1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2022 MA Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

That was my point ;). Instead of moving it to Sunday, they could have saved the trouble of moving it and just planned it for Sunday… :crackup:

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

They should make the Harley’s and Indians run in the rain. LOL

Trainwreck, Gixxerguy855 and cav115 like this.
  3. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

No rain tires at Daytona this year.

4. rwdfun

rwdfun

Are they going to have the NASCAR jet dryers available?

5. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

no. Those travel with the series. They are pretty cool to watch. They do a killer job with water.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Hey Frank,
    When was the last time rains were allowed at AMA Daytona? I can’t recall. I do remember 96 was a cluster with rain and Dunlop not having a good rain tire compared to Michelin and all the factory 600SS teams were caught out and Dunlop was complaining. Then there was another rain out a year or two later. It’s all a blur at this point.

7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

the Pirelli dot rain tire ordeal was in there somewhere too...

G 97 likes this.
  8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

600 Supersport required DOT tires for many years and Pirelli with the MT60 were just that, DOT approved.

G 97 likes this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah now I remember. The DOT Michelins were way better in the rain than the Dunlops so the AMA basically cancelled the race and postponed it then permitted rains to be used. Saving Dunlop and the factory teams the embarrassment of being beat by the non factory teams. I do know that was in 1996. IIRC. Long time ago anyway. LOL

969 likes this.
  10. No, they are at Daytona. I saw them on Monday while the air bags were going up.

11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Garth sure spells Pirelli oddly... can you help him with that Jeff?

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh no, I know. Just the team I was with at the time ran Michelins and that’s the only thing I have direct experience with. I’m trying to find the timing sheets. I know there were more teams running Michelins than Ps at the time as well, so that’s what sticks out directly to me, not meaning to say that Pirelli wasn’t a factor. Just that I didn’t have any direct experience with them. Etc. :)

13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

the Dunlop 364 dot was way better than the Michelin Hi Sport dot in the rain for sure too

if you actually meant the D vs M and not the P

G 97 likes this.
  14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

cool, I was on M then too, if it rained the D364 kicked all M asses... when they ended the 364 a bunch of guys kept a set for rains in Dot classes like SS in Wera

I wasn’t on P but remember the Daytona dot rain ass kicking the factory teams got. Jeff has talked about it a bit in years gone by

G 97 likes this.
  15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The D364 was first a intermediate rain then they modified it to be DOT approved. Then Metzeler was there with the MEZ1 race, Pirelli had the Dragon Corsa, and Michelin had the TX25s if I remember correctly.

G 97 likes this.
  16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah I’m trying to find some timing sheets, I can’t remember when the 364s came out. I don’t remember them in 96 but then again it was a long time ago. And multiple concussions. LOL. I do vividly remember the factory Dunlop teams and riders in the riders meeting being all up in arms though and not wanting to race in the rain. Fun times LOL

Bburns912 likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

IIRC there was also some controversy in how Dunlop got them DOT approved. Almost like they had a pre approval to use the DOT stamp and simply went ahead and placed DOT on them without any actually direct approval,but more of a blanket approved. It seams like there was something a bit shady about it at the time. Getting old sux.

18. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Too cool, was going thru stuff in the rafters at the old race shop this past weekend and found old Honda Hawk rear wheel with a nicely blue/purpled 364 still on it.
    Granite hard of course, but brought back some memories of the olde 364.

19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

when I started the 364 was the standard dot from D at Wera events. The Daytona dot P rain ordeal was a few years after that iirc.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    G 97 likes this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Well at the raining CCS races the weekend before MT60s basically won every DOT tire race, so Team Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc. saw the writing on the wall. Then the AMA guy (named withheld to protect the guilty) came over to me and said Jeff we don't think the MT60s are legal because they aren't readily available. So I grab the new Parts Unlimited catalog and hand it to him where he sees the "new for 96" MT60 Pirellis clearly listed, and that was that.