1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on trailer tires

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Rotella

2. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Both of those things, over inflating a tire and whether or not the wheel is rated for the pressures that the tire is running, is certainly something that needs to be taken into consideration. And another thing that many folks either do not know..or don't realize is that the pressure that is stamped on the side of the tire is there to tell you 1. The maximum cold pressure that the tire should be inflated to. 2. That is the pressure required in order to have the rated load capacity that the tire says it has. Any cold pressure under that amount of psi will reduce the load capacity of the tire. The best bet is to follow the guidance of the safety sticker on the vehicle....car, truck, trailer, whatever and inflate the tire to the pressure that the manufacturer of the trailer tells you that it should be. Obviously, if the tires have been changed out to a different size/rating, those stickers are no longer a reliable source of tire inflation information.

3. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

We agree that Michelin makes the best road race tires, but I switched from Maxxis 8008 to the radial Carlisle and it wears much better on my trailer. It also has speed rating from the manufacturer, which I didn't see at the time I bought the Maxxis (2014). This is stupid, but the Carlisle is a better looking tire from tread pattern to side wall. I tow at 80+ and never had an issue with a blow out with either one, but the Carlisle is the better wearing between the two.

4. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

Reviving an old thread.

Coming back from the track Monday evening my Carlisle tire exploded and ripped the fender off my trailer, the fender flew over the cars behind me and landed safely in the grass. The tire still held pressure, just the tread ripped off like it was a retread even though it wasn't. It could have caused some awful carnage and I am thankful it didn't! I had all 4 tires inflated properly, the tires are ~5 years old and the trailer is typically stored in the garage when not in use. It looks like the Maxxis 8008's were the favorites in this thread, are they still? I will likely replace all 4 as I don't want this to happen again.

This is a good reminder to check your tires, tire pressures, etc., I had no idea it would rip the fender off during a failure and this is with a quality trailer manufacturer.

Attached Files:

5. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I've always heard a rule of replace every 3 years for trailer tires..ymmv the Maxxis are very popular and I will put a plug again for the Goodyear Endurance (usa made) They also have a higher speed rating

Mike Lafayette likes this.
  6. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

curious what your speed was?

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

"carlisle is better".. and "wears much better"... yet then the VERY NEXT post, has a guy that had the tread fly off his carlisle tire. LOL .. there's a reason so many like the maxxis trailer tire. it's good. ;) the multitude of those praising the maxxis trailer tire can't ALL be wrong.

yep. putting a lot of mileage on the trailer, i was replacing every 2 years, even if a bit of tread left.. 3 isn't a bad policy.

8. Mike Lafayette

We were going ~75 mph, I attached a picture of what the tire looks like.

Attached Files:

9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I need to slow my ass down...I can tell you that driving my 26' RV while pulling 5440 lbs (CAT scales) of 7x16x7 enclosed trailer and bikes, that it has a 'governor' or speed limiter of 85 mph.

I do have new Load D tires on the trailer and new TOYO's on the RV.

10. Mike Lafayette

I have heard different things about the speed rating of some trailer tires. I called the manufacturer of the trailer and they said the tires they put on are 65 mph tires. I will be looking at the speed rating of the new tires I put on. I had no idea it would rip the fender off the trailer, it was an eye opener for sure.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I recently swapped from Maxxis E-rated 225’s to Goodyear Endurance D-rated 205’s(*), with the same cargo weight, 65psi, up to 95°F, 1300 loaded miles, 1300 empty miles, and no issues. Of course, I don’t pull faster than 60mph.

Discount Tire guy said he’s yet to see a Goodyear Endurance failure.

Goodyear Endurance are rated for 87mph.

*205 section width fits my trailer better than a 225, which is why I stepped down in width.

Mike Lafayette and Lawdog78 like this.