MotoAmerica - Road America - 2022

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, May 23, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Team owners never know what is going on inside their engines unless they are also the one building all their engines. The vast majority of riders/teams out there who have had work done have trusted the person building it to do the work properly to the rules. An owner/builder is the rare thing, not the ignorance of what has been done. That is the norm.

Scott S. likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would you need/want a bulletin about one specific dq? As for releasing every detail about dq's it really does absolutely nothing but continue the bullshit even more than the speculation does. BTDT at all different levels of racing. The bike wasn't legal, it was found out by tech, it was dq'd. Nothing more needs to be said or done, tech did their job. The rulebook is out there and doesn't need to be clarified for these things in any way.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is a rulebook. Follow the rulebook. All of the rulebook. That covers any and all mistakes.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm seeing the same thing more and more at our stuff too - riders are showing up thinking that we run things and rules are the same as wherever they raced before. Also getting more and more simple questions in person and online that are easily answered by reading the rules, seems like less people want to do that these days.

long path/road and Yama-saurus like this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's completely ass-backwards. Transparency is the best way to kill speculation and BS.

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Never met the guy. Never alleged any sexual assault. I don't feel unhappy about the issue. I certainly don't feel seriously unhappy about it. Just curious and asking questions, which, for the most part, were answered by others who raced in the class. No issue with MA, either. If anything, I'd say I'd like some more transparency on issues like this and think it would alleviate some of the confusion, but that's about it.

When Hayes got the DQ at Daytona, we knew why. When Mladin got the DQ at VIR, we knew why. In fact, there are searchable releases on RRW issued by WERA where you are quoted regarding DQs during the endurance series and citing the exact rule that was violated, offering clarification as to exactly what the nature of the DQs were, and you even go so far to address the issue of intent. So, at some point, you saw the value in addressing exactly what I'm saying, even if you don't agree with it now.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. metricdevilmoto

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not in racing it isn't. As soon as you release specifics of a teardown all of the same supposed experts will them pick it apart along with other experts joining in. I'm not joking about BTDT.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

^ Blast from the past, I actually remember that situation. And all the butthurt...

11. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Oh none of them have 2 sets of wheels?? Also don't they all make their own decisions on tires? Since there was a fair amount of time from the time the track was dry to their race, I would've figured at least a few of them would run over to Dunlop to change out their tires.

12. metricdevilmoto

And you offered transparency regardless in the face of that adversity. ;)

13. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Subletting is always a leap of blind faith. Keeping all work in house works best. Finding key knowledgeable people is a real challenge. Always has been.

14. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And it didn't matter. It didn't cause just as much if not more whining.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally agree, and even then known wrenches to play games a little too close to the edge and get busted without the team owner or even rider knowing about it. They usually aren't working there the next day.

17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I figured they* were just going by the old adage "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't trying"!

*speaking generally

18. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

They were supposed to go at noon. Harley oiled the track. They were supposed to go at 1:30, then it got moved again. If they would have known Moto America was going to move them until the end of the day from the get - go it would not have been an issue. They literally had bikes off the stands 2 or 3 times and then Moto America told them NOPE you aren't going out yet. Those damn Harleys should have went at the end of the day for basically causing 5 hours of down time Sunday morning / early afternoon but I'm sure they bring way more money to the table for the series than Royal Enfield. Basically the girls got screwed with how it all played out.

sbk1198 and Nathey like this.
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

True, although I think far more team owners know what’s going on with their engine program than do not. At the same time a responsible owner should be involved and make themselves available to be informed. At the very least a responsible owner should explicitly state to the engine builder to build to legal spec. An owner being willfully ignorant of this is just plain stupid on their part - Any owner who avoids being involved is setting themselves up for failures.
    In the end Brian is still responsible and should be held accountable, regardless. Tough way to learn a very basic lesson.

long path/road likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There's a long list of people on here turning themselves into martyrs and making federal cases out of not seeing a list of who gets banned and inventing legends of untouchable people whenever get a ban.

You're trying to tell me that those same people get to the racetrack and just accept "we took care of it, you don't need to concern yourself with what happened" when they have actual money on the line (even if just entry fees, tires and gas)? I ain't saying your reality didn't happen, but I wish I could the statistics on that.

On this point, I go back to "the talk" that needs to happen before the season. If, as a team owner, you're not having that talk with your engine builder, then you are either negligent or tacitly complicit. It's too easy to tell yourself that it was done about your knowledge when in reality, you didn't want to know in the first place.

My statement ^ is about how things should happen in general, not at all about the particulars of this situation.