Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I am curious how much of a difference the 300 would have made for me. Beta has demo days coming here in a month or so and I'm going to try and test one out there.

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Yeah another buddy of ours and I are considering travelling to a Beta demo day to see how we like the various bikes. I think it's cool to be able to swap bikes with similar chassis, yet different engines to find that right fit for your wants/needs.

If you end up wanting to sell your 200, let me know and I'll pass it along to that same friend. He has a KTM 200 now that he's wanting to replace with something newer and with an easy button.

3. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Beta has done demos at Lorettas Spring/Fall ride in the past, possibly again this year.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Nifty bike but most complain about the "seat" being uncomfortable. The solution for that is to stand...lol

5. TurboBlew

Dang... Croom is cool but you should have stopped by St Marys Shoals on your way out of FL. Everyone thats ridden it says its the best single track in FL as it has everything except jumps.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Finally got to ride my new husky last weekend and yowzers this thing rips haha! The power is super smooth so it’s sneaky fast but much easier to ride than I imagined. The suspension is nuts too. Insanely plush compared to my old TX that had a bit of work done on the suspension. I do have a bladder conversion on the shock but otherwise it’s stock for now. Still need to do a little more dialing in but out of the box it’s damn good.
    IMG_9321.jpeg

MELK-MAN and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

450 4 stroke is the wrong bike for technical terrain, you just picked the wrong weapon, to do battle. many, many guys buy their first woods bike and think "I ride X bike on the street, or the mx track, I NEED a 450". most of them end up being sold, due to the bike being way too much in tight or technical terrain.

I personally love a 250f 4 stroke for woods riding/racing. not sure I could go back to a 2 stroke. Ski

MELK-MAN and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  9. skidooboy

Nice bike, understand adding a bladder to a shock just makes it easier to service. it doesnt really give it any more, or better performance. it is done for suspension guys, to make it easy on them. Ski

10. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah I've never tried one but was told it would help the shock feel a bit more plush. Normally I would have ridden it totally stock but I was building the bike for our magazine and we recently started selling SDI suspension parts so I tossed it on. I expected to want to do a spring conversion to the forks but I'm super impressed so far with them stock. After I race it next weekend I'll be able to give a more thorough impression too.

11. skidooboy

Kreft Moto for the win... they only work on WP stuff. they have the air fork system with revalve control DIALED! have it on both my xcf250f's. Ski

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I bought my 350 with a Rekluse the previous owner installed. I grenaded the top end (plastic oil pump gear broke) and asked the mechanic to replace with a standard clutch because I hate the engagement/feel of a Rekluse (hoping to get it back soon and will report back on the difference).

Maybe if I was riding more technical stuff I’d like it, but I’m not and prefer a standard clutch feel.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Maybe but KTM World with Paul and Barry have KTM suspension dialed. Plus you can ride their 1000 acres of Georgia mountain trails to sort it out. Highland Park Resort in Cedartown GA FTW

14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Adding a bladder reduces stiction in the shock as it removes sealing rings and a IFP and trades it for a bladder.
    Believe me, you can feel a difference in Compliance.

I’m really happy with my AER fork also, after I put a K-tech spring kit in it and just a little work to the compression stack…
    The spring kit really improves compliance and allows the fork to respond better.

skidooboy and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. TurboBlew

Interesting to know... as a prev Kreft customer.

16. Slick-101

Slick-101 Well-Known Member

I went to a Beta demo day a few years back it was a seriously fun day. It was in WV, was sparsely attended, so I literally jumped on a bike, rode the 3 mile woods loop, and then hopped on another. I rode every freaking bike in the hauler. Was literally like being a kid NOT in a candy store, but in Santa's freaking work shop. If you do have a chance to hit a demo day, it's worth it. Hell, it was FREE. As for the topic at hand, for what I ride it's two stroke all the way here. But we are doing slow, tight stuff not GNCC terrain so it's really just picking the right bike for what you will ride most often. I'm on a YZ 125X and I love it. :)

17. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I have both '06 YZ125 and YZ250 two-strokes that I haven't ridden for quite a while due to a wide variety of health issues. I WILL be getting back on a small bore two stroke whenever I am fully recovered from Monday's surgery, but I have come to realize and accepted that I need the magic e-start button. I will be buying something new, and as this will be my first non-Yamaha, (or other Japanese brand.) I have settled on the Husky 150, as it sits lower oem, than the PDS rear suspension of the KTM. I will also be shortening the suspension travel by a suspension pro and will be searching for the best one I can locate nearby in the greater North Atlanta suburbs. I will absolutely consider Paul and Barry at KTM World, even though I have not been there, as of yet. I also am willing to spend whatever money necessary to overcome the issues I have heard and read plenty about with the TPI fuel-injection issues, and really am looking forward to having the oil injection system that comes on the current generation of bikes.

I do a lot of business with both Gainesville Motorsports and Bobby Wooldridge at Wooly's, but from talking with other KTM/Husky riding friends, I will be searching for a dealership that will sell me a bike already titled by the dealership, even if this means traveling out of state to wherever a dealer is able and willing to accomplish this for me. I will be happy to pay them to install all of the OEM and aftermarket turn-signal, brake light, horn, and anything else required to allow for the mike to be delivered with a title. My bike riding daughter and her husband are TN residents, if that helps me any.

Please feel free to offer your suggestions, as I would be ready to place a deposit on a new Husky or KTM almost immediately, with the assurances that my requirements would be met. Thank you in advance, for your constructive suggestions for me, y'all! Ken

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

How's engine reliability on them nowadays?

I rode a buddies CRF250F? many years ago and hated it in the woods. I think it was setup for MX though. At the time, I strongly preferred my KTM200 smoker. I only switched over to 4 strokes so I could do more dual sporting/supermoto.

19. skidooboy

my 2017 ktm xcf250 has well over 200 hours on it, and knock on wood, no motor or trans issues. the last 40 or so, are with a 270bb kit, that has been flawless. my 2020 has less than 50 hours on it but, again... no issues. you can take an mx bike to the woods but, having an xc/xcf bike, that is made for it, with wide ratio 6 spd trans, 18" rear wheel, and suspension for woods riding, which is softer and more compliant, and a larger fuel tank... is waaaay different than trying to "get by" with an mx bike. Ski

20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

as ski said above, very reliable. I have sold a couple of 2018 250xcf ktm's with 600 hrs on the clock. 1 crank done at 300hrs just for safety, but they could have gone longer, pistons done every 120 hrs or so (cracked the top 3 times when i went over 120 hrs). Sold a 2016 350xcf ktm with 375 hours, ORIGINAL crank, piston done at 275 hours, guy still rides it.
    the plane bearing cranks are nice, way more reliable than roller bearing cranks, and the Del West valves KTM uses are stellar. NEVER adjusted valves on any of these bikes. unreal, considering my 2004 and 2008 honda 450's had to be adjusted at 100 hrs like clockwork, and then were junk soon after as the coating wore off valves, had same issue when switched to steel intake valve kit, just lasted a bit longer.. I hear good things from newer yamaha stuff too. Even honda after 2009 changed stuff up and i don't hear of horrible valve issues like the 2002-2008 series bikes.

cBJr likes this.