1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica - Road America - 2022

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, May 23, 2022.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I don't think they've had intermediates since the 90s with the K364. Were the rain tires chunking or just wearing quickly? I don't think intermediates are really needed since tire technology has improved over the last 25 years.

2. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Speaking of only the Ninja 400:

I get the part availability issue is huge and will only get worse. However, a simple internet search, used Ninja's can be found easily. I got two theft recovery with hardly 1000 miles on them. (and for pennies especially in regards to a established teams race budget) So the whole cylinder re-plating would be a huge no - no in my simple mind and wouldn't even justify doing it if contesting MotoA.

This goes to a point that fell on deaf years a couple months ago as we first started down this rabbit hole. If I can't use a uncracked engine with less than 1000 miles (or even a engine directly off the showroom floor) and NOT be on equal footing with the rest of the teams (engine performance) that are sending their engines to a top four builder (to do magical things) then what is the point of contesting the series?

Per rules and intent of the series a uncracked engine SHOULD be competitive. (My Interpretation)

Yes, I know I'm setting myself up for another flame job, but I truly think this is a legitimate question.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Do you see the words stock or superstock in the motoamerica Jr cup series name?
    If not how is it a legit question?

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

perhaps you should start your own series... have Ivory Snow as the title sponsor.
    Write up a rule where "uncracked" or scrap yard engines must be used. Because focusing on made up stories or handicaps helps so much.

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

There is never a situation where a used engine with no back story history should be competitive with a fresh professionally built engine.

even 1000 street miles can be pretty damn abused.

stk0308, YamRZ350, RRP and 1 other person like this.
  6. FastByKids

“We want it to be a low-cost, step-in class that kids can come and race and families can be a part of the championship. We can see the talent and where it goes from there."

Hmm, I wonder who said that?

Engine Configurations:
    4-stroke, 1- or 2-cylinder
    45 Horsepower

Minimum Weight:
    302 pounds

I'm slowly browsing through the rule book and thus far all I see are rev limits and ECU requirements. Nothing about engine modifications...

7. FastByKids

Why? I like the rules of MotoA. I'm reading quite a bit of the following verbiage:

must be the originally
    original homologated
    without any modification
    must be stock and unaltered from the original specification and manufacture
    must remain as originally produced by the manufacturer
    cannot be added if they are not present on the homologated motorcycle

Must be the originally fitted and homologated parts with no modification allowed
    Kawasaki Ninja 400 10,350 rpm

So per the rules / written in black and white a showroom floor engine should be competitive / equal to any other engine on the Grid.

But I wonder why it wouldn't be? Hmm

8. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Ok at this point I have to assume you're just messing with all of us now lol.

Gino230 and noles19 like this.
  9. FastByKids

Yes, but parts can be used after a inspection. Instead of honing a cylinder. Do you agree?

10. FastByKids

The rules are pretty much easy to interpret, even for me.

2.9.8.5 Cylinders a. Must be the originally fitted and homologated parts with no modification allowed.

2.9.8.6 Pistons a. Must be the originally fitted and homologated parts with no modification allowed.

2.9.8.7 Piston rings a. Must be the originally fitted and homologated parts with no modification allowed. b. All piston rings must be fitted.

2.9.8.8 Piston pins and clips a. Must be the originally fitted and homologated parts with no modification allowed.

Page 137 of 191 2.9.8.9 Connecting rods a. Must be the originally fitted and homologated parts with no modification allowed.

2.9.8.10 Crankshaft a. Must be the originally fitted and homologated parts with no modification allowed.

2.9.8.11 Crankcase / Gearbox housing a. Must be the originally fitted and homologated parts with no modification allowed.

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I don’t know any engine builders that would be reusing pistons/rings once the engine is apart. Or bearings/ other wear items.

12. FastByKids

I get that. Come on man!

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

So what can be done legally to an engine in Supercup?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    FastByKids likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the rules state $350 to disassemble an engine or gearbox that you seem to be positive of build schenanigans.

or worry about all the basics first like "free hp" stuff. Its alot less expensive than $350.

15. FastByKids

Appears MotoA has cracked the whip the past few rounds. Had nothing to do with anyone paying $350 to protest.

I see you keep TRYING to nip at my ankles, however you have failed to answer the question posed.

WHY WOULDN'T A SHOWROOM STOCK ENGINE BE COMPETITIVE? In "theory" per the rules a brand new showroom engine should plug into any MotoA prep'd bike and be at or near identical performance levels. Correct?

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Who’s unequivocally stating that an OEM, directly off the showroom floor, motor would not be competitive or near identical in performance levels?
    I would wager, they are closer than you might think.

17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Maybe I've misinterpreted his several month long diatribe on the topic, but I think he is (has been) the one asserting that an OEM motor won't be competitive against the alleged (however round about the allegation) built motors by the 5-6 front runners.

Again - my interpretation - but I believe this has been his default for why he won't/can't run MA as his kids are doomed to lose.

EDIT - He has never "unequivocally" made the assertions/allegations I mentioned, just made what my Dad always called "left handed accusations".

Boman Forklift and G 97 like this.
  18. FastByKids

Not a topic for the boards.

"Close" might equal 4-8 spots further from a podium. (opinion)

G 97 likes this.
  19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

That and he seems to be unable to get his head around that a fast trap speed doesn’t necessarily equate to a fast lap time.

pickled egg likes this.
  20. FastByKids

Throw your stones all you want.

It's of my opinion (based on some very good sources) that it takes VERY good engine builders to achieve maximum potential. I'm just not willing to crack a engine and do that kind of spend.

Funny how when these conversations started MotA started looking into things. But I bet that is just a coincidence...