay taxes on it, they make more money. Wife says I tip too much. I don’t follow the bullshit 15% rule.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

15% went out with Bell bottoms, mood rings and Jefferson airplane, Hairy Garcia. :D

20% on meals and tipping the bartender is the old norm but even now some expect more like 25% and up. Funk that shit man!

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Its been super nice traveling out of the USA and not being subjected to the tipping culture. Some countries do, however, automatically add a 10% service charge to their bills. Bali adds 21-26% to all bills depending on the area of the island (taxes and service charge).

I concur that the whole thing is out of control. I got my 15 year old niece a job as a busser in an Italian restaurant in Red Lodge summer before last. She had zero experience working any job. She worked all summer and made an average of about $35 an hour with her share of the pooled tips. I think that's great for her, but fairly bizarre overall.

Razr likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Americans Face Record-High Tipflation

"
    share of remote transactions that offer tipping has jumped from 43.4% in February 2020 to 74.5% just three years later. This means that more businesses are asking customers to tip after making a purchase....

businesses are also able to adjust the amount that customers are prompted to tip. For example, instead of listing tip options of 15%, 20%, and 25%, businesses can scale them upward to 20%, 25%, and 30%...

As always, it’s important to practice polite tipping habits. But as tipflation intensifies, feel free to push back on pressure and draw a clear line when you’ve reached your tipping point.
    "

https://www.sofi.com/article/money-life/americans-face-record-high-tipflation/

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Service fees are no joke. Visa/MC/Amex, they take up to 6% of a transaction + a per transaction fee.

Square recently said that if a business issues a refund they are not refunding the per transaction fee, e.g. a business refunds a purchase, the business will not receive their entire money back from the processor that they refunded in entirety to the customer

15. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

guess you forgot this little gem of a statement? Ski

16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Forgive my poor word choice, as stated elsewhere here, market, reasonable, or prevailing wage should be the term. pay people based on their performance, of the job at hand. there are entry level jobs, and wages but, those wages should increase, the more production, and value, you bring to the workplace. sadly, in food service, that doesnt happen often enough.

with current inflation, it is almost to the point where most cant afford McDonald's. subway for example... 10-11 bucks for a chicken wrap (REALLY??). McD's big mac meal 9-10 bucks (AGAIN... REALLY??). mark my words, unless there is a drastic turn around, fast food places are going to limit menu's, or be gone from our society altogether. why would you pay upwards of 10 bucks for cold fries, burgers or chicken, that do not even come close to representing the pictures on the menu? :D

Might as well go to a sit down restaurant, and get a nice meal for a similar price, (plus tip)... which is really, more of a value. Ski

brex and Funkm05 like this.
  17. rpj

rpj Member

This is from Canada, so make of it what you will. I was looking to buy an electric/hydraulic power pack for a tube bender yesterday. It was $1500+ CDN. The online checkout screen had a default option for "Tipping our production staff. 5%, 10% 15% or 0%". They are a vendor for that product but do produce some other parts.

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

When we first travelled to Europe, we were told that we don't have to tip. That said, it seems like more and more restaurants are allowing it as an option over there now. It almost seemed expected in Switzerland.

My first trip to Japan, I went to a nice restaurant by myself. I didn't speak Japanese and they didn't speak English, but they put in a lot of effort to work around that. Anyhow, after a couple bottles of sake I felt happy/generous and left a tip, even though I was told not to before going over there. The server ended up chasing me down, 2 blocks away in the rain to give the tip money back to me. I guess in their culture it's seen as offensive to give a tip, as it implies they can't take care of themselves without your money.

BigBird and motion like this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I tried tipping my Careem (like Uber) drivers in Pakistan and they always wanted to add the money to my "wallet" in the app, for future rides. I explained that the money was for them (we're talking 50-70% tips that amount to $2 USD) and they were always completely confused. I felt guilty getting 45 minute rides in a new car for $4 USD, when gas was $4 a gallon. I don't feel guilty at all not tipping Starbucks baristas for pouring my $3 coffee from a giant urn.

cBJr and BigBird like this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Uhh. Who said anything about the rate of pay that formerly tipped employees would receive?

Cuz it sure wasn’t me.