School me on trailer tires

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Guaranteed flat. :D

I'd be willing to bet that delaminations are more to do with negligence...people can't be bothered to check pressures or they run inappropriate pressures for the load. Hitting obstacles isn't necessarily a fault of the operator nor resulting damage a fault of the tire.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    ducnut likes this.
  2. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

I always step up the load rating when I replace them. If you are operating at a smaller percentage of the load rating, they will last longer.
    The biggest difference between trailer tires is that they are designed to be more UV resistant, and “sit resistant” (IE be parked for long periods of time).
    Tread separations is the first sign they have exceeded their “best by” date.
    Plus one for steel stems.

RRP likes this.
  3. karls

karls Well-Known Member

Bringing up an old thread to ask about another tire option. I have installed Maxxis 8008 on the trailer I used for the bike/track, recently had a tire failure on my RV and am looking at replacing all 4 tires. They are a 225-75R15 and recommend an E load range. I was interested in bumping up to an F or G load range for a little extra safety. I am having difficulty finding that tire size in a F or G load range, one that I did find is Transeagle ST Radial. They are available on Amazon, Priority Tire, Simple Tire and have great reviews. Anyone with experience or information on these tires?

4. karls

karls Well-Known Member

A call to Discount Tire and they can order a Carlisle CSL 16 with an F load range, another option but more$$. Any thoughts on this tire as well?

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What kind of RV and what's its GVWR?

6. karls

karls Well-Known Member

Keystone Outback, 5th wheel, 7,420

7. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I bought an 18ft Forest River toy hauler (single-axle) this winter. On the very first trip (loaded with about 1,000 lbs of bikes), I had a blowout only 2 hours in going 65 mpg. The night before, I made sure the tires were inflated to the max cold pressure (65 psi), but the chinese OE tire still exploded.

As soon as I got back, I put Maxxis M8008 10 ply E-rated tires on, along with a wireless TPMS system. I run these tires at the rated 80 psi cold pressure, and stick to 65 mph, and I've gone about 5k miles with no problems.

8. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I believe you can get a 225/75-16 in a 14 ply but probably way overkill for 7,200 pounds. don't think they make a commercial tire for a 15 inch wheel *edit just checked and saw that Carlise* See post below. Maxxis or Goodyear Endurance seems to be only good options

9. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

That Carlisle CSL 16 would be way overkill for 7,400 pounds. Plus I doubt your stock wheel would hold the pressures you would have to run. Maxxis 8008 or Goodyear Endurance is about our only option for that size that's good

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

That is some impressive fuel economy for towing a trailer.:D
    Depending on the load, I run my Maxxis tires a bit under the max pressure as it rides a bit better that way. Wear still looks great, but your TH is probably a lot closer to max weight for a single axle than my 5200lb rated 6x12.

Badger911GT3 likes this.
  11. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah, I wish I got that. Even though I go only 65 mph, I get only about 10-11 mpg pulling with a F150 3.5L ecoboost. I believe my TH is rated to carry 1,700 lbs, so when I have 2 bikes and a generator in there, I think I'm about 60% of its capacity.

12. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Definitely spin balance them. Some tire shops resist, but insist.

ducnut likes this.
  13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Does it make a diffrence on the motocross tracks that are called roads up there?:Poke::D

14. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

We roll here too. And the tires wear asymmetrically if you don’t, so yes.

15. 2blueYam

The capacity of your axle is likely the limiting factor on your weight and what you need to look at for how much load your tires are carrying. You have to add in the trailer weight and all the stuff you carry (including water) to get the % you are using for that.

16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

ducnut and TLR67 like this.
  17. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

That 65 mph speed rating is way old school. Lots and lots of ST rated trailer tires are now higher than that. What you are saying is was true years ago, not so much today. That's not saying that some of them are still 65 mph rated, but a lot of them now are higher.

18. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

That's not true. Tire load capacities on trailers are always going to be higher than the Axle weight rating. All bets are off if it's a used trailer that someone has changed tires on any maybe put something with less load capacity, but when they are new....tires will have higher capacity ratings (when inflated to the psi that is listed on the safety sticker of the trailer) than the trailer axle.

Here is an example for you....granted, I'm talking about a triple axle Toy Hauler, but the rules are the same. I have 6 tires that are "G" rated and a individual tire load capacity of 4080 lbs when inflated to the sidewall psi recommendation...110 psi. Six tires at 4080 lbs each gives me a total tire load capacity of 24,480 lbs. The axles are all rated at 7000 lbs. That gives me 3,480 lb of "excess" tire load capacity more than the axles are rated for. It's like that throughout the trailer world. The order of progression for overloading is .... adding enough weight that you are over the CCC of the trailer. Being over the CCC automatically puts you over the GVWR of the trailer. The next item to become overloaded...if you keep adding weight is the Axle(s). Then, if you keep adding weight, you will finally reach the tire load capacity.

And one final thought.....I too recommend the Maxxis 8008 ST trailer tires for the size trailers that y'all have. I ran them on two different enclosed trailers and never had one tire issues in over ten years of hauling bikes/stuff in the enclosed trailers that I had. The last enclosed trailer that I had, and sold in order to get a Toy Hauler, the Maxxis had a little over 15,000 miles on them and you could barely tell that they had been used. They're a great ST rated tire..

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  19. 2blueYam

I think we are roughly in agreement, but yes the CCC would be another thing. I was more speaking to the fact the just because the max on the tire says 85lb doesn’t mean you should put that much in them. In reality you shouldn’t go over either the CCC or axle rating. Depending on tongue weight, you could be over one, the other of both depending on the trailer and load.

Person I was responding to was putting 85lb of tire pressure in a trailer that likely was rated for 65lb and it probably rides like a brick and his wheels are likely not rated for 85lb either.

20. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

I have Goodyear Endurances on my 8.5x20 225/75/15 e - trailer weighs 3900lbs and has a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. Most of the time I'm less than 6000lbs and run the tires around 55 to 58 PSI and don't tow slow on the highway.

Here's Goodyear's chart for them with weight ratings/PSI - they're max rated for 87mph.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

According to their own chart, inflated to 45PSI, they'll still be rated higher than the GVWR of your toy hauler. For me, if they're over 60 PSI the trailer starts bouncing and the ride is terrible.

The two tire problems (1 trailer, 1 tow vehicle) I've had in the last ten years were both from picking up screws (set off the TPMS in the truck for the truck tire) and I caught the trailer tire screw because I check the pressures on the trailer before I leave the track and drive home (it was much easier changing the trailer tire in the paddock than on the side of the road). The truck tire was last month so now I have a tire plug kit in the truck and I switched out the 18inch standard spare with one of my 20inch OEM wheels and tires (it fits where the original spare went). I have one of those "wheel ramps" that can used to lift the trailer wheel off the ground and it's fantastic (if you have another person guiding and telling you when to stop) - if you travel alot by yourself, I'd definitely keep a bottle jack as well. Also the Milwaukee cordless impact makes pulling the lugs stupid fast.