1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: I don't know everything about it. I do know we're being lied to. I know this by talking to those infectious disease folks you mentioned. I know from reading the CDCs own guidelines. I know from watching how they're slowly trying to back down from their earlier chicken little attitude hoping no one notices. Every medical professional I've talked to other than you thinks this is bullshit...

sheepofblue and tropicoz like this.
  2. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I can show you my case logs? But you probably wouldn't believe that either.

3. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I'm not denying there has been plenty of politicizing of this. I agree with you there.

4. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I maybe do about 2-3 dialysis catheters at one hospital a month.
    in the month of March and April before I got sick...

Attached Files:

5. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

The ID docs I know dressed in more protective gear than I did or some felt the risk greater than the reward and never went in the patients' rooms.
    I haven't see any ID docs saying that this is all bullshit.

Except for maybe that one nutcase peddling hydroxychloroquine as a cure about a month ago...

6. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

But hey, it's cool. This is your site. this is your platform...
    I'll shut up a little.

7. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, one more thing...
    I'm not now seeing many cases severe enough to require my services in the hospitals I work at. I was called in every day this holiday weekend and not one had covid. Yeah!
    If it were like now back in March and April when the sky was falling, I would agree with you.
    If there is wholesale panic in the coming month and I still don't see much of a bump in severe cases, I will also be on your side.

But damn man, in the peak in April, patients in the ER were getting intubated then waiting for ICU patients to die so they could go up there to die... Absolutely tragic...

You've got your reality. I've got mine.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I heard an amusing comparison that I guess made good sense. If you wheeled a guy in a wheelchair to the edge of a cliff and left him there, he's more or less OK. But then a huge gust of wind (WuFlu) comes by and sends him flying off the cliff to his untimely demise. Was it the wind that killed him? If there was no wind or he wasn't sitting next to the edge of a cliff and a big gust of wind knocked him over out of his chair he'd still be basically alright. Circumstantial as it may be, that's the way things work.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All bullshit is relative - none I know say it doesn't exist. Just the response makes no sense at all.

JCW likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The reality is not one hospital in or near ATL got that at all. ER's were empty, ICU's had a few but not overfull, CC units were empty and sadly still are to an extent.

11. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Sh!t, I can almost agree with that...

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's actually not true Mongo.

I posted about it way back in this same thread. Specifically that the US was tracking COVID deaths the same way we track flu deaths, which is why we were speculating our numbers were higher than China's. In China they only counted a COVID death if it was COVID that killed you, otherwise they called it cancer or pneumonia or whatever. In the US we tracked COVID deaths just as we do it with flu. It's called the "estimated flu burden".

13. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

And that is the hugely confusing thing about this...
    And so I understand your skepticism.
    I suppose I was in your shoes when it was in New York and Washington and not in Chicago, too.

Reported mortality rates continue to drop... yeah...

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, yet again no - per the CDC on their own website showing how they classify covid deaths and it is not the same as flu.

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

The whole point of this is to crush the medical delivery system and bring universal health care. Uncle Joe said so on TV

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Or maybe it was that, I dunno.....I just recall that there was a discrepancy is the way we were counting COVID deaths compared to the way China was.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sure there is - but there is also one in how we count covid versus other deaths.

18. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

CDC does not determine cause of death for patients. They cannot change what is on the death certificate or what is reported. They can manipulate the data but can't add or subtract additional raw data.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The CDC dictated how docs were supposed to classify deaths on death certificates. So yeah.....

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/...xlnAGQ7a4N_oTtXvUKk8K-oKt11DBY7-4nz_VAFFLQvH4

https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.cste.org/resource/resmgr/2020ps/Interim-20-ID-01_COVID-19.pdf

Confirmed & Probable Counts
    As of April 14, 2020, CDC case counts and death counts include both confirmed and probable cases and deaths. This change was made to reflect an interim COVID-19 position statementpdf iconexternal icon issued by the Council for State and Territorial Epidemiologists on April 5, 2020. The position statement included a case definition and made COVID-19 a nationally notifiable disease. Nationally notifiable disease cases are voluntarily reported to CDC by jurisdictions.

A confirmed case or death is defined by meeting confirmatory laboratory evidence for COVID-19.

A probable case or death is defined by one of the following:

• Meeting clinical criteria AND epidemiologic evidence with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19
    • Meeting presumptive laboratory evidence AND either clinical criteria OR epidemiologic evidence
    • Meeting vital records criteria with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID19
    Not all jurisdictions report probable cases and deaths to CDC. When not available to CDC, it is noted as N/A. Please note that jurisdictions may reclassify probable cases at any time to confirmed cases (if confirmatory laboratory evidence is obtained) or withdraw probable case reports entirely if further public health investigation determines that the individual most likely did not have COVID-19. As a result, probable case counts can fluctuate substantially. A jurisdiction might even report a negative number of probable cases on a given day, if more probable cases were disproven than were initially reported on that day.

My favorite -

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/coronavirus/Alert-1-Guidance-for-Certifying-COVID-19-Deaths.pdf

Especially this line - "It is important to emphasize that Coronavirus Disease 2019 or COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death."

Always fun to have public policy determined by assumptions.

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You dick... You took Garth's post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.