1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2023 | Race 1 | Portimão | Portugal | Mar 26

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 20, 2023.

1. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Jorge Martin's leg dangle into T1 is hilarious! Little leg just flopping in the breeze.

What a race. Jack was on the GAS! Would have liked to see him on the box

Phl218 likes this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yeah i was rooting for him the most

3. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

No love lost with the Beast passing Bagnaia then getting a little sheisty one back. Sucks for Beast.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Broken scapula for the beast. Tough start to the year for a few people

5. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Damn that sucks for him. I'm curious to the how the results line up in the feature length race vs today. It was nice to see loads of passing and close racing in MotoGP. Normally there's not that much action after the first 2 laps.

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

That’s because they can go 100% because they don’t have to worry about fuel or tires lasting like they do in a full race distance

BigBird likes this.
  7. lopitt85

And I loved it

Phl218 likes this.
  8. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Until more guys get injured in that mayhem. First weekend of the season and two expected front runners are down and out and most likely have no chance at the championship now.

galloway840 and Phl218 like this.
  9. lopitt85

I can understand the tendency to blame it on the sprint race, but there have been massive wipeouts from bar banging every year that I've been watching MotoGP (2016). Sometimes there are injuries and sometimes not. I don't think we'll see more crashes and injuries that we normally see in in MotoGP/WSBK when compared to the total # of races...and I'm hoping that turns out to be true. But it was 12 laps of excitement to be sure.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  10. noles19

the riders are blaming it on the sprints. they have had safety meetings and are having another friday

11. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

With level the riders and the bikes are these days I don’t think sprint races are the best idea. The risk reward just doesn’t balance out for me. Really hope these don’t turn into a bloodbath as they go on.

12. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

:stupid: a thriller of a sprint race and we will need a new thread to identify these sprints too:D

13. noles19

They need to slow the bikes down

14. lopitt85

Would you say that for MotoGP in particular? I ask because though they are more powerful and are prototype bikes, their times aren't thaaaat far off from WSBK times at the same tracks.

I really like the multiple races in the same wknd. What if they did two feature length races, similar to WSBK but minus the sprint? Did I mention that I really like 2 races per weekend? I think they should/will give it more than one wknd before they talk about nixing it.

15. rwdfun

rwdfun

So you’re saying they should all be on Hondas?

mglax13, BigBird and MachineR1 like this.
  16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Great for the spectacle but I suspect sprints will ruin more than a few rider's seasons

Gino230 and galloway840 like this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Any race will do that, so has practice and qualifying.

rd400racer and Phl218 like this.
  18. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Yeah but it's never the guy that makes the mistake that gets hurt. I dig it but the crashes per lap will be way higher in the sprints

Phl218 likes this.
  19. lopitt85

I think they will adjust, like the professionals they are, and meter their aggression. Well get exciting races and they won't crash any more than usual.

kirk erlinger and BigBird like this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There are lots fewer collisions between riders and practice and qualifying.