1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Agreed with the reasoning 100%.
    It's why Gigi wears the BBS-es that she does...just like the Carrera S-es, no? :Poke: :crackup:

I want to get rid of the OEM chrome 5-spokers on the 'Vette in a bad way. Easy to clean, but I despise chrome. Very little to fit the 'Vette in the way of aftermarket wheels that aren't all nooks-n-crannies of stupid, ooh, look at me. Between that, the Corvette tax, odd bolt pattern and BBS not making anything for 'Vettes, I literally have to settle for shit I'll tolerate, have them custom machine the bolt pattern, or pony up the 'Vette tax for wheels in sizes from the Z-series 'Vettes that I don't want. :rolleyes:

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. :crackup:

Hell that’s about the only thing that could make them shits worse, if they were white.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Why not just strip and powder coat the stockers?

4. :stupid:

5. fastfreddie

Considered, but not researched locally. I could send them out but that's the last thing I want to do with the only wheels I have for the vehicle. Another issue is a slight, but negligible, bend in one of the rims. Still another issue is that 'Vette wheels are shit to begin with...I'd rather not waste resources polishing turds.

6. Venom51

But you bought a Vette so clearly you don't believe that. :D

7. fastfreddie

It wasn't bought for its wheels, and I've never polished it. ;)

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Isn't your vette an old enough one that you should be able to find used stock wheels at a reasonable price? I don't remember the years that well but I thought it was a C5 and I think those are from the early 2000's?

9. fastfreddie

C6...2008. Um, yeah, those OEM wheels, used, command a high price, like beyond stupidly high price.

I've tried to find C5 wheels but not C7 wheels. The difference between the generations is mainly diameter. I have no need/desire to roll the 19/20, f/r wheels from the C7, but I'm okay with 17/18, f/r from the C5 or 18/19, f/r from the C6.
    The real issue develops when I try to account for variances in the offsets and widths between generations to get the desired stance while keeping the same wheel pattern...it's nearly impossible without spending over $1000 a wheel and, in some cases, the Corvette tax drives it into Porsche territory where the set would be over $10K. Fuck that...it's a daily driver.

The one wheel, Cray's Spider, that I've found to fit the specs I've determined for wider rubber, proper offset, clearance, etc. isn't too bad, but I was hoping to find something with softer contours. They're $2150/set, making them the cheapest option I'm willing to put faith in. Cray seems legit but I haven't checked into them too deeply. By legit, I mean the level of quality. IIRC, they do nothing but wheels for Corvettes. These are flow formed aluminum. No way I would spend $2K on cast wheels, which is what I'd expect to get with OEM wheels.
    th.jpeg

Why the need/interest now?
    "BB", the 'Vette, needs new shoes. I'm skating all over the road with the worn Michelin Pilot Sports and need to replace them sooner rather than later.
    Haven't made up my mind whether I want PS4s or PS4Ss. The PS4s do better than expected in snow. From what I've heard, the PS4Ss don't do snow at all. They're both Summer tires, Max and Ultra High Performance, respectively.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  10. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

11. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

try forgestar? i have the ctsv wheels custom offset for the 335 rears.

12. fastfreddie

The one Forgestar wheel that interests me, upon closer inspection, has the spokes extending beyond the rim's axial dimension where they intersect the rim. I don't want to have to be conscious of that every time I get near a curb.
    I appreciate the input. Thanks.

13. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

So would American Racing rims..

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

If you're buying new rims just pony up and get fully forged ones. The flow formed are some what better than cast but still more failure prone. My GS wears 19x10 and 20x12 cast stockers. They are failures just waiting to happen. Fully forged in the stock sizes will run 4 to 7 grand depending. You can get smaller sizes quite a bit cheaper. It's a pain in the ass but the vendors are all over the corvette forum website as I'm sure you know.

15. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Thixoforming is where it's at.

16. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

The point of the crest points towards the valve stem?

17. Venom51

Yep...a little Porsche trivia.

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

The wife and I enlarged the photo of Chris' new ride and blacked out the yellow on the calipers.
    Just wow! I really like those black. Not my toy however sooo...;)

19. Wellillbedamned. I’da never noticed that in a million years.

Who thinks of stuff like that?

20. I played with it too and experimented with black, red, and even blue.

It looked good in all of them. There wasn’t one version where I thought the car looked shitty.

Sabre699 likes this.