Service Fee

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 4, 2023.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Apple Jacks.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying I want it to go away just that it could. I know people that have been doing it their whole life also and have made a good living. Now most of them have switched to jobs that are salary and they are much more relaxed now but that's not really the point.
    The ones that piss me off is Starbucks are those places that they hand you the tablet to tip now. Starbucks can afford to pay the employees enough to where they don't need tips.

tony 340 and R1Racer99 like this.
  3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

McDonald's survives paying market wage, so can any "service" restaurant.

I get great service abroad, where tipping is mocked.

skidooboy likes this.
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I go out to eat because I'm not at home enough to cook.

5. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Or $40 plus for parking :confused:

6. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Excuse me sir, you want to fly to Hawai'i ... and you want to take your clothes with you!? $70 please.

Oh! You wife wants her clothes too? and the kids?

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I've managed both kinds of restaurants and I heartily disagree. Totally different jobs.
    We don't live abroad.
    Tipping weeds out the bad servers, they will quit eventually if they suck and thus get crappy tips.

tony 340 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

This does not help the bottom line .

Hi Gary,

As a reminder, there will be an upcoming changes to Square’s refund policy, as well as updates to Square’s terms of service, all of which will be effective as of April 11, 2023.

Processing fees will no longer be refunded to your account when you issue full or partial refunds to your customers.

9. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I haven't had to look into processing fees for some time, but when I did, it involved a fixed fee for each transaction plus a percentage of the transaction.
    When I was modeling it out for a company that was doing a lot of cash transactions in the $10 price range, I modeled in the conversion to credit/debit and the resulting reduction in cash handling fees (armored car pickup) as well as a reduction in internal theft and a percentage of transactions disputed. It actually worked out that the company would make more money by adopting credit/debit.

10. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Phone bill, cable bill etc are full of extra charges, service fees and don't get me started on all the taxes.
    Our Sherwin Williams bill had a 4% surcharge during covid.
    Many theme parks have surcharges since covid as well.

I get tipped occassionally and I'm generally way overpaid anyway so the idea of tipping has definitely spread pretty widely to include not just cash tips but gifts for lawn guys, trash guys, aestheticians and others making a " living wage "
    I'm not against it, having worked in both types of restaurant in school and seeing the difference in most employees service.
    I tip everybody I can, not so much to insure good service but to reward it.
    The weirdest tip custom I heard was from safari hunters bringing and leaving behind clothes to the guides.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Tipping your landlord is trying to get traction…that’s insane!

R1Racer99 likes this.
  12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Wait, wut???

Tell me more!!! :D

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It was on the TV news the other day. This landlord claims all of his clients tip him 20% per month to guarantee that he will be there if any problems arise with their rental unit. He said the rent cost only pays for the building, but the tip gets him there quickly for repairs. This was on the east coast.

14. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

no one is saying leave them at their current, at or below minimum wage salary. Many areas of the country allow hourly wages for these people, below the minimum wage. which is just plain stupid, in my opinion.

like the rest of the world, give them a living wage, and get rid of tips to make up the difference. then you are tipping on merit, vs feeling sorry for them for their wage, and job (and looking at their provided service to you). and tipping for poor service anyway.

example, Canada... living wage= low or no tips from the locals. when tourists from the states come, it is a 20% tip, and increase in their wages (servers love it). the reverse is true, bring a canuck to florida, they barely or wont tip at all, and are stigmatized as poor tippers (and the servers hate them).

get rid of the tips, to make up for a poor wage structure. Ski

brex, Yzasserina and dtalbott like this.
  15. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Hell... I just got a invoice for some concrete work/delivery...
    There was a diesel fuel surcharge added to the invoice!?!?!

16. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Better management weeds out all bad employees.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

There’s probably some environmental charges on there also

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Where did I say anything regarding what you wrote a synopsis of War and Peace about?

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Haven’t seen labor laws lately, have you?

tony 340 likes this.
  20. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Define “living wage”. A reasonable amount that one *could* get by on? Sure. An amount large enough to live in the lifestyle most believe they should be entitled to? Go pound sand. No one could ever afford a McDonald’s meal again.

YamahaRick and R1Racer99 like this.